Watching this show fail in this humiliating fashion is like watching an egg dropping in slow motion.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It feels different now. Its like, everybody knows this is the last season of Stargate Universe, and both sides are preparing for the announcement. On our side, there is much joy connected with this feeling. On the other side, there is anger and frustration. But BOTH sides seem to be in agreement...this is the last season for Stargate Universe. I think the chances are just about NIL for a renewal.

The feeling is like watching an egg which has been dropped, but has not yet hit the pavement. We know what is going to happen when it hits, but as it falls, its still whole...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vBqPrRGFZS8

I think in the halls of TPTB, Mallozzi is feeling anger, whilst Brad is feeling frustration because his "baby" was not well received despite his assumption that SGU is somehow "dark, edgy and gritty" and for mature audiences. Just LOL. Mallozzi will lose his fancy office and his fancy sign:

img_8134.jpgmallozisign.jpg

All those boring sets and "Ancient" consoles, along with the contrived rusted paint schemes and that hideous SGU stargate/wheel of fortune will be auctioned off. I dont think they would fetch much anywhere, since the SGU stargate needs a spinning base to work (who is gonna buy it?). All has to go. But this time, there is no "next thing" in Stargate for these arrogant assholes. No more Stargate episodes to throw together, no more patting each other on the back for getting each other off. No more taking advantage of the fans...its all OVER. :puke::mallozzicry:

But its NOT over for Stargate. :)

Buzz on the Stargate sequels:

http://scifipulse.net/?p=14959 (from last October)

In a recent interview for SciFi Wire Stargate movie producers Roland Emmerich and Dean Devlin revealed that they’d both be game to do the two sequels, which they had originally planed for their 1994 movie Stargate, which as fans know spawned the television series of Stargate SG 1, Stargate Atlantis and now Stargate Universe.

Over the last few years Dean Devlin who developed the movie with Emmerich has told various news outlets that he’d loved to be able to continue the series, and now it seems that Roland Emmerich is just as enthusiastic despite his misgivings about movie sequels.

http://blastr.com/2009/10/roland-emmerich-still-gam.php (last October)

In 2006, Devlin told us: "We would just continue the mythology of the movie and finish that out. I think the series could still live at the end of the third sequel. So we're going to try to not tread on their stories."

"When we created the original Stargate, we always envisioned it as a trilogy, and, unfortunately, the way in which the movie got made, we didn't really have control over [it]," Devlin added. "I think it will be very exciting to actually get to go do parts two and three."

So this is an END to the current Stargate franchise with the current writers. But thats all that is ending. No more Mallozzi, no more Wright or Binder or any of those people. But Stargate will be revived later, because its a proven concept. Hopefully next time TPTB will not allow marginal writers to become entrenched in the franchise like these guys did. Sometimes, it seems, you cant trust people to step back on their own when they see that they can no longer do the job. If I was one of the MGM/Syfy execs who sat in on the pitch meeting that Brad and Cooper had regarding Stargate Universe, I would have been like, "So, you guys dont like doing Stargate anymore? Well, we wont be changing Stargate for that reason. But I do have openings in our scripted drama shows you might be interested in." That they allowed them to ruin the franchise is mind-boggling. :facepalm:

Jason1983

GateFans Noob
Mostly agree.

When it does get cancelled I will feel bad for the cast and crew...especially the crew since its not easy to find work in this economy. Like has been said before the cast is doing the best with what they are written. I think the biggest winner in the cast will be Tammara Johnson...very compelling actress.

I won't feel very bad for Wright, Cooper, and Mallozzi. I guess they just became arrogant. Blinded by their own success thinking they knew how to do anything (writing drama). At the sametime we are all human and make mistakes so I can forgive but they deserve whats coming (cancellation).

I think its possible we might still get a tv movie or two (Atlantis Extinction and SG-1 Revolutions.)
Because Syfy did not give up on the BSG franchise when they canned Caprica...they got another series coming.

I would love to see Emmerich and Devlins stargate sequels...to have new writers would be a breath of fresh air to the franchise. Wright, Cooper, and JM writing had gotten stale in the latter years of SG-1 and Atlantis.

And my Dad always thought the original Stargate movie was better than the series and I think many other people might have that opinion too.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thats me...

When it does get cancelled I will feel bad for the cast and crew...especially the crew since its not easy to find work in this economy. Like has been said before the cast is doing the best with what they are written. I think the biggest winner in the cast will be Tammara Johnson...very compelling actress.

I won't feel very bad for Wright, Cooper, and Mallozzi. I guess they just became arrogant. Blinded by their own success thinking they knew how to do anything (writing drama). At the sametime we are all human and make mistakes so I can forgive but they deserve whats coming (cancellation).

I think its possible we might still get a tv movie or two (Atlantis Extinction and SG-1 Revolutions.)
Because Syfy did not give up on the BSG franchise when they canned Caprica...they got another series coming.

I would love to see Emmerich and Devlins stargate sequels...to have new writers would be a breath of fresh air to the franchise. Wright, Cooper, and JM writing had gotten stale in the latter years of SG-1 and Atlantis.

And my Dad always thought the original Stargate movie was better than the series and I think many other people might have that opinion too.

Yep, thats me. I started my Stargate adventure with the movie, and everything that has come after that has been "spin off" to me. SG-1 was not an instant winner for me. It took about 5 episodes for me to really start loving it and loving the new Jack played by RDA as well as the new Daniel played by Michael Shanks. Samantha Carter was a nice surprise, but a scientist with her expertise is not usually IN the military. Generally, people like her character are civilians who are contracted exclusively by the military. Other than that, it became great for me and stayed that way even after they ripped of Trek's technology around season 6. Then came Atlantis, which was an instant winner from day one with me. After Atlantis was canceled, that was the end of Stargate. SGU is no more Stargate to me than a Cadillac Escalade is a Cadillac.

JohnSN7

GateFans Noob
I also watched the original movie first and loved it!

I'd love to see a sequel to the Stargate movie with Dean Devlin at the helm. It would be awesome! They've kind of already done that with the books, but he could do something new or take elements from those books to make a sequel.

I also think we could see a reboot. I personally would like a move sequel/reboot to (at least) take SG-1 and SGA canon into account because those are great shows and actual Stargate. But I'd rather see any true Stargate series, whether it's a reboot or movie sequel, than SGU.

I do think that SGU will be the end of Wright, Mallozzi, Cooper, and the rest of the creative team's involvement in the Stargate franchise. They are responsible for the decline in the franchise and any smart license holder would give the franchise to a new creative team. What was that about Brad Wright saying that Dean Devlin won't be able to make a Stargate sequel no matter how much he wants to? Haha

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
IIRC, Independence Day was supposed to be SG 2. Same premise, same plot, except it's O'Neill being badass :P

After some thought and review, i'm not sure i'd enjoy an SG movie from RE and DD right now. Their recent movies have been a bit more brainless and ultra action oriented. I'm really not sure who i'd want to handle SG.

That'd be a fun topic, different versions of SG depending on who wrote them! A fun exercise in creativity :P