Um...yeah...we're humans, not hamsters

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
http://news.yahoo.com/zorb-ride-russian-mountains-proves-deadly-102056296.html

MOSCOW (AP) — It was supposed to be a thrilling ride down a ski slope inside a giant inflatable ball that is to be one of the symbols of next year's Winter Olympics; it ended in tragedy for the two Russian men inside.
The transparent plastic ball — known as a zorb — veered off course and sailed over a rock ledge in the rugged Caucasus Mountains of southern Russia. The ball picked up speed as it flew down the steep slope, rolling and bouncing. One man was killed and the other badly injured.

04e9688019341e01260f6a706700b4e1.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Ya know, I just cant feel sorrow for people who do this sort of thing. It is just a head shaking internal thought of "what did they expect?". The wild animal guy who was speared through the heart by a stingray he was messing with, Evel Knievel, countless big wave surfers and other assorted daredevils are INVITING death and many (most) of them meet death whilst doing these utterly stupid stunts. Rock climbers, cave spelunkers, people who porposely attract sharks so they can swim with them. What is wrong with them? I want to say "this is sad" regarding this accident, but instead I am thinking "that was stupid". Cold, but honest.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
"Just because you can, doesn't mean you should." ~~ Every mother since the beginning of time

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Going over the falls in a barrel is so 1901...planking on a hamster ball going over the falls... 2013 :triumphant:

So very true! I wonder if anyone has tried to hang glide from Everest, or ride a sperm whale? How about being dropped from a plane in that ball into the ocean? Why not...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ya know, I just cant feel sorrow for people who do this sort of thing. It is just a head shaking internal thought of "what did they expect?". The wild animal guy who was speared through the heart by a stingray he was messing with, Evel Knievel, countless big wave surfers and other assorted daredevils are INVITING death and many (most) of them meet death whilst doing these utterly stupid stunts. Rock climbers, cave spelunkers, people who porposely attract sharks so they can swim with them. What is wrong with them? I want to say "this is sad" regarding this accident, but instead I am thinking "that was stupid". Cold, but honest.

Dude, he was not "messing with the stingray" at all. What happened to him was a very, very unlikely accident. All he was doing was snorkelling near it, he got too close and it stung him. Stingray poison is extremely rarely fatal, unless you get hit in a major organ. You're more likely to get killed by driving a car than death by Stingray, so I'd hardly count that in with these kinds of Darwin award winning stunts :(

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Dude, he was not "messing with the stingray" at all. What happened to him was a very, very unlikely accident. All he was doing was snorkelling near it, he got too close and it stung him. Stingray poison is extremely rarely fatal, unless you get hit in a major organ. You're more likely to get killed by driving a car than death by Stingray, so I'd hardly count that in with these kinds of Darwin award winning stunts :(

He was snorkling above it much closer than he should've been. Steve Irwin was known for pushing the boundaries with wild life. Seriously, the guy wrestled crocks. Anyway, Irwin removed the stingray's barb from his own heart, which caused him to bleed to death. Had he not done so, he may still be around.

Another stingray incident happened here in Florida some years ago. A man and his granddaughters were out on a boat when a stingray jumped into the boat. As the guy was tossing the stingray overboard, it stung him in the heart but he didn't remove the barb. They managed to get him into the hospital and he survived.
--- merged: Jan 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM ---
Ok, I found the Florida story.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2006/10/061019-stingray.html

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Whatever, cause I had seen him messing with lots of dangerous animals on that show he had, including snakes and alligators and such. His daredevil adventures still killed him, however unlikely the accident.
--- merged: Jan 9, 2013 at 5:43 PM ---
The Russians like to run the rapids in an inflatable barrel with the man (or woman) inside the barrel.

One time, the Russians had a race down a whitewater river with inflatable sex dolls.

I will look for links.

https://secure.i-toolkit.com/www_theforcegazette_com/itoolkit.asp?pg=Live_From_the_River

http://missoulian.com/lifestyles/re...cle_d4315009-a967-5a6c-a01e-bd1b6174ff1d.html

:icon_rotflmao::shep_lol::smiley-laughing024::laughing::happy0007:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Don't encourage them. It never ends well.

"Hold my beer and watch this!" :anim_59:
--- merged: Jan 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM ---

The truly sad part about Irwin's premature death was that he was quickly replaced by this creature:

bindi_irwin12.jpg

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
"Hold my beer and watch this!" :anim_59:
--- merged: Jan 9, 2013 at 8:00 PM ---

The truly sad part about Irwin's premature death was that he was quickly replaced by this creature:

bindi_irwin12.jpg
I can't hold anything against his daughter. She has become the face of their family, and will never have a normal life. I feel terrible that she has to go through this.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I can't hold anything against his daughter. She has become the face of their family, and will never have a normal life. I feel terrible that she has to go through this.

My issue is with the way she was shoved into the spotlight while her dad's body was still warm. She was instantly paraded around on every single TV outlet and milked for maudlin reasons, then quickly positioned to be his replacement of sorts. It wasn't long before she was doing her own cutesy cutesy music videos, etc. It all was just so crass and distasteful because it smacked of desperation to not let the spotlight disappear. Obviously they grieved in their own way but they sure seemed to get over Irwin's death very quickly. After all, it's not like the family was going to starve to death if they didn't get in front of a camera so why the rush to keep the spotlight there if not for cynical reasons?

