Why does google ask you to log into its services?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Has anyone ever asked or wondered why on earth google likes to stalk people? I mean, if you try to use their app store, it asks you to log in when downloading a FREE app. Why? What business does it have to know what app I am downloading? It does the same thing with google maps. Is it for target advertisement?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Has anyone ever asked or wondered why on earth google likes to stalk people? I mean, if you try to use their app store, it asks you to log in when downloading a FREE app. Why? What business does it have to know what app I am downloading? It does the same thing with google maps. Is it for target advertisement?

Because they need to sync your settings across devices and store the settings in the cloud. They cannot do that if you dot sign in. But if you choose not to sign in, you should be able to get the app online as an .apk

Are we talking about a mobile device here? If so, you cant get around it. You MUST sign in to use Google Play. You can tweak your settings at Google.

Last edited:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I've been having as little to do with Google as possible.

They're too bleeping nosy for my liking.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Considering that I use Gmail, it is probably a good idea that they ask me to log on before letting me see my mail.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Because they need to sync your settings across devices and store the settings in the cloud. They cannot do that if you dot sign in. But if you choose not to sign in, you should be able to get the app online as an .apk

Are we talking about a mobile device here? If so, you cant get around it. You MUST sign in to use Google Play. You can tweak your settings at Google.

Yeah, I mean using mobile. I really wish Google didn't exist though. Google is one superpower we all should be cautious with.I am no conspiracy troll, but I don't like just anyone having hold of my information and not telling me what they're going to do with it. While to some this maybe paranoia, but you can't just let the unique information that identifies YOU,fall under anyone's hand. That information can be used against you in any shape or form. It's a breach of privacy too..

The thing is, my linkedin account details were lifted by a company in holland, and they look like a scam company wanting money to take takedown requests. It's a company called cottusinfo and they went around phising 55 million linkedin accounts and just my luck, my account got snooped.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Yeah, I mean using mobile. I really wish Google didn't exist though. Google is one superpower we all should be cautious with.I am no conspiracy troll, but I don't like just anyone having hold of my information and not telling me what they're going to do with it.

Au contraire, they're quite up front about what they're doing with it in their usage policy. Anything they damned well please. :icon_lol:

While to some this maybe paranoia, but you can't just let the unique information that identifies YOU,fall under anyone's hand. That information can be used against you in any shape or form. It's a breach of privacy too..

The thing is, my linkedin account details were lifted by a company in holland, and they look like a scam company wanting money to take takedown requests. It's a company called cottusinfo and they went around phising 55 million linkedin accounts and just my luck, my account got snooped.

Use a throwaway Google account and never enter any personally identifiable information anywhere using that account. Problem solved.

You're not forced to log into anything to use an Android device but you will lose out on all the goodies that come with it, such as automated backups, profile and config sharing across multiple devices, etc.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, I mean using mobile. I really wish Google didn't exist though. Google is one superpower we all should be cautious with.I am no conspiracy troll, but I don't like just anyone having hold of my information and not telling me what they're going to do with it. While to some this maybe paranoia, but you can't just let the unique information that identifies YOU,fall under anyone's hand. That information can be used against you in any shape or form. It's a breach of privacy too..

The way around that is using little or false information when registering. Do not fill out 'optional" fields. Do not use your actual birthday on anything not official. It is not illegal or unethical to use a home address of 1234 Nowhere Street, Anywhere, CA 90210 (my favorite address :)) when joining a website or even to get store discount purchase cards. Of course, use the real info when applying for credit cards and doing banking and stuff like that. Why would Google need my home address? The credit card which is linked to my Google Play account belongs to Capital One and they have my address. Google does not need it. Amazon needs my address and contact information to ship stuff to me. Google does not.

Google is Skynet. :) You are responsible for knowing this, and protecting your online persona. Withhold information as much as possible. When presented with "optional" fields to fill out, take the option of not filling them out.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Yep, they've gotten too facebook-y. But I do exploit their google drive and make multiple throwaway accounts for more space if need be.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Google is Skynet. :) You are responsible for knowing this, and protecting your online persona. Withhold information as much as possible. When presented with "optional" fields to fill out, take the option of not filling them out.

You're Vulcan, aren't you? Just lie in those fields. :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You're Vulcan, aren't you? Just lie in those fields. :icon_lol:

I hate doing that. :). I just leave them blank. But I do lie in the birthday and adress and phone number fields. Why would anyone want text alerts to advise them of sales going on at a tire store after they have just bought a set? :facepalm:.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I know someone who put "Batman" as the answer in as many slots as were allowed.

ROTFLMAO

I sometimes go into an establishment and when I go to pay they ask for my cellphone number. I always ask them why, and they can only tell me half the time! I knew it was just a way to force more advertising on me so I give 777-9311. :) (anybody get that one?)