Vintage Corvette

Discussion in 'Hobbies' started by Tripler, Oct 16, 2015.

1. Tripler

Tripler Well Known GateFan

• Like Like x 2
  2. shavedape

shavedape Well Known GateFan Staff Member

OMG, that looks almost exactly like my buddy's 1984 classic Corvette that we got rear-ended in on the Interstate last April. The car was totaled. And both of us are still being treated for the injuries. Not trying to be a Debbie Downer here but just be careful. Corvettes don't have much of a back end so if someone nails you it can be bad. And airbags aren't much help as we got shoved into the ceiling of the car, not into the dashboard and windshield.

One other thing, Corvettes have a ton of power but unless you go to the track you won't be able to enjoy it much as it's slow going on streets. It's frustrating to have that much power in your hands but not be able to use it.

Not trying to piss on your parade, just trying to tell you my experience. My buddy had his car for 13 years before something bad happened to it so there's that to consider. Also, his car appreciated in value to the tune of $3000 if you can believe it. He was smart and had a value-rated insurance policy so they paid him the full value for what it was worth today. :happy0007:

• Winner Winner x 2
  3. Tripler

Completely agree with you shaved . The ones were looking at have 375 hp 32 valve engines . Corvette's King Of The Hill beast . 1990 to 1995 . Fiberglass body's offer little protection indeed . Sorry to hear you are still healing from the accident . On another note a friend of mine told me a few years back this little word of advice . Which type of transportation do you think you would live longer with . A motorcycle or a car ?. I had to answer car of course . I know all to well how nasty a bike can be . I am surprised there are not more deaths on the roads watching some of the riders out there . Yes a car can be a deathbox also butyour chances are better and myself I really like vintage vehicles and having driven and raced in corvettes I feel it is a good route to go . My body won't let me ride bikes much longer I figure and the vet will be my next venue . Careful I am but as usually it is always the other guy ... I am sorry you and your friend were injured and that he lost his vintage car . But you have to admit . It's still pretty cool to be in a vet once and awhile ...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tripler

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So my friend and I went to look at the first ZR-1 in Montreal were I am right now actually heading back to Toronto by Train . I was staying in the same Hotel as John and Yoko lol .
    So where do I start here . The person who owned the vehicle was kind enough to pick us up at the airport and take us to were the car was being kept . John Scotti Exotic Cars . There was an ugly Bugatti at quite a steal at only $1,300,000 , Lamborginni's , Ferrari's , Ford GT , Bently's , Mercedes . Amongst all those insanely expensive cars was the 1991 ZR-1 red Corvette .
    As I walked towrards the car I noticed 2 or 3 mecahnics standing around the car . When I got closer I could see they were trying to boost it . No biggie as batteries die out in cars and this car was almost 25 years old . The car itself from my first view of it was filthy and so was the engine . Not a very good sign at all . The mechanics hooked a booster unit to the battery and while the battery was charging , I did my walk around and engine inspection . The car being as dirty as it was made it difficult to find the main faults in the finish . The owner / salesman was kind and honest enough to point out the gouges and scratches for me ... From what I saw the car would need a full repaint too if it were to be a show car or just to make it look at lot better than it was . I began to check fluids and such and it all mostly checked out . The engine oil was black and due for a change but I was fine with that . With the state of the filthy motor I would have been really more suspicious had it been clean as a whistle . For instance if the engine was leaking coolant into the engine block , it would show a milky surface on the oil dip stick and a fresh oil change would hide this fact . The brake , clutch fluids seemed ok . I removed the air intake and it was surprisingly clean so it may have just been replaced recently . The salesman/owner only drove it for 800 miles since he bought it a year ago . We got a carfax on the vehicle also and also paid for a head to stern inspection at John Scotti's garage . The car is originally from Florida and then made its way to Canada 2012 and was sold and bought a few times until it ended up in Montreal .
    Eventually the battery charger gave the car enough juice and the salesman/owner started the car up . It amazingly came to life quite quickly but I soon realized that it was only running on 7 cylynders when it has 8 . These cars have 16 fuel injectors and if even one is not workig correctly , it will run like crap . He had told us before about this issue but until you see and hear a 375 hp engine run incorrectly , it was surprising and sad at the same time . This car , the King of The Hill corvette , GM's flagship car of the 90's had been left to ill repair and possibly abused and never kept updated mechanically ...
    It was then time to get into the cockpit so I slung myself down into the car and looked forward to the guages and noticed right away that 3 very important ones were not working . Oil pressure , oil temp , engine temp . Ok . Probly an easy fix as perhaps some of the sensors needed to either have there eletrical connections cleaned or the sensors replaced which was something I could do . The next real eye opener was when I looked to the ignition itself and noticed that there were 2 wires shorted together and that the key was in place but that there was no tumbler . They had removed it basically to hot wire the car and start it up . Sheeeeeeese I thought to myself . What are they doing to this poor car . I asked the salesman/owner were the tumbler was . He casually told me like it was a normal thing that the tumbler was in the middle console . I opened the console and there it was lol and omg !!! . Wow this car was really not looking to promising and we decided even when they were boosting the battery that we most deffinately were not goig to buy it lol .
    With it running like a piece of crap , I decided to just putz around the parking lot to see how it shifted or if it even had brakes . I had already tested the handbrake and knew it worked . With the engine running so ruff it was difficult to shift but again it surprised me how good it felt to be back in a C4 Corvette . 2 minutes later I parked the ZR-1 and walked away from it feeling so sad because of the neglect that it had sustained and wishing I had the wear with all to restore it back to its glory ...
    This Friday we will be looking at another ZR-1 just north east of Toronto and hopefully it will not be a basket case vehicle like this sad little red car left alone in the back parking lot just waiting for the right person to put it back to its glory ...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Tripler

