Tomorrowland - Um, no.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just TRIED to watch Tomorrowland. :facepalm:

I was not able to watch more than a total of 20 minutes of this movie. I watched the first 10 minutes continuously, then the second 10 minutes was fast forwarding the movie. It may not be fair to review the movie based upon those 20 minutes, but I doubt I am much off the mark.

The premise is unclear, and the movie starts out ANNOYING. Not slow, just very annoying dialogue and George Clooney's face. His presence in this was completely wasted. The only cool thing about this movie is the special effects and CGI environment. It feels like a giant ad for Disneyland and Disney Resorts, and prominently features rides from Disney attractions as well as Space Mountain. Much of the CGI Tomorrowland is filmed at Disney World and Disneyland and it makes things seem like a giant promo for them. Instead of seeing "cool building", you see "Oh, that is Space Mountain!". Just like they planned it. It felt hokey.

I cannot say much for the story because the dialogue seemed like it was lifted from Chitty Chitty Bang Bang or Alice in Wonderland. Too flowery and unrealistic. And don't get me started on the preachy preachy Global Scamming Warming message throughout. There is liberal (and very obvious) tokenism in this movie. It is as though somebody hired a bunch of geezers from 1950 to write the dialogue for actors who are Millenials.

If you can make it through this movie, please review it. I was unsuccessful!

Last edited:

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Eh, I thought it was ok.
(mind you, me saying it is "ok" is a pretty bad rap, I watched it, I tolerated it, and had no feeling about it afterwards)
I would not watch it again.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
We are not the target audience OM1. It's targeted towards a much, much younger demographic. Infact, this is targeted towards kids not grown adults.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We are not the target audience OM1. It's targeted towards a much, much younger demographic. Infact, this is targeted towards kids not grown adults.

Wow...that's just scary. :moody: It sure looked pretty. :) But because of the blatant Disney-fication of the movie, and product placement including riding on Disney rides and putting Space Mountain prominently within the CGI Tomorrowland, it was like a big advertisement. The dialogue was definitely pre-teen. That made the presence of George Clooney even more senseless. I suppose when Im bored or cleaning the house, I might run it during the daytime. Definitely not a movie night choice. :anim_53:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Wow...that's just scary. :moody: It sure looked pretty. :) But because of the blatant Disney-fication of the movie, and product placement including riding on Disney rides and putting Space Mountain prominently within the CGI Tomorrowland, it was like a big advertisement. The dialogue was definitely pre-teen. That made the presence of George Clooney even more senseless. I suppose when Im bored or cleaning the house, I might run it during the daytime. Definitely not a movie night choice. :anim_53:
If you watched stuff from the 90s, like Pinky and the Brain, MIB, you'll find that although those were targeted towards kids, the style of writing was very mature.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Star Wars OT was aimed at kids too. The adults becoming fans was a bonus that Lucas did not plan for. Even My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic which is made for LITTLE kids has a rabid adult MALE following. What I do not get is the presence of George Clooney in the film. He is a star that only adults should really be familiar with. His is the first face you see in this film, and they showed him as a scruffy gray haired man with little makeup. The CGI of Tomorrowland was incredible, but the dialogue of the characters and even the extras was unforgivably horrid. I cringe at thinking about what that beautiful CGI must have cost Disney. :moody:

Officially, this film bombed at the box office. It lost more than $120 MILLION.

Somehow, I am not surprised at all because it's Disney. They do not do "modern" well, and they are completely clueless about "future". The Disney vision is much like 1950 saw the future. Not very diverse, shiny and without flaws or profanity, and most definitely without obligations. I would never take a child to see this dreck.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
If you watched stuff from the 90s, like Pinky and the Brain, MIB, you'll find that although those were targeted towards kids, the style of writing was very mature.

Most definitely! Long before that, we had the Flintstones and the Jetsons which were cartoons written for the whole family, and definitely had adult story threads in them. How did this thing manage to come off so dumb?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Ironically while Star Wars was kind of "kid"-ish but had adult elements, The Empire Strikes Back went much less kid and was in fact fairly dark. And Return of the Jedi sort of had a foot in both camps (Ewoks.....Blech!).