Plus the kid was annoying, seriously, she should have been on a Ritalin IV drip. :drunk:

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
My issue is with the way she was shoved into the spotlight while her dad's body was still warm. She was instantly paraded around on every single TV outlet and milked for maudlin reasons, then quickly positioned to be his replacement of sorts. It wasn't long before she was doing her own cutesy cutesy music videos, etc. It all was just so crass and distasteful because it smacked of desperation to not let the spotlight disappear. Obviously they grieved in their own way but they sure seemed to get over Irwin's death very quickly. After all, it's not like the family was going to starve to death if they didn't get in front of a camera so why the rush to keep the spotlight there if not for cynical reasons?

Plus the kid was annoying, seriously, she should have been on a Ritalin IV drip. :drunk:
I suspect she's been pushed into it, and if she's not an adult, she really doesn't have much of an option to say no. Parents are great at guilt that way, as you may recall.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I suspect she's been pushed into it, and if she's not an adult, she really doesn't have much of an option to say no. Parents are great at guilt that way, as you may recall.

Yup, I'd blame Terri Irwin, the mother. She often accompanied Bindy on these shows but Bindy was always the main focus -- always. Maybe it's just me but that's just not something I could do to one of my kids. Even if the kid expressed a desire to get into the spotlight at that moment it's not their decision to make. A good parent knows this. By not only allowing her kid to call the shots but to also encourage this attention whore mindset seems ghoulish to me.

_42108858_family_ap.jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan

When he died he was filming for her own show Ape, which existed before his death. While I don't discount the rather cynical nature of her being shoved everywhere, common consensus, at least out here is that it was her mother who pushed for all that crap.
--- merged: Jan 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM ---
Yup, I'd blame Terri Irwin, the mother. She often accompanied Bindy on these shows but Bindy was always the main focus -- always. Maybe it's just me but that's just not something I could do to one of my kids. Even if the kid expressed a desire to get into the spotlight at that moment it's not their decision to make. A good parent knows this. By not only allowing her kid to call the shots but to also encourage this attention whore mindset seems ghoulish to me.

She attained a measure of status by her connection to Steve, and then Being Bindi's mother, besides that, Joe Public Aus couldn't give to left shits about her. Perhaps it had something to do with her own upbringing?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
When he died he was filming for her own show Ape, which existed before his death. While I don't discount the rather cynical nature of her being shoved everywhere, common consensus, at least out here is that it was her mother who pushed for all that crap.
--- merged: Jan 9, 2013 at 9:02 PM ---

She attained a measure of status by her connection to Steve, and then Being Bindi's mother, besides that, Joe Public Aus couldn't give to left shits about her. Perhaps it had something to do with her own upbringing?

From what I understand Terri Irwin is American. I only know this because my ex would always mention it when I would go off on a rant when cute lil' Bindy would pop up on TV to opine on the wonders of the animal kingdom. Now I don't know if Terri became a money grubbing ghoul due to being raised in America or from baking her brains out in the 160 F heat of the hellish Australian outback and/or streets of Sydney. Or maybe she just snapped and went batshit crazy over the humiliating, cartoon-like death of her husband. Truth be told we will probably never know the conditions that lead to her pimping out her daughter (to cutely opine on animal phyla) while her husband had yet to reach room temperature (which in Australia is something like 130 F, right?).

BTW, one of the reasons my ex is my ex is because of his annoying habit of blathering trivia like the Terri Irwin tidbit. He always managed to poke his head into the living room from the kitchen while I was watching TV and would distractedly opine on nonsensical stuff when he should have been concentrating on making me a sandwich. So it was that annoying trait of his that helped crash the relationship, that and the fact that I often had to tell him to get me a beer when God knows any fool could see that the one in my hand was nearly empty. :disturbed:

B

Backstep

From what I understand Terri Irwin is American. I only know this because my ex would always mention it when I would go off on a rant when cute lil' Bindy would pop up on TV to opine on the wonders of the animal kingdom. Now I don't know if Terri became a money grubbing ghoul due to being raised in America or from baking her brains out in the 160 F heat of the hellish Australian outback and/or streets of Sydney. Or maybe she just snapped and went batshit crazy over the humiliating, cartoon-like death of her husband. Truth be told we will probably never know the conditions that lead to her pimping out her daughter (to cutely opine on animal phyla) while her husband had yet to reach room temperature (which in Australia is something like 130 F, right?).

BTW, one of the reasons my ex is my ex is because of his annoying habit of blathering trivia like the Terri Irwin tidbit. He always managed to poke his head into the living room from the kitchen while I was watching TV and would distractedly opine on nonsensical stuff when he should have been concentrating on making me a sandwich. So it was that annoying trait of his that helped crash the relationship, that and the fact that I often had to tell him to get me a beer when God knows any fool could see that the one in my hand was nearly empty. :disturbed:

Hope you didn't go through the time and expense of fitting him with the shotgun chin and pistol grip ears :whip: