Why nobody cares what movie and TV critics think.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nobody cares what movie or TV critics think about their entertainment.

Back in the day, when the newspaper and magazines were one of the few ways to get an advance critique of a movie or TV show, critics were relevant. Other ways were talking to friends or acquaintances who saw the movie or show. Critical reviews these days are CONSISTENTLY way off. Many suspect it is because the studios and TV showrunners pay them to say nice things about their movies and shows. The real telling reviews come from viewers and audiences now, NOT professional critics.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_wars_the_last_jedi/

LastJediRT.PNG

I can't remember the last time the professional critics got it right.

It has become so obvious to most people that they are now pretty much ignored as a source of objective criticism. Professional critics are paid money to write their reviews. Audiences pay money to see movies and they spend their personal time watching shows. Who are you gonna listen to? Exactly.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/ghostbusters_2016/

GhostbustersATC.RT.PNG

It is sorta like on Amazon, where you read the ad copy for a product, and basically scroll past it and click the reviews section (many go straight for the one-star reviews because the 5-star reviews can be shilled by paid critics too). The internet has given audiences and TV viewers the ability to share their personal opinions after having watched a movie or a TV show, and it comes from my perspective as a viewer, not as a canned blurb from what is technically a paid salesperson whose job it is to draw in customers/viewers/patrons. This is the root of this article. Critics are being ignored and for good reason.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/orville/s01/

TheOrvilleRT.PNG

Just how long do professional critics think they are going to be relevant, even to the studios paying them?

Oceans8RT.PNG

Everybody knows by now that there is a huge disconnect between the Hollywood producers and creators, TV showrunners, and what the audiences want or will like. Sites like these reviews were taken from like Rotten Tomatoes, Metacritic and others which are the bread and butter of paid critics are only valuable for the audience reviews which appear on their sites. The days of professional reviews without audience responses in the form of comment sections are over for good.

DiscoveryRT.PNG

People are sharing their personal reviews on social media, on blogs, and sites like this one. Where does the professional critic fit into all of that? Nowhere. They are obsolete. Why does anyone need a paid critic to tell them whether or not a movie is good or bad? If the critiques were accurate, they might have a bit of credibility, but they are CONSISTENTLY wrong.

Does anyone still care about professional critic reviews? Not this writer!

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It's part studios paying and part critics letting their politics influence their judgment. And seeing it happen constantly demonstrates the "critics" are out of touch with what real people look for.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's part studios paying and part critics letting their politics influence their judgment. And seeing it happen constantly demonstrates the "critics" are out of touch with what real people look for.

At this point, the critics are in a desperate situation. Much like print journalists, newspaper editorial writers and just about anyone whose foundation is based in print media. Just about every existing "respected" critic came from a newspaper or a magazine, and then transitioned into online media. The newspapers are drying up as well as magazines (but not books). To them, a meaty paycheck paid to write glowing reviews of turds must seem like a good deal. At least it pays the bills, right? :) Thing is, they have diminished the notion of a paid critic and made it obsolete. I still read critic reviews online. But that is never enough, because they are ALWAYS so far off the mark. They love stuff I find unwatchable, and they hate stuff I really like. And it isn't just me, it appears to be for a majority of viewers and audiences. I consistently see the critics get it wrong. And I read their reviews and end up scratching my head at what they are saying. Here is a sampling from Rotten Tomatoes on The Last Jedi.

thelastjedi.PNG

LAUGHABLE!

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:

Were they watching the same movie? It was not only a bad Star Wars film it was (being charitable) incompetent as an action film overall.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
:icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao::icon_rotflmao:

Were they watching the same movie? It was not only a bad Star Wars film it was (being charitable) incompetent as an action film overall.

It is going across the board with these critics. We mostly concentrate on scifi and fantasy, but they are also getting the dramatic works wrong as well. They are like Super Shills. :) And when you see how these movies they gush over get dragged by audiences, the reviews are pure comedy to read!

I think we're in a pivotal "no mans land" right now when it comes to the production and distribution of movies and TV shows. The corporations are used to having total control of the narrative from start to finish, including advertising and promotion. But now the general public is able to disseminate the truth about what Hollywood is cranking out and TPTB are in a state of disbelief because their old paradigm is no longer working. Their immediate response has been to take an arrogant posture, put their corporate fingers in their ears, and ignore the fact that a lot of their stuff is being rejected by the public. We're seeing this with the fake shill reviews for crap like TLJ and STD, etc. We're seeing this in the refusal to make changes in the flawed stories they are telling despite the hue and cry from the public. Obviously this tactic will fail in the long run and the studios will have to retrench and figure out a way to incorporate the public's input in regards to productions. If they don't they will continue to lose their markets.

