TRAVELERS a NETFLIX sci fi original

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Created by Brad Wright and obviously made in Seattle area--with many of the same Seattle area actors-to include some STARGATE alums.

Pretty good show so far. About half way through in a 12 eps S1

About 'travelers' from the future whose "conscious" travel back in time at the moment of death of a person today.

they form teams and carry out assignments meant to prevent future catastrophes that have poisoned the time they live in

I know it sounds old and used up, but it is done in a different manner-makes it pretty interesting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5651844/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Created by Brad Wright and obviously made in Seattle area--with many of the same Seattle area actors-to include some STARGATE alums.

Pretty good show so far. About half way through in a 12 eps S1

About 'travelers' from the future whose "conscious" travel back in time at the moment of death of a person today.

they form teams and carry out assignments meant to prevent future catastrophes that have poisoned the time they live in

I know it sounds old and used up, but it is done in a different manner-makes it pretty interesting.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5651844/

That premise....um, not so sure if I am interested in that. :shame: Sounds like a communications stone crossed with a time machine only worse.

Let us know if you watch a few episodes.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Sounds like a communications stone crossed

the commo stones thing was one of my first recollections as well....

it does have a fairly good story though

seems the "mission" of all the traveling teams (there are thousands) is to take all steps necessary to--manufacture the machinery needed in the 21st century based on plans from their time; acquire a matter/anti matter reaction power source to power a future designed 'xray laser'; ensure that the 'deep work' of starting up the companies that make these component (without the companies ever really knowing the real reasons) in the past; rigging elections and influencing society to create conditions favorable to ppl allowing potentially dangerous research facilities (ex: the matter/anti matter research facility),,,

and other small and large details--all leading up to one singular event that will hopefully deflect a asteroid which-in their past-hit earth and initiated a series of natural and man made events that led to the near destruction of the planet

it is a pretty well thought out plot in this area-that is where the story is,so far

either way--something to watch and as I say, I'll never complain about ppl still making sci fi keeping the genre alive and attn paid to it which will hopefully get it back to a point of popularity prev enjoyed :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
All I can say to start is that those of you who (justifiably!) have a score to settle with Brad Wright due to his destruction of the STARGATE franchise, are missing out on a very good show

i have watched all 3 seasons and each season has gotten better. other TPTB's, like Amanda Tapping seem to have used their experience and 'tempered' Wright's issues(??)

or maybe, Wright has finally found a show he is good at?

I know some of you have criticized the consciousness transfer. It is DEFINITELY NOT THE "STONES" of SG.

it has been explained more through the last 2 seasons. It is a 'packaging' of the future traveler's consciousness-that machine that is our brain-- into a computer program which in turn, the tech of the future allows for its transfer back in time to an exact point known in time and position. this is known from the historical record of the time and places of death for the host bodies. these are ppl who would be dying anyway

how is it done exactly? well that is the sci fi, right?

look at how far tech has advanced in the last 100yrs. can anyone say that these advances will slow down? that in the next 400yrs-especially with the creative motivation of saving the last bits of humanity by altering the past-- something like this would never be possible?

hell, who am I to say?! but it seems this is just as likely-or more then- stargate travel :)

but i do know it would be highly presumptive to just declare "this premise could never be possible" based only on the status of current tech research

-------------
specifically to the quality of the show? well, i am not going to waste my time and unpack it for everyone. yes, s1 is a bit disjointed and stumbling, many new shows are.

seasons 2 and 3 are well more developed and organized to a main theme and far more watchable with some excellent acting and basically no reliance on 'wow wee' SFX

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
oh yeah i know.. but hey, thanks so f'ing much for participating in the convo before it was cancelled!

you all have a serious case of brad wright derangement syndrome :)

what do you want the guy to do? public self flagellation?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sounds more like Trancers than the Sexstones.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
oh yeah i know.. but hey, thanks so f'ing much for participating in the convo before it was cancelled!

you all have a serious case of brad wright derangement syndrome :)

what do you want the guy to do? public self flagellation?

