What if Money was never brought into existence

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by heisenberg, May 4, 2017.

1. heisenberg

heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

A really, really tough topic this. It's something we can't live without today but there is not much going around, but what if money did not exist? I think in the future eons to come, that might be true given that we are moving towards robots.

I don't think that's a bad thing. We tend to overdo ourselves in life. We should enjoy the stuff we have and people who grow up with. We live under this illusion that money can help us solve problems but it simply just shoves all problem into the corner until the problem gets so big that it starts cracking/seeping through. It's like we have this policy that we will deal with it later until it gets way too big to manage. Then you are simply applying bandaid after bandaid. It seems that the only way to go reckless and waste it all in one go.

It seems that we are born under this system that is broken from the start. It's not just with money, but with everything in life actually. Take for example a computer system. A very, very, very old computer system.

The same principle applies. It starts off great but then the system has trouble keeping up with demands. We build around it to provide support but there is so much it can do until it gets attacked and starts to breakdown fundamentally where it requires constant patches just to keep it on ICU. The only way is to pull the plug and start over or do a transplant but even then, system migration is never smooth sailing even if the bugs have been ironed out so there must be a better strategy, unless the system from the very beginning was designed to fail in the first place.

Infact I can safely say that all system are doomed to fail.

Last edited: May 4, 2017
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  2. Rac80

Rac80 The Belle of the Ball

Money was just a response to barter system, some dude got tired of carrying his goats and sheep (or grains and roots) everywhere to barter! ;) Money is what we use to barter...we get paid money for our time/talents/work so we "barter" that for food, shelter, fancy toys!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Interesting Interesting x 1
  3. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

Wow. Now we know what money is actually for!

;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

I see the creation of money as being a brilliant scam which allowed the first person to use it a way to get something for nothing. Now, we have more dollars than there are "somethings" for them to represent.

5. Lord Ba'al

Lord Ba'al GateFans Member

I was actually just thinking about what makes money come into existence. Prompted by the following image which I got from this article. (and as long as I'm mentioning sources I can add that I got it from this tweet which I only saw because Elon Musk retweeted it)

[​IMG]

The only way for money to "be born" legitimately seems to be to either take something that exists and sell it (for example mining) or to take something and make something out of it of a higher value and sell that. All the other things are just transactions moving existing money around, but they're not creating new money.