VIKINGS Season 4

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
This show is still going pretty good. They aren't shying away from doing a big production. It does get a bit hokey at times but for the most part they are doing a really good job.

*OMG, Ragnar's brother -- oy! And after Ragnar saved his life earlier!

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This show is still going pretty good. They aren't shying away from doing a big production. It does get a bit hokey at times but for the most part they are doing a really good job.

*OMG, Ragnar's brother -- oy! And after Ragnar saved his life earlier!

yeah-a bit of a stretch wit hsome stuff

could it have been possible for a Dane to own a "chinese" slave? sure--the silk road and all. was it probable? probably not

and ragnar's house of pets. don't see how it gets the big exotic snakes. again, was it possible for a dane to get a python (or whatever) from africa? sure, likelihood-that he could get one alive? very low

and if he did, that it is surviving in an un-insulated and poorly heated hut in denmark-in the winter no less--pretty near impossible

i am sure they are playing up to the Ragnar Lothbrok Saga and its telling of his death by King Aelle of Northumbria by being thrown into a pit of vipers

as for the saxons--Alfred was the youngest of Ecbert's grandson's, that they show accurately, though he being sired a bastard is probably not true. And his pilgrimage to Rome did take place but I believe it was at an older age

Rollo is one of the biggest historical issues for me

with him killing off his men, the TPTB's eliminate the whole Norman sub ethnic group!
and with the plot and the Emperor's reasons for wanting Rollo-what good is one man against an invasion?

in reality-Rollo (not known if he was any relation to the Lothbrok's) did stay after a raid on Paris as agreed to in treaty. He volunteered to go to Paris with an envoy and presented himself as leader of the group of Danes left behind. He was married to the Emp's daughter and was given land in what is now Normandy

but he did this along with his ppl who later brought in more Danes. these formed the basis of the Norman ppl and the Norman french dialect.

of course, later with William's invasion of England-this makes Rollo the great ancestor-with Alfred and Ecbert another branch-of all folloiwing english monarchs and of much of the monarchies of Europe as well through marriage

-----------------
other then that? still an entertaining show

with the death of H2 channel--giving way to VICELAND stupidity--there is nothing else on history to watch, i used to enjoy ancient aliens. not fort eh alien hokum but for the real archaeological and historical stuff they would first discuss before they laid in the 'alien card'

though apparently it seems we are getting a redux of Kunte Kinte soon...

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Yeah I wasn't a fan of all the alien stuff on H2 but VICELAND is a poor replacement. It's very, very boring. And a lot of the shows are just reruns of crap that has played on other networks. As for the show "Gaycation", it's fairly lame. The concept isn't bad -- exploring LGBT culture in other countries -- but the production and execution is bad. Ellen Page, while a cute actress, is not good as an interviewer or as an educational conduit to the folks at home watching this show. (And the guy that co-hosts with her is weak and attenuated and just plain useless.)

So basically with VICELAND offering up stuff like this I'm not really that interested in tuning-in.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yeah I wasn't a fan of all the alien stuff on H2 but VICELAND is a poor replacement. It's very, very boring. And a lot of the shows are just reruns of crap that has played on other networks. As for the show "Gaycation", it's fairly lame. The concept isn't bad -- exploring LGBT culture in other countries -- but the production and execution is bad. Ellen Page, while a cute actress, is not good as an interviewer or as an educational conduit to the folks at home watching this show. (And the guy that co-hosts with her is weak and attenuated and just plain useless.)

