What would your "dream computers" be?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My dream computer is an uber smartphone with an 8core processor and 2TB of storage memory and a 6" screen that can be docked with a convenient stand that outputs the video at 4K to a monitor and a keyboard and mouse and multiple USB ports on the dock. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I do not think my vision is good enough to be able to tell 4K apart from regular old HD.

Mine is (with glasses far away), but there is not much difference at all. At 8', you really can't tell the difference at all even with perfect vision.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
So I built my new PC and what hell it has been . Here is what has happened over the last few months.
First I had to upgrade to play a few of my racing games as my AMD system at 4.5ghz was not cutting it . I went out and got the Intel i7700k with a new mother board and new ram but am using a SSD that I had that was extra . Also purchased a new vid card Sapphire RX480 at 8ghz .
I also purchased a new and fancy curved monitor from Samsung to give me that better viewing when trying to see the racing line .
First off after the build , nothing would happen . Turned it on , everything was fine on the mb but nothing on the monitor . After switching out to my previous GPU card the puter worked . So took the GPU card back and got another one . Installed that one . Same thing . Nothing but now I had a GPU fault on the MB . So I also replaced the MB . Back to get another vid card/switched to ASUS STRIX and new MB . Worked for a few days then , boom , nothing . Now on my fourth GPU card and also found my $500 monitor was also acting up . Take that in for repair . The monitor needed a new motherboard and psu plug was replaced . Puter worked for a few weeks then boom , puter kept locking up and vid card was making buzzing singing noises . Took that GPU directly to ASUS and after 2 weeks got a brand new GPU . Were you able to keep count ? ? 5 GPU vid cards/ 1 MB /1 rebuilt monitor ...wtf eh ... Now I find this info out about the i7700k .

http://www.pcgamer.com/intels-tells...source=facebook&utm_campaign=buffer_pcgamerfb

So far after 2 weeks everything is working tho I have been away and have not played any games yet on this system . What a nightmare and pain in the trouble shooting PC butt .
I guess quality is not on par with new PC parts or something . To have so many things fail on a new build was nuts and frustrating as hell .
I still have my AMD 8core working fine at 4.5ghz and an old Intel system running at 4ghz with no problems . The new build is barely running over 4ghz but I will admit , it is much faster than the other 2 units .
This will be my last build . I will just buy a gaming PC next time .

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That does sound pretty bad. As far as I can see the main difference between your build and a typical gaming PC build from a boutique is they tend to not use AMD CPUs or GPUs. They seem to be using NVidia GTX 1080s and above in the couple I checked.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That does sound pretty bad. As far as I can see the main difference between your build and a typical gaming PC build from a boutique is they tend to not use AMD CPUs or GPUs. They seem to be using NVidia GTX 1080s and above in the couple I checked.

I have never seen a pre-configured gaming computer using AMD CPU/Radeon GPU setups either. Most all games are designed to use Nvidia GPU/Intel

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Here's my dream computer.

ND-17
Details
Laptop Platform: ND-17
Laptop Exterior: ORIGIN PC Black
Current Special Offers: Dads and Grads Promo
The ORIGIN Difference: ORIGIN PC ND-17 - Unrivaled Quality & Performance
Display Type: QFHD 3840 x 2160 17.3" IPS G-SYNC Display
Screen Calibration: ORIGIN PC LCD Screen Calibration
Keyboard and Touchpad: Backlit Multi-Color Keyboard
Graphic Cards: Dual NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 8GB [VR Ready]
Processors: Intel Core i7 7700K Quad-Core 4.2GHz (4.5GHz TurboBoost)
Thermal Compound: GELID GC-Extreme CPU Application
Thermal Compound: GELID GC-Extreme Graphics Card Application
Memory: 64GB G.Skill Ripjaws 3000MHz (4 X 16GB)
Operating System: MS Windows 10 Professional
M.2 SSD Option: m.2 SSD OS Drive
M.2 RAID Configuration: RAID 1: For better data safety and security (2 identical drives needed)
M.2 SSD Drive: 2TB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2
M.2 SSD Drive Two: 2TB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2
M.2 SSD Drive Three: 2TB Samsung 960 Pro PCIe NVMe M.2
Hard Drive RAID Configuration: RAID 1: For better data safety and security (2 identical drives needed) LT
Hard Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Series
Hard Drive Two: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Series
Audio: Integrated High-Definition Audio powered by Sound Blaster Xfi MB5 w/ external 7.1 support
Onboard LAN: Dual Killer™ E2400
Networking: Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 + BT Combo
SuperSpeed USB 3.1: SuperSpeed USB 3.1
SuperSpeed+ USB 3.1 Type-C: USB 3.1 Type-C
Media Card Reader: Media Card Reader
Finger Print Reader: Integrated Biometric Area Fingerprint Reader
Integrated Camera: Built-in 2.0M FHD Video Camera
Capture Cards: Avermedia Live Gamer Portable 2 Capture Card
Warranty: Lifetime 24/7 U.S. Based Support and Lifetime Free Labor. 1 Year Part Replacement & 45 Day Shipping Warranty
ORIGIN Recovery: ORIGIN Recovery USB3.0 Flash Drive
No Dead Pixel Guarantee: 45 Day No Dead Pixel Guarantee Free
Total: $12,370.70

