Thoughts on BICENTENNIAL MAN?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
BICENTENNIAL MAN, the poorly received 1999 movie based on a work by Asimov

story about the household robot who over time receives upgrades and with the protection of his owner and his heirs, keeps the robot from being scrapped or replaced

of course he eventually is given freedom and sets on a course of becoming human

this review makes some interesting points, and pros and cons of the film

what are your thoughts? do you consider this film sci fi or fantasy?

https://www.pluggedin.com/movie-reviews/bicentennialman/

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I think I've actually never seen the movie.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I think I've actually never seen the movie.

WWWHHHHAAAATTTTT?!?!?!?!?!?

i didn't know there were rocks that big in the Netherlands..or Ireland :)

upload_2019-8-16_2-11-36.jpeg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WWWHHHHAAAATTTTT?!?!?!?!?!?

i didn't know there were rocks that big in the Netherlands..or Ireland :)

View attachment 35294

I found a big rock in California too. I have never seen it either. :redface: I can see right now why I would not have watched it, but I probably based it on the appearance of the robot wich looks like a character from a children's show to me. :). Based on the trailer, I might give it a go just because I am unfamiliar with it. Here is the trailer they released for it in 1999:

I am actually very interested in seeing this! How did I miss it?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I can see right now why I would not have watched it

i'd have thought all the big rocks in cali had tumbled into the sea or got lost in a mudslide by now. but no, you DID FIND ONE :)

i think that the appearance of the robot was,maybe, a contractual thing with Robin Williams? this is nothing but a huge guess though. perhaps to get him to do the part one of the stipulations were that the robot had to look like him? IDK really

as for Williams, this is not a comedy film. there is some of course, but this is one of those films he was in where we can see his abilities to be a 'straight' actor and I think he did a very good job of it.

and, the movie was very low budget as for the special effects. it has some, especially as time goes by in the film. but the movie is focused on the rights' of a AI, much like the Doctor's 'struggle' to be an individual in control of his destiny in VOYAGER. so SFX really was not that important.

as time goes by though, the appearance of the robot changes drastically

this and more are the reason why i ask if ppl think this is sci fi or fantasy or maybe just a drama with a sci fi appearance?

the story was written by Asimov so its roots do have a strong sci fi base

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
It was....okay.

Much as it tries to be science fiction it feels a bit more like a romcom with a robot.