Those sci fi books that have never been 'turned' to movies/tv

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
There are probably hundreds of books, all with great reviews and well received by readers, that have never been considered (that we know of) for movie or TV production

Which one's come to your mind?
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One I frequently think of is Poul Anderson's BOAT OF A MILLION YEARS

https://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/boat-of-a-million-years-poul-anderson/1102042193

I think it could be made into a well done series on, say, AMAZON. Especially given Bezos' penchant for space based sci fi and his now known hands on approach to shows/ideas he really loves (THE EXPANSE)

There would not be an especially large amount of sfx involved-certainly no more then the current schlock of stuff that has been produced.

Oh yeah! It also has a great story-the most important aspect.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Also Anderson's Orion Shall Rise. And CJ Cherryh's Downbelow Station.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
*whispers* Asimov's Foundation Series. Considering the horror they made of I, Robot, I beg Hollywood to forget about Asimov.

Although Lucas ripped most of Star Wars off Asimov's various books. :P

*whispers* Asimov's Foundation Series. Considering the horror they made of I, Robot, I beg Hollywood to forget about Asimov.

Although Lucas ripped most of Star Wars off Asimov's various books. :P

Yeah I think they would botch the Foundation series greatly. Plus a lot of stupid people who don't read books would claim they were ripping off Star Wars. The only way I see it working is if they get the show runners from The Expanse because they seem to understand how to stay true to the source material.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
The Expanse benefits from the showrunners also being the authors of the source material.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Expanse benefits from the showrunners also being the authors of the source material.

Yes, and we have not really seen that since Star Trek TNG. Battlestar Galactica (the new one) was set up like that at first too, IIRC. Joss Whedon had lots in input on Firefly. But this show The Expans is based in actual novels and for the writers of the novels themselves to be showrunners for the show is AWESOME. This show is the only REAL scifi on the air right now. Best scifi show ever created IMO. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This is one where they REALLY need to respect the source material properly as there are plot elements that are going to be difficult to depict properly (such as Teela Brown). And if it is successful they need to have the next production be the book Protector because otherwise the big reveal in The Ringworld Engineers won’t make sense.