I test drove a similar 1995 ZR-1 today , same color , same interior , Dunn Heads . I went 100 mph in 3rd gear ...Holy crap was it amazing !!!

6. Tripler

This is the car I took for a drive today ... Wow !!!

image.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 15, 2015
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Tripler

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
  8. Tripler

This car is in very good condition for being 20 years old . The interior is perfect and every button , lever all function as they should . The motor starts smoothly and just growls when you hammer it . Amazing accelleration and I just love the 3 level ride control . Touring , Sport , Perfomance . You can really feel the difference with each setting . The LT5 aluminum block engines take a long time to warm up because the engine holds 12 1/2 quarts of motor oil . Most cars only hold 4 to 5 quarts .
    What more can I say but what a hell of an engine in that car . It really is a perfect match of muscle and finess . GM vehicles have always been cheap with there interior design but the C4 LT5 Corvette has all the bells and whistles and even looks good . Leather steering wheel and seats that even have air pressure abilty to add more side force to your hips and hold you in place .
    The view out from the cockpit is fantastic and pretty dam exciting to see the hood lift when you tramp it .
    Overall I give this car a 9 out of 10 score as it does have a few rock chips on the hood and fenders . You have to look hard to find them but they are there .
    The engine plenum has a bit of heat blistering on it from engine heat . The car did originate from Texas were 100 degrees is a cool day .
    Next step will be to decide to purchase . Price is still in negotiation and probly will be throughout the winter unless he finds another buyer in the meantime . No more test rides this year ...

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
  9. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

What is the gas mileage like for a Vette like that one? BTW, Vettes are ageless (like most specialty and luxury cars).

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. shavedape

shavedape Well Known GateFan Staff Member

What's winter storage like for a Vette in CN? My buddy would store his from November to April usually. Since it was licensed as a classic he wasn't allowed to drive it in the month of February. This might have been a requirement from the insurance company but I don't know all the details. It never really mattered to him because he stored it for the long haul each winter anyway.

• Informative Informative x 1
  11. Tripler

What is the gas mileage like for a Vette like that one? BTW, Vettes are ageless (like most specialty and luxury cars).