:) What would I have to say? I think I did comment on the first episode! I don't understand how it ran as long as it did.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
:) What would I have to say? I think I did comment on the first episode! I don't understand how it ran as long as it did.
Good riddance to old Trash.

do i hate st:d? yup

did i think sgu had a LOT to be desired (actually, imo it had only one good bit-Nicholas Rush)? Yup

wasn't a fan of Killjoys (is it still on?) or DEFIANCE

but

as sci fans who want to see the genre survive, i think we need to want to have every show find an audience and have some success even if we personally dislike the show

why? keep the genre alive. i know the purists here would rather just see it totally disappear though if they cant get their way

well, do you really think the money ppl will continue to put up funding for new sci fi if they see so much stuff getting cancelled?

yea, this concept sucks I agree, but i'd rather the airwaves and internet be awash in all types of sci fi-good, great and sucky- for the sole purpose of keeping the genre alive and growing /being made better by bad examples

the lack of this is why we get dumb "sci fi" that is so infused with SJW messages and shipping because the money ppl know that a film or series with these elements will get viewers = make money. good sci fi is rejected over stuff that has sex and 'flash' and demographic (millennial) appeal.

they are turning away from strict sci fi (the EXPANSE is kind of an exception but it still has its own share of drama and shipping as well) and putting their money behind the nonsense stuff that we hate

get a show like TRAVELERS -which yes, it had a slow start as many shows do- that makes you ask questions like "well just how are they transferring consciousness through time?" and then get some feedback from the TPTB's when they did slowly reveal more and more of the 'science" behind the process (though they did fall short on the time travel thing)

instead we get fluff that makes ppl say "do you really think the female lead really slept with the male lead before the alien attack/ asteroid hit/ dimensional shift,etc, etc" -- these are abstracts but i am referring to stuff like PASSENGERS and other things that were merely love stories with a sci fi setting

i say flood the market with everything minus the love story and social messaging crap; its what is being done with the marvel and dc stuff now. the good stuff rises to the top and benefits from the attention that even the bad stuff draws

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
do i hate st:d? yup

did i think sgu had a LOT to be desired (actually, imo it had only one good bit-Nicholas Rush)? Yup

wasn't a fan of Killjoys (is it still on?) or DEFIANCE

but

as sci fans who want to see the genre survive, i think we need to want to have every show find an audience and have some success even if we personally dislike the show

why? keep the genre alive. i know the purists here would rather just see it totally disappear though if they cant get their way

well, do you really think the money ppl will continue to put up funding for new sci fi if they see so much stuff getting cancelled?

yea, this concept sucks I agree, but i'd rather the airwaves and internet be awash in all types of sci fi-good, great and sucky- for the sole purpose of keeping the genre alive and growing /being made better by bad examples

the lack of this is why we get dumb "sci fi" that is so infused with SJW messages and shipping because the money ppl know that a film or series with these elements will get viewers = make money. good sci fi is rejected over stuff that has sex and 'flash' and demographic (millennial) appeal.

they are turning away from strict sci fi (the EXPANSE is kind of an exception but it still has its own share of drama and shipping as well) and putting their money behind the nonsense stuff that we hate

get a show like TRAVELERS -which yes, it had a slow start as many shows do- that makes you ask questions like "well just how are they transferring consciousness through time?" and then get some feedback from the TPTB's when they did slowly reveal more and more of the 'science" behind the process (though they did fall short on the time travel thing)

instead we get fluff that makes ppl say "do you really think the female lead really slept with the male lead before the alien attack/ asteroid hit/ dimensional shift,etc, etc" -- these are abstracts but i am referring to stuff like PASSENGERS and other things that were merely love stories with a sci fi setting

i say flood the market with everything minus the love story and social messaging crap; its what is being done with the marvel and dc stuff now. the good stuff rises to the top and benefits from the attention that even the bad stuff draws

Time traveling by sending somebody's consciousness back through time to inhabit a new body = Communications stones idea. Because of that, it isn't science fiction, and being created by Brad Wright was the other nail in the coffin for me.