Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets official trailer 1

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so, they didn't get the high scores on THE LAST STARFIGHTER game, is what you are saying? :)

They never tell you! But they sure have a lot of very pretty CGI scenes rushing to get nowhere. :) There is a scene, also in the trailer, where one of them is literally running batting away colorful blobs of light in his path. Dumb. But I bet it would be great high on LSD or ecstasy!

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Shocking that this confusing, unintelligible visual shit fest comes from the French, isn't it? :rolleye0014:

I think that if this were some sort of music video or a film format concert like Pink Floyd's The Wall, these visuals are exceptionally pretty. Like Avatar's visuals. But in Avatar, you at least had a story to follow. This thing is just a wisp of a story and even that is unclear. You get a lot of movement, but you don't get the sense that the story is progressing.

BTW:

This movie bombed worldwide too. The production may have lost more than 100 million.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Avatar = FernGully but with an offensive portrayal of the military. At least FernGully was entertaining...

Avatar served as a litmus test for the stupidity level of our society. And it turns out we're pretty damn stupid. "Unobtainium"? From the moment I heard that word I realized the only thing being "unobtained" was my interest in this shitty cartoon. I kept expecting Rainbow Brite to show up. Talk about bad, ugh! And what's worse is they're making a sequel. That's just what we need again, James Cameron wiping his ass all over a digital screen. :rolleye0014:

RainbowBright.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Avatar served as a litmus test for the stupidity level of our society. And it turns out we're pretty damn stupid. "Unobtainium"? From the moment I heard that word I realized the only thing being "unobtained" was my interest in this shitty cartoon. I kept expecting Rainbow Brite to show up. Talk about bad, ugh! And what's worse is they're making a sequel. That's just what we need again, James Cameron wiping his ass all over a digital screen. :rolleye0014:

RainbowBright.jpg

We already know that the next one is going to be another formulaic repeat of the first one, only different in small ways. We will still have our preistess and her hero who is now chief of her people :rolleye0014:, and if I predict this right, they will be expecting a child or already have one. Instead of "unobtainium", we might get "shittium". This is on a moon of Pandora so there might not be a Tree of Life or even a population of wondrous creatures like we saw on Pandora. It might be a darker movie. I mean, how would the Navi on Pandora end up on their moon unless they use the tech left behind?

I hated the story of the first movie, and I really am not excited about seeing it's sequel.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so this came up on amz pr

thought i watch since it was no extra $

it took me 5 attempts to finish..i just could not sit through it.

i appreciate the effort made to make some sci fi with a big budget, this thing made JUPITER ASCENDING seem like a masterpiece :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
so this came up on amz pr

thought i watch since it was no extra $

it took me 5 attempts to finish..i just could not sit through it.

i appreciate the effort made to make some sci fi with a big budget, this thing made JUPITER ASCENDING seem like a masterpiece :(

I know, right? It was exceptionally vague and empty. It was like an amusement ride, where you just jump on and watch the stuff going on around you while on the ride, then its over and you get off. But there is no rhyme or reason to the thing except that you chose to watch it. That was how I felt about it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I know, right? It was exceptionally vague and empty. It was like an amusement ride, where you just jump on and watch the stuff going on around you while on the ride, then its over and you get off. But there is no rhyme or reason to the thing except that you chose to watch it. That was how I felt about it.

a lot like someone had a lot of sfx/costume ideas and needed a vehicle to put them in =Valerian

funny note= Valerian is a flower/herb that is used to make one sleepy--aptly titled film!!!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
a lot like someone had a lot of sfx/costume ideas and needed a vehicle to put them in =Valerian

funny note= Valerian is a flower/herb that is used to make one sleepy--aptly titled film!!!
I tried to watch this while stoned. Nope. Still boring!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it was pretty to watch though..

if only they could just find a way to over dub a whole different (good) story onto the visuals
The visuals were easily on par with Avatar. But there was even less of a story than the paper thin savior plot of Avatar.