The ZR-1 Corvettes
    :) :) :)

ZR-1 (1990–1995)
    [​IMG]

1990 Corvette ZR-1
    [​IMG]

5.7 L (350 cu in) LT5 V8 in a C4 ZR-1
    [​IMG]

1995 Corvette ZR1 Window Sticker
    During 1986, General Motors acquired Group Lotus, the UK based engineering consulting and performance car manufacturing firm. The Corvette division approached Lotus with the idea of developing the world's fastest production car, to be based on the C4 generation Corvette. With input from GM, Lotus designed a new engine to fit in place of the L98 V8[citation needed] that was powering the standard C4. The result was what GM dubbed the LT5, an aluminum-block V-8 with the same bore centers as the L98, but with four overhead camshafts, 32 valves. Lotus also designed a unique air management system for the engine to provide a wider power band by shutting off 8 of the 16 intake runners and fuel injectors when the engine was at part-throttle, while still giving the ZR-1 375 hp (280 kW) when at wide open throttle. In addition to the engine, Lotus helped GM design the ZR-1's (which in prototype version was called "King of the Hill"[4]) upgraded braking and steering systems[citation needed], and helped them pick the settings for the standard "FX3" adjustable active ride control that Chevrolet was fitting to the car[citation needed], helping to ensure that the vehicle was more than just a modern-day muscle car with a big engine and no real capability on the track.

GM found that the engine required special assembly, and that neither the Corvette plant in Bowling Green, Kentucky nor any of their normal production facilities could handle the workload, so Mercury Marine corporation of Stillwater, Oklahoma was contracted to assemble the engines and ship them to the Corvette factory in Bowling Green where the ZR-1s were being assembled.

The vehicle went on sale in 1990 and was available only as a coupe. It was distinguishable from other Corvette coupes by its wider tail section, 11" wide rear wheels and its new convex rear fascia with four square shaped taillights and a CHMSL (center high mounted stop lamp) attached to the top of the hatch glass instead of between the taillights.

The ZR-1 displayed stunning ability both in terms of acceleration and handling capabilities, but carried with it an astonishingly high price. MSRP for the (375 hp) ZR-1 in 1990 was $58,995,[5] almost twice the cost of a (250 hp) non-ZR-1,[6] and had ballooned to $66,278 by 1995; some dealers successfully marked units as high as $100,000. Even at base MSRP, this meant that the ZR-1 was competing in the same price bracket as cars like the Porsche 964, making it a hard sell for GM dealers.

[​IMG]

1992 Corvette ZR1
    In 1991, the ZR-1 and base model received updates to body work, interior, and wheels. The rear convex fascia that set the 1990 ZR-1 apart from the base model found its way to all models, making the high-priced ZR-1 even less distinguishable. Further changes were made in 1992, including extra ZR-1 badges on the fenders and the introduction of Acceleration Slip Regulation (ASR) or traction control. For model year 1993, Lotus design modifications were made to the cylinder heads, exhaust system and valvetrain of the LT5, bringing horsepower up from 375 to 405. In addition, a new exhaust gas recirculation system improved emissions control. The model remained nearly unchanged into the 1995 model year, after which the ZR-1 was discontinued as the result of waning interest, development of the LS series engines, cost and the coming of the C5 generation. A total of 6,939 ZR-1s were manufactured over the six-year period. Not until the debut of the C5 platform Z06 would Chevrolet have another production Corvette capable of matching the ZR-1's performance.