ultimatelaptop.png

I made the screenshot before I got the configuration by email so since I went through al that trouble I thought I'd might as well add it.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
The good news is, it's only about 13783.25 dollars to go before I'd have saved up enough money to buy this.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The good news is, it's only about 13783.25 dollars to go before I'd have saved up enough money to buy this.

Check those couch cushions, dude! :) I would consider getting a sewing pattern for a ski-mask and start whittling a pistol out of soap. :icon_lol:

That is a MONSTER of a machine! It might become sentient. :hide;

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
How's this?

Chassis Mach V
Chassis Logo Insert White Light
Power Supply EVGA SuperNOVA P2 - 1200 Watt
Motherboard Asus® X99 Rampage V Edition 10
Processor Intel® XeonTM E5-2699 V4 22 Cores, 44 Threads, 3.6GHz Processor Overclock No Overclock
Processor Cooler Asetek® Liquid Cooling 570LC
Memory 256GB - 8x32GB - 2133MHz Registered - ECC - LR
NVIDIA® TITAN Xp 12GB - Pascal NVIDIA® TITAN Xp 12GB - Pascal
Creative® Sound Blaster ZXR On-Board Ethernet
Operating System Drive - SSD Samsung® 960 Pro - 2TB SSD - M.2 - PCI Express
Data Drive - SSD or HDD Samsung® 850 EVO - 4TB SSD - SATA Data Drive - SSD or HDD Samsung® 850 EVO - 4TB SSD - SATA Optical Drive Blu-ray Writer
64-Bit Operating System Windows 10 Pro
Rescue Drive Rescue Drive USB
Warranty 3 Years Parts and Labor
Keyboard Corsair® K70 LUX RGB Cherry® MX Red Mechanical Mouse Logitech® G700s Wireless/Wired
Monitor Asus® PG348Q 34" 3440x1440 - G-SYNC

Granted a 22 Core CPU and 256GB of RAM should run most games...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How's this?

Chassis Mach V
Processor Intel® XeonTM E5-2699 V4 22 Cores, 44 Threads, 3.6GHz Processor Overclock No Overclock
Data Drive - SSD or HDD Samsung® 850 EVO - 4TB SSD - SATA Data Drive - SSD or HDD Samsung® 850 EVO - 4TB SSD - SATA Optical Drive Blu-ray Writer
Keyboard Corsair® K70 LUX RGB Cherry® MX Red Mechanical Mouse Logitech® G700s Wireless/Wired

skynet.jpg

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
How's this?

Chassis Mach V

Okay you win.
But I bet that's not a laptop! ;)

You might actually find that having a machine as advanced as this could cause unforeseen issues when trying to run games.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How's this?

Chassis Mach V

Ya think?

:daniel_new_anime021::shep_lol::SmileyLaughingTears::rotflmao::smiley-laughing024:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
The i7700k over heats so you will have to switch out that proccessor ...
Also I am only giving the Strix GPU 1 year of use if it even lasts that long then I will get a nVidia GPU .

;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I used a 22 Core Xeon