Why are they rebooting Hellboy?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Makes little sense to me except that Ron Perlman is getting up there in age and may not be physically up to the part anymore. But this does not sound good at all and sounds pale compared to the two Del Toro films.

I think the Del Toro ones hold up quite well and are not stale or dated at all. No need to redo them. It's one thing if they simply wanted to continue the story (maybe with a different actor in the lead role) but to completely reboot it in terms of origin story is dumb. So is trying to compete with Del Toro because it's inevitable that the comparison is going to be made and chances are his version is going to come out on top.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I agree. Del Toro had a vision that took a comic that was rather too grim and as a result was a bit fringe and made it a really fun watch. I still remember Hellboy and Abe Sapien drunk in the second movie:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Huh? Why reboot this particular film? It does not need rebooting. The story was told already. I am sooooo tired of all the freakin reboots! Why don't they reboot some things that need rebooting? Candidates:

When Worlds Collide
Fantastic Voyage
Colossus: The Forbin Project
Soylent Green
The Invaders
They Live
Star Trek (yes, this belongs on the list because Discovery does not count)

There is so much out there they can continue as well:

Firefly
Stargate Atlantis (maybe no, because of Brad Wright)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually I would not want any of those films rebooted for a simple reason - there is no reason to believe they would be handled correctly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Actually I would not want any of those films rebooted for a simple reason - there is no reason to believe they would be handled correctly.

Somebody could do them. The Invaders would be the easiest to do. It requires no space scenes, no rubberface, no special sets. It could be done as easily as any cop drama or detective show is done today. When Worlds Collide could be done right as a miniseries of about 6 episodes, or perhaps 3. But it should never have been a movie. I have ideas about the others on that little list, but somebody is out there who can do it.

But back to Hellboy....why reboot this? Makes no sense. What are they gonna reboot next, Powder? The Green Mile?

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
More shit reboots ! wth ,,, Of course if they follow along the lines of the game more then this might be good ...

Ok so I watched that trailer . It looks a lot like the game ...Maybe I swore too soon ,,,

;)

After seeing the trailer I feel the same way. I'm on the fence about it. I loved the original game and played it on PC back in the 90's. It was super fun. The Angelina Jolie movies were okay, not great but okay. I liked how they made the Tomb Raider world very large. That's what worries me about this new one. The acrobatics and death-defying scenes need to be epic so I hope they do a good job of it.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I never really played Tomb Raider, aside from one time for a bit fairly recently. I do hope the movie is good and if it is that they'll make a series of movies.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I play the most recent TR games also and the trailer made it look almost bang on to scenes in the game that you have to puzzle your way through . Should be interesting .
;)

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
These Tomb Raider posts deserve to be split off into their own thread.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I'm not even gonna bother with the trailer.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Lack of fresh ideas!

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
Lack of fresh ideas!

:tealc_newanime006: :smiley-white-flag:

Hollywood has been out of fresh ideas for so long that it's embarrassing. I guess all of the good stories have already been told. So, nothing to see here - move along...

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Footnote: The film was panned by everyone and bombed spectacularly.