Uber SmartCar crash

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Yeah I heard. Uber settled with the family. Did you see the video?

Tesla just recalled 123000 model S cars out of precaution.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This has been all over the news lately, but it is NOT the first fatality... that was in California - a self driving Tesla- in 2016.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

Discuss......

Well, from the very beginning of this whole driverless cars thing, I was shaking my head. Who the hell wants these things on the road other than Uber and Google (and Apple somewhat)? Why are these companies even developing this technology? I just DO NOT WANT a driverless vehicle taking me anywhere for any reason, unless it is on a track or a rail. These drone cars are not people and they are literally brainless. They are going to continue hitting people, animals in the road, and eventually a child who runs out into the street after a ball.

Why are they even doing it? Who benefits from these driverless vehicles except Uber? I get it, its because with these vehicles, you eliminate the driver and the cost of Uber taxis drops by more than half along with a ginormous profit increase. They should be banned, and ALL vehicles with a steering wheel should be required to be manned by a person.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Theoretically self-driving cars could be much safer. How many people die each year because of retards behind the wheel? Also the self-driving cars are still supposed to have a driver.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Theoretically self-driving cars could be much safer. How many people die each year because of retards behind the wheel? Also the self-driving cars are still supposed to have a driver.

They will never be as safe as a car being driven by a human driver. Never.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Also not a fan of these self driving crap ... More and more humans seems to be going towards distracted everything from people just walking in front of cars expecting the car to see them everytime . For some strange reason reading a text is more important than just driving down the dam road or walking on the sidewalk paying attention . Self driving cars just add to this mayhem .
I never drive through a green light anymore unless I check the intersection before I go through it . I have to got to court in a few weeks were I was a witness as I watched a truck run a red light and clobber a car .

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I have no problem with the concept of self-driving cars. They will be safer than human drivers. But I think right now is too soon for them.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have no problem with the concept of self-driving cars. They will be safer than human drivers. But I think right now is too soon for them.

So, a driverless car is going to know what to do if it's pregnant female passenger goes into labor? How will it respond to a threat from the sidewalk like a robber? If a street is flooded by a recently busted fire hydrant or a broken underground water main, won't the driverless car just plow right into the water trying to keep it's route? If a tree branch is fallen across a road in a storm, can we count on the car's sensors to stop the car instead of crashing into the debris? There are thousands of scenarios. Cars were invented to be driven by humans. Trains run on rails. Make them driverless first. Make the subways driverless. Then, perhaps airport shuttles WITHIN the airport roads only. This should be gradual. Uber has unleashed these things on public roads!

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
It's clear that there is work to be done, but those problems can be solved. In any case a driver can still take charge.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It's clear that there is work to be done, but those problems can be solved. In any case a driver can still take charge.

What is the point of having a "driverless" car if a driver is required by law? It's pointless. Uber wants the cars to be literally driverless, like without a steering wheel or human controls. Elon Musk appears to concur with this which to me is not a good thing. I really am not excited about a world where robots do all my chores and my work.