So basically with VICELAND offering up stuff like this I'm not really that interested in tuning-in.

yeah-hard to believe that the same ppl that bring us the great docu's of VICE on HBO and YT bring us this schlock.

some of the shows are beyond stupid; they even put in blocks of time where they have their office staff sit in a room and listen to voicemails-broadcasted on TV

They have also had their show titles censored by directv. one show-F*CK THATS DELICIOUS (a foodie show) was changed on DTV guide to "THATS DELICIOUS". Another "BALLS DEEP" was changed to something like IN DEPTH WITH VICE

as i said, i would much rather be watching aliens and 'lost gold of the flying dutchman' type shows then viceland

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
speaking of "vikings" (said this before, another unfortunate blunder of our education system and pop culture. "viking" is a verb, not a noun. "to go viking" is what it was; it is believed to have started with landless danes.norse and svear who had nothing better to do but come together and try to raise fortune by raiding. later, many ethnicities were welcomed by the danes and norse as 'vikings' in their crews; saxons, frisians, "germans" and slavs. when we say "viking" today it is really quite asinine)

seems sats have found another norse site in north america, hundreds of miles of previously established finds

any wonder what our continent actually holds in the way of just who else was here before Columbus? we spend so much time looking at everyone else's property, we hardly look at our own

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-may-spotted-viking-space-145600689.html

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
yeah-a bit of a stretch wit hsome stuff

could it have been possible for a Dane to own a "chinese" slave? sure--the silk road and all. was it probable? probably not

and ragnar's house of pets. don't see how it gets the big exotic snakes. again, was it possible for a dane to get a python (or whatever) from africa? sure, likelihood-that he could get one alive? very low

and if he did, that it is surviving in an un-insulated and poorly heated hut in denmark-in the winter no less--pretty near impossible

i am sure they are playing up to the Ragnar Lothbrok Saga and its telling of his death by King Aelle of Northumbria by being thrown into a pit of vipers

as for the saxons--Alfred was the youngest of Ecbert's grandson's, that they show accurately, though he being sired a bastard is probably not true. And his pilgrimage to Rome did take place but I believe it was at an older age

Rollo is one of the biggest historical issues for me

with him killing off his men, the TPTB's eliminate the whole Norman sub ethnic group!
and with the plot and the Emperor's reasons for wanting Rollo-what good is one man against an invasion?

in reality-Rollo (not known if he was any relation to the Lothbrok's) did stay after a raid on Paris as agreed to in treaty. He volunteered to go to Paris with an envoy and presented himself as leader of the group of Danes left behind. He was married to the Emp's daughter and was given land in what is now Normandy

but he did this along with his ppl who later brought in more Danes. these formed the basis of the Norman ppl and the Norman french dialect.

of course, later with William's invasion of England-this makes Rollo the great ancestor-with Alfred and Ecbert another branch-of all folloiwing english monarchs and of much of the monarchies of Europe as well through marriage

-----------------
other then that? still an entertaining show

with the death of H2 channel--giving way to VICELAND stupidity--there is nothing else on history to watch, i used to enjoy ancient aliens. not fort eh alien hokum but for the real archaeological and historical stuff they would first discuss before they laid in the 'alien card'

though apparently it seems we are getting a redux of Kunte Kinte soon...

We'll see; if they go historical they have to have the Vikings get beat by Alfred.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
We'll see; if they go historical they have to have the Vikings get beat by Alfred.

if the show goes that far without getting axed

i know tptb's have it planned to go at least to that point if they are able

but timeline-wise, that doesn't happen until after all of Alfred's older brother's rule as king of wessex, and Ragnar's youngest sons (Ubbe,Ivar) are old enough to have fighting age sons themselves

it would be nice if they had Bjorn go south raiding into the Med along Moorish Spain and N Africa, south of france and into Italy (that's where legend/history has that "i am a christian, i'm dead and i want to be buried in the church" trick was done by Bjorn and his buddy Haesten--they thought they were attacking Rome but were at some other city instead

they may do this since we see Bjorn so infatuated with the Frankish map he took from Paris

------------------
Can't really see them doing much more with Ragnar; they have composited him with other Danes and their deeds quite a bit already--example-Ragnar would be like 80 now in show time if he had been on the first Lindisfarne raid as they had in S1 (though they didn't say it was the first raid and there were several). But then again, their Ragnar character is quite the attraction and I am sure quite favored by fans-so who knows what they may have him doing? settling Greenland? winning at Hastings? now those would be very big stretches :)

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I slid this post here from JOE and my response since it is about current eps:

The mystical stuff is kind of hokey and distracting from the story I think. Like when Floki had the sex vision about Ragnar's wife. I found that stupid.
it was a poorly conceived visual, but i think they are setting him up as the new Seer

last ep-or the one before-had the current Seer licking Floki's hands, suggesting that Floki was to be his replacment

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Also, the Kevin Durand "Harbard" character (in myth the earthly incarnation of Odin(?) is it?) is back (good to see Kevin has a gig when the STRAIN is in off time :) )

had me wondering

there must have been a whole sub culture of these men who may have lived in caves or cabins overlooking villages and towns

just waiting for the fighting/raiding men to go on a conquest or a viking

then stroll into town, take a "whiff" of all the wanting ladies, tell some tall tales (like "i am odin") and then get down to horizontal boogey time :hump:
or take advantage of the women and old in other ways as well

a clever ploy

granted, they did show Harbard as having some kind of 'magic' before, but all of that can be explained as reality if TPTB wanted to

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
speaking of "vikings" (said this before, another unfortunate blunder of our education system and pop culture. "viking" is a verb, not a noun. "to go viking" is what it was; it is believed to have started with landless danes.norse and svear who had nothing better to do but come together and try to raise fortune by raiding. later, many ethnicities were welcomed by the danes and norse as 'vikings' in their crews; saxons, frisians, "germans" and slavs. when we say "viking" today it is really quite asinine)

seems sats have found another norse site in north america, hundreds of miles of previously established finds

any wonder what our continent actually holds in the way of just who else was here before Columbus? we spend so much time looking at everyone else's property, we hardly look at our own

https://www.yahoo.com/news/scientists-may-spotted-viking-space-145600689.html

Just here to throw in some added sites for a different selection of video. By looking at the map this second site, if it is not an April Fool's joke appears to be about 250 miles from the original site.

The St Lawrence Seaway is a hop-skip-and-jump away. I can smell those tall trees over the horizon, and the Florida sun is calling out to me as a Norseman.

I understand that there will be a Season 5 of "Viking" with an expanded shooting schedule of more shows.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Oh Ragnar! :icon_e_surprised:

roflbot (4).jpg

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At a certain level I'd almost rather watch "The Thirteenth Warrior".

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
At a certain level I'd almost rather watch "The Thirteenth Warrior".

I'm not freak about the writing when it comes to Vikings, but the production values are really quite good. It's clear they put a lot of effort (and money) into filming it. (At least it seems like they put a lot of money into it.)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
wish they would stay a bit closer to s1; in it we saw a lot of dane culture--the Thing, the religious practices and other social stuff

hopefully they do not stray to far

and they are making Ecbert just as big a composite character as Ragnar. no west saxon ruled mercia until his great grand daughter, Aethelflaed, was elected to take control after her husband died

so maybe with all of this compositing and time jumping, the TPTB's are not confident they will get all the seasons they hoped for?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's why at a certain level I would rather see "The 13th Warrior" (vastly underrated film IMO). Yes it is highly fictionalized (it is a riff on Beowulf) but it does show elements of Norse culture, the characters come to life and it is a rousing actioner.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That's why at a certain level I would rather see "The 13th Warrior" (vastly underrated film IMO). Yes it is highly fictionalized (it is a riff on Beowulf) but it does show elements of Norse culture, the characters come to life and it is a rousing actioner.

i always liked it-even though it has Banderas in it : )

Always forget to get the book (EATERS OF THE DEAD) from amazon;would like to read the details that every book has over the film and find out just who Crichton was writing into the role of those "bear ppl"

Even though it had a kind of hokey "beowulf" alien tie in, the rest of the film was pretty good in showing some norse culture, as well- OUTLANDER (2008)
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0462465/

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG, these guys don't mess around. :icon_e_surprised:

tumblr_nrly2i2Fwz1ur81opo1_r1_500.png

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay yong, what do you think of the mid-season finale?