Who is the best Star Trek captain? - a heated debate.

Who is the best Trek Captain?

• Total voters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Not mine. They were really too different to compare as one and the same. Now their looks..... well ,that is a girl thing. :P

The way I see it, Chris Pine's Kirk is sorta like a "real life" version of the caricature Kirk in TOS, even though both were fictional characters. Even in the 1960s, Shatner's Kirk was unrealistic given the role he had. I know, they werent going for "realism"...but Chris Pine's Kirk is somehow more believable than Shatner's Kirk. I cant comment on the looks so much, they are both decent looking guys I guess...its the style they have where I can see the biggest difference.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I'm gonna have to go with Kirk first then Picard. Had to pick Kirk first cause his name is a freakin verb nowdays. And Picard cause he was probably the most memorable of the later on captains, love him or hate him, he is just one of the few faces that stand out in sci-fi.

G

Graybrew1

The way I see it, Chris Pine's Kirk is sorta like a "real life" version of the caricature Kirk in TOS, even though both were fictional characters. Even in the 1960s, Shatner's Kirk was unrealistic given the role he had. I know, they werent going for "realism"...but Chris Pine's Kirk is somehow more believable than Shatner's Kirk. I cant comment on the looks so much, they are both decent looking guys I guess...its the style they have where I can see the biggest difference.

Okay well to be serious for a minute here.

Pine was a much more realistic Kirk in every way. He was intended to be so. Just as Shatner was played as over the top and camp. He was intended to be. I can't compare the two of them for pure merits because they played the same character in two different time zones. One in the sixties and one in modern times. Not the storyline but when the show/movie was made. The are actually leaps and bounds apart from each other. Because of the alt timeline Pine's Kirk was different to a degree but Shatner's Kirk was the same in every scene everytime. Shatner has a definte cult draw to him for the ages, but Pine is more mainstream for all audiences. But that is just IMHO.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think Chris Pine did a great job of channeling just enough of Shatner (especially at the end) to be a convincing Kirk. He wasn't over the top with the Shatner schtick but there were hints of Shatner's personality that came thru.

The casting was damn good on the reboot movie and Abrams did a great job directing it. I can't wait for the next one!

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Katherine "Action" Janeway FTW!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wC5PUbi0Zus