Although the ZR-1 was extremely quick for its time (0-60 mph in 4.4 seconds, and onto 180+ mph), the huge performance of the LT5 engine was matched by its robustness. As evidence of this, a stock ZR-1 set seven international and world records at a test track in Fort Stockton, Texas on March 1, 1990, verified by the FIA (Fédération Internationale de l'Automobile) for the group II, class 11 category:[7] [8]

• 100 miles (160 km) at 175.600 mph (282.601 km/h)
    • 500 miles (800 km) at 175.503 mph (282.445 km/h)
    • 1,000 miles (1,600 km) at 174.428 mph (280.715 km/h)
    • 5,000 km (3,100 mi) at 175.710 mph (282.778 km/h) (World Record)
    • 5,000 miles (8,000 km) at 173.791 mph (279.690 km/h) (World Record)
    • 12 Hours Endurance at 175.523 mph (282.477 km/h)
    • 24 Hours Endurance at 175.885 mph (283.059 km/h) for 4,221.256 miles (6,793.453 km) (World Record)
    These records were later broken by the Volkswagen W12.

ZR-1 Active Suspension prototype (1990)
    It was based on the ZR-1, but it includes active hydraulic suspension found in GTP Corvette race car. It was developed as a prototype for a limited edition run in the 1990 model year.[9]

25 active suspension vehicles were built at the Bowling Green Plant.[10]

A prototype was sold in 2009 at the Barrett-Jackson Palm Beach auction for $60,000 (before buyer premium).[11][12]

• Winner Winner x 1
  12. Tripler

Well you can pay a lot of money to have one stored in a controlled environment all winter . This has been stored in a three car garage with a wood stove but the car was exposed to cold weather when the fire would burn out . There is some rust on the halfshaft knuckles not surprisingly as that type of moving metal is not painted . If we purchase this car it will never be in a heated garage again which believe it or not , is actually the way to go . Summer time will create a rusting situation more than winter because of the added humidity . The car has a special cover which pulls moisture from the vehicle during storage temp fluctuations . In Canada it is beyond stupidly irritating to get vintage car insurance . Silver Wheels is one of them . The restrictions placed on you pretty well have you driving in the Santa Clause parade and that's it . Well not that bad , but it may as well be . The car will have full insurance and believe this one if you will , a vintage car can be more expensive than a new vehicle to insure ... but it will give us the freedom of driving the car when we want and not when they want . This car will not be sitting in the garage or a show car . It will be driven .

;) ;) ;)

13. Tripler

• Like Like x 1
  14. Tripler

image.jpeg

• Winner Winner x 1
  15. Tripler

image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  16. Overmind One

YOU GOT IT! :joy::joy::joy:

Your vintage Vette will likely outlast the new computerized Crapvettes of 2004 forward! Vintage cars (pre-autobot computerized cars) are easier to fix, more reliable and better built than the newer cars. New cars use computers to correct flaws in handling, ignition, combustion, braking and steering, but if that computer fails the thing goes wonkers.

It's beautiful! Love that racing green color. :)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Tripler

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  18. Tripler

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. Tripler

Kinda crazy looking motor huh ! ! ! . 410 HP with 32 Valves all Aluminum Designed by Lotus and assembled by Mercruiser and installed into a special C4 body by General Motors . This car is the last year for this version of a ZR-1 C4 Corvette . 1996 was the last year for C4's . This build was # 193 of 448 built in 1995 . It also has the added 2 Dunn heads which were a much better head built for the ZR-1 as the porting is cleaner from the factory than the previous model head installed on earlier versions . . .
    I noticed it has a vacuum leak in the system so I will be doing a little bit of a tear down of the top end this summer as the leak can or usually is located under the plenum which is that aluminum piece with all the curved tubes . It is one solid piece of cast aluminum and it feeds the air mixture into the motor controlled by the throttle body at the front of the plenum in case you were wondering lol ...

PS ,,, it is also capable of going well over 200 mph and has done so when it did the 24 hr endurance in 1990 at 70% throttle ... No . I will never see how fast it goes lol ... It will be taken care of for as long as my friend and I own it ...
    Also the motor will not require any major servicing until the 300,000 mile mark . Now that's durability ...
    ;) ;) ;)

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Overmind One

That was what I was referring to earlier. I think that was one of it's most outstanding(and durable) features. It explains why there are so many more of them still running and being driven than other model years. :)