At least that's how I see it because it seems logical, doesn't it? After all, you can't fudge the numbers forever. You can't fake reality when it comes to the box office. You can't hide your over-valued stock share in index funds forever (Netflix). You can't continue to waste millions (billions) on terrible producers and writers and professional shills and bogus advertising because that stuff will ultimately fail. The numbers do not lie and the ticket-buying public can only be fooled for so long. That is reality and the studios are going to have to accept that at some point.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Roger Ebert said that the studios would provide free food and drink for critics in an attempt to influence their reviews. He also said that he would never take advantage of the freebies because he didn't want to be influenced.

Roger Ebert said that the studios would provide free food and drink for critics in an attempt to influence their reviews. He also said that he would never take advantage of the freebies because he didn't want to be influenced.

I believe it's gone far beyond free food and drinks by this point. I'm sure many "critics" are paid employees in some fashion. Their "reviews" are thinly veiled endorsements that they are compensated for. There is no other reason for such a lack of objectivity by so many of these critics.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
HE wouldn't, no. But looking at the sources chosen by Rotten Tomatoes, we see obscure little newspaper and magazine critics billed as "Top Critic", who will gladly gush over a warm turd. Why would they do that if they were not being paid to? :) I was laughing out loud reading the critical reviews for The Last Jedi and Discovery on Rotten Tomatoes. They are so silly that some of them sound like actual jokes or sarcasm disguised as praise. Here is an excerpt from one of the RT reviewers:

http://www.cinemasight.com/review-star-wars-the-last-jedi-2017/ (review for The Last Jedi)

Even those who aren’t tremendous fans of the Star Wars franchise can still sit down and enjoy this film alongside more devout audiences who take each moment and soak it in, relish it, and ultimately embrace it as a new part of the mythos that only grows in popularity and reverence with each passing year. This eighth episode is easily the best since the original trilogy and might even rank closer to the top thanks to its weighty issues, compassionate approach to humanity, and its ability to excite, thrill, and enrapture even when cutting a new path through the universe.

Did this guy watch the film himself? Popularity for Star Wars has never been lower than it is now. The prequels dragged it down, but The Force Awakens buoyed it back up before The Last Jedi brought it to the brink of death where it is right now.

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Sorry, haven't allowed anyone to influence my choice off movies since I was 10 or so. :P

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
An acquaintance of mine who was a car reviewer of Cars at The Toronto Star admitted a few years ago that the car manufacturer would pay them outright to give there car a good review or call it Car Of The Year like that pso of mine got it's first year out ( 2013 Hungdie ElantraSH !!! ) and you guys know how that turned out for me , lying mf's. So now the film industry has also adopted this practice of money under the table and there all good , nudge nudge ...

An acquaintance of mine who was a car reviewer of Cars at The Toronto Star admitted a few years ago that the car manufacturer would pay them outright to give there car a good review or call it Car Of The Year like that pso of mine got it's first year out ( 2013 Hungdie ElantraSH !!! ) and you guys know how that turned out for me , lying mf's. So now the film industry has also adopted this practice of money under the table and there all good , nudge nudge ...

Many people are now "woke" to the scourge of paid shills in various industries, namely the entertainment industry. In only a few short years the studios have over played their bullshit and it's obvious as hell now. The Last Jedi is probably the biggest example of this BS, although we see it with things like STD too. The negative comments on shill articles promoting this garbage prove that people are now aware of the advertising "fraud" being committed.

I also think many websites are desperate to become relevant and financially successful hence their willingness to participate in the charade. They know that if they play the good lap dog and spew what the studios/corporations want to hear these entities will continue to throw work (money) their way. It's basically prostitution on a corporate level. The only difference between these shills and street walkers is that street walkers are honest about what they're offering.

Hugh Jass

GateFans Cadet

He was a car reviewer of cars? My friend is a restaurant reviewer of restaurants but he spends an awful lot of time criticizing his next door neighbor.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This shilling thing is getting worse and worse, and as soon as those paying the shills realize that their strategy is no longer working, they will stop wasting their money. It will come down to the audience, right where it counts. Unless you make a great movie or series, no amount of praise (paid or otherwise) is going to make it better.