Time to Disconnect

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
just use the net for a purpose--i think totally cutting yourself off would just be as silly as those who use it too much

like ppl who shun atm's because they want to prove a point and 'try to save a job". same with those who won't use self checkouts at stores-though i admit, those things do need some improvements

over use of the net is a little like when tv came out or the telephone

some ppl just used the phone to make random calls and connect with as many ppl as possible due to the novelty and newness of it

tv--randomly changing channels--probably more accurate to say tv, but after more channels and the first remotes!- just because you could. browsing with no purpose

other then the sites i use for bills or access to other accts, info, weather, news, gatefans and the occasional FB use (i have some old friends who ONLY seem to communicate with FB--errr!) and one or two other sites like YT and of course all the diff streamers count although they come through my ROKU, I really have no use for randomly cruising the net.

i dont get how some ppl can sit for hours just clicking through one site after other

i don't "get" twitter. seems like a fast lane to the further bastardization of the english-or any other- language. dumbed down thought to fit a certain amount of space

and those ppl who are so hooked into the net; they tend to crumble when they lose power or just the connection to their ISP!

they seem lost without it--that is way too much net time there

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Twitter is not for conversations. 140 characters is generally sufficient to write a short sentence and embed some content such as a link to an article, images, or a video or something like that. You're probably thinking of it as some blah blah mumbo jumbo (and it can be), but it can also be a great source of information, interesting facts and news. It all depends on the accounts you follow. It can be tricky to find accounts you like, but if you find them it's nice.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Twitter is not for conversations. 140 characters is generally sufficient to write a short sentence and embed some content such as a link to an article, images, or a video or something like that. You're probably thinking of it as some blah blah mumbo jumbo (and it can be), but it can also be a great source of information, interesting facts and news. It all depends on the accounts you follow. It can be tricky to find accounts you like, but if you find them it's nice.

i get the intent, just seems tha it is being used for conversation by too many people

NOT GETTING POLITICAL, jst an example of how it can be misused--our President

his tweets and the way the media treats them as 'official' replacements for actual written or spoken Official statements

or ppl making a fuss over some half baked potentially mis interpreted tweet by some 'celebrity'

thats the stuff that idk twitter inventor intended

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i get the intent, just seems tha it is being used for conversation by too many people

NOT GETTING POLITICAL, jst an example of how it can be misused--our President

his tweets and the way the media treats them as 'official' replacements for actual written or spoken Official statements

or ppl making a fuss over some half baked potentially mis interpreted tweet by some 'celebrity'

thats the stuff that idk twitter inventor intended

Yep, but we are talking NORMAL people here, not Trump.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I always pictured Ba'al having more grandiose plans what with being a G'oauld and all.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Given past history, do we REALLY want to get political on here?

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I always pictured Ba'al having more grandiose plans what with being a G'oauld and all.

I work in the shadows. Rest assured, when it comes time to bow down, you will know.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Yep, but we are talking NORMAL people here, not Trump.

that is just an example in extreme

look how ppl go ga-ga over silly crap "celebrities" tweet--ridiculous

and a lot oft hose tweets are probably being done by the PR and and handlers, not by the "celeb" themselves

to re-iterate, i get the intent of the creator, but like so many other things gone "over-uber" in classic american style, twitter is likewise "misused"

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Twitter is what people make of it. But it's also what you make of it yourself. You don't want to be bothered by the type of tweets you are referring to then simply don't read them. Instead, follow people who do have things to offer that you're interested in. You get sick of someone, you unfollow.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Given past history, do we REALLY want to get political on here?

We're not! I think that in the context of stating the uselessness of Twitter's more rabid users, mentioning it's highest profile Twitterbird was appropriate, and we are already past it.

I see the value of Snapchat, even though I am not a user. I would compare Twitter, Facebook and Pinterist akin to carving your soul into rock, to exist forever online. Snapchat, for the most part, is designed to burn bright then fade away into the dark (sorta like our own brains process the days and years of experiences we all have).

I guess I'm something of an "outlier" in that I just don't like to waste time staring at my phone just to surf various websites like Fakebook or Twitter. I'll use my phone to look up map directions or text pics and stuff to friends, but other than that I just have no interest in using it for social media. A big part of me misses my old "dumb" phone that only made calls and texts. I honestly have no need to be "connected" to the larger world 24/7. In fact, just the idea of that makes me shudder.

I mention this because, like I said, I'm an anomaly. I could disconnect from the Internet and "smart" devices and I would be just fine. But I think a lot of people, especially young people, couldn't do that without suffering a lot of mental anguish. People have become addicted to their devices and the dopamine hits that they give them. This is why people neurotically check their Fakebook pages every few minutes. If they get likes and/or any sort of attention on their page (or if they interact on other pages and get attention that way) there is a corresponding dopamine spike in their brains. It's like taking a hit of coke, only not as intense, but nonetheless addictive. It's the same with Twitter.

And don't even get me started about people surfing their smart phones while driving their cars, oy! :rolleye0014: I see this shit every single day, even on the freeway. It's insane. People actually allow their self-imposed, narcissistic addiction to overrule the logic centers of their brains. It's a fact of reality that there is absolutely no tweet more important than the fact that you're piloting a 4000Lb death machine so put down your damn phone and put your eyes back on the road!

Last edited:

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I don't use it on my phone. Only on my laptop when I'm home.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I rarely surf from my phone. I do access YouTube and pop a headphone in my ear, and sometime Hulu or Amazon (at work). And I just listen while I work, sometimes glancing over. Other than that, I use it to play music through my car stereo (and make calls that way too). I will sometimes play a slot machine game if waiting for food or getting a car wash.

My phone is my banker, my camera, my store discount card, my Daybook, mail and navigation device.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And girlfriend? :daniel_new004:
Whole other thread. :) Right now, I don't have a girlfriend. I am living an almost celibate 2017. I can't explain it other than I wanted to live a stress free year, and within the year I have made lots of major adjustments and they all feel like projects. A full-time girlfriend would have made completing them impossible.