Things that change when you stop eating junk food...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I was under the impression that the best steaks are in Argentina.

Dude, the quality of meat in Panama was unbelievable, which is all Argentinian. I had not had meat that good in ages.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Why? What harm to they do?

Hormones I don't know enough about to comment on but there seems to be a growing consensus that adding antibiotics to agricultural feed and water can lead (and is leading) to antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. This is very bad. Just watch this Frontline episode to see what I mean.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Hormones I don't know enough about to comment on but there seems to be a growing consensus that adding antibiotics to agricultural feed and water can lead (and is leading) to antibiotic resistant strains of bacteria. This is very bad. Just watch this Frontline episode to see what I mean.

I will watch the video later (55 minutes long). However, different antibiotics are used in animal feed than are used to treat human diseases.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I will watch the video later (55 minutes long). However, different antibiotics are used in animal feed than are used to treat human diseases.

That's explained in the video. Bacteria can jump from animals to humans. Also, when chickens or pigs for example are fed antibiotics on a regular basis they can have bacteria in their guts mutate then when they crap them out they are aerosolized and we breathe them in and/or ingest them if that crap is used as fertilizer. And that doesn't even touch on the antibiotics that may remain in the meat itself.

The bottom line is that the shared bacteria between fauna and humans can, and is, becoming resistant to antibiotics more and more.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
We all like to blame food for our problems, but I think obesity can't be blamed on one thing. I think it's a series of problems and often the most overlooked aspects. We often get accused off being very inactive but I don't think we are. I see a lot of fat people who come to the gym, but they don't lose weight. I think it's stress and lack of sleep which are a bigger factor but also sugar/junk food that accelerates or causes fat to accumulate. Fat is stored because it was needed in times of famine/survival.

Back in the day we were probably hunted down by large predators and food was scarce which made fat accumulation as a necessary survival tool. We have no need for fat accumulation today, but it hasn't really changed our biology or metabolism. When we fear for our lives, suffer from sleep apnea, are sleep deprived, we release stress hormones, but our brain doesn't know the difference b/w stress or whether we are being hunted down. I know many people think that getting 6 hours is enough, but I think we need way more than that. Quality of sleep is just as important and I think sleep deprivation maybe the cause of mental illness in most people such as psychosis/depression.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
and kids being obese is also stress. It has nothing to do with activity. Some bodies manage stress better than others. Homework is lame. Homework just piles on the already stressful life of being a kid. You spend 7 hours in school everyday - as if isn't torture enough and are forced to wear stupid uniforms in 40C+ weather.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We all like to blame food for our problems, but I think obesity can't be blamed on one thing. I think it's a series of problems and often the most overlooked aspects. We often get accused off being very inactive but I don't think we are. I see a lot of fat people who come to the gym, but they don't lose weight. I think it's stress and lack of sleep which are a bigger factor but also sugar/junk food that accelerates or causes fat to accumulate. Fat is stored because it was needed in times of famine/survival.

I agree, but without eating the wrong foods (empty carbohydrates that the body gets in excess), becoming obese is not possible. Food and obesity cannot be divorced. If you eat only meat and drink only water, you cannot become obese. Add a smattering of fruit or green leaves and you have the diet of lions and most large predators. Obesity is just about unknown in the wild.

Back in the day we were probably hunted down by large predators and food was scarce which made fat accumulation as a necessary survival tool. We have no need for fat accumulation today, but it hasn't really changed our biology or metabolism. When we fear for our lives, suffer from sleep apnea, are sleep deprived, we release stress hormones, but our brain doesn't know the difference b/w stress or whether we are being hunted down. I know many people think that getting 6 hours is enough, but I think we need way more than that. Quality of sleep is just as important and I think sleep deprivation maybe the cause of mental illness in most people such as psychosis/depression.

I agree with this. And not only the amount of sleep but the quality of sleep.