Things that change when you stop eating junk food...

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Dude, Sauternes taste like shit IMHO, but one thing people forget is that it is like any other sweet, fortified beverage, it is not meant to be drunk even by the glassful, but like good port through a port pipe, and NEVER in a vacuum.
Call me a alcohol snob, but there are reasons why certain types of alcohol are paired with generally opposite flavours in food. Port is sweet, you have cheese or smoked oysters (savory) flavours to complement them so you can discern the difference.
Sauternes should be had after another savory meal, not with more sweet crap.

As for feeling guilty, well, they had no clue how to serve it, so to me they may have mixed coke with 30 YO single malt, all the money, but no taste.
You did the wine a favour

:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Dude, Sauternes taste like shit IMHO, but one thing people forget is that it is like any other sweet, fortified beverage, it is not meant to be drunk even by the glassful, but like good port through a port pipe, and NEVER in a vacuum.
Call me a alcohol snob, but there are reasons why certain types of alcohol are paired with generally opposite flavours in food. Port is sweet, you have cheese or smoked oysters (savory) flavours to complement them so you can discern the difference.
Sauternes should be had after another savory meal, not with more sweet crap.

As for feeling guilty, well, they had no clue how to serve it, so to me they may have mixed coke with 30 YO single malt, all the money, but no taste.
You did the wine a favour

:)

"You did the wine a favor". :icon_rotflmao: I should say that the next time they serve it, and do it right in front of them! :anim_59: You are right. Nouveau riche couple recently into money from an inheritance. It was part of the reason they had this brunch get-together, to show off their new patio deck. :rolleye0014: They would most definitely not know the finer points of culinary etiquette! At least they did not sweeten the entire pot of coffee, but they served my cup already with cream and sugar when I did not ask for it that way.

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
OMG, sweet wines are GROSS now!!!! I just had breakfast with some friends, and they served a white wine that was sweet. HATED IT! I dont know what kind of wine it was, but it bordered on syrupy sweet and I could not get past more than one sip. YUCK! So, how to play it off without insulting my host? Dont laugh...I "accidentally" spilled the glass. :). When my host offered to refill the glass I asked for coffee instead, saying that I had "probably had enough". I dont have any alcohol most of the time, so this was an exception I am sorry I made. Also, what is the deal with people who want everything they eat to be sweet? Sweet coffee, with sweetened banana pancakes and full sugar maple syrup with sweet butter and whipped cream? YUCKERS! Top it with that awful sweet wine and honey cured bacon and it was a terrible brunch to me. I should mention that both the husband and wife are significantly overweight.

Why so hard to dump sugar for some people?

Sounds like certain members of my family. The coffee should have been regular coffee so as to provide a contrast to the sweet food.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sounds like certain members of my family. The coffee should have been regular coffee so as to provide a contrast to the sweet food.

I should mention (in all fairness) that the eggs were not sweetened. :) But they did have capers chopped in it. :facepalm: These are the only people I know who actually EAT fruitcake...like the brick you get of it at Christmas. I always thought fruitcakes were just that "gift" that you re-wrapped and gave the following year to another unsuspecting recipient. :anim_59:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
OMG, sweet wines are GROSS now!!!! I just had breakfast with some friends, and they served a white wine that was sweet. HATED IT! I dont know what kind of wine it was, but it bordered on syrupy sweet and I could not get past more than one sip. YUCK! So, how to play it off without insulting my host? Dont laugh...I "accidentally" spilled the glass. :). When my host offered to refill the glass I asked for coffee instead, saying that I had "probably had enough". I dont have any alcohol most of the time, so this was an exception I am sorry I made. Also, what is the deal with people who want everything they eat to be sweet? Sweet coffee, with sweetened banana pancakes and full sugar maple syrup with sweet butter and whipped cream? YUCKERS! Top it with that awful sweet wine and honey cured bacon and it was a terrible brunch to me. I should mention that both the husband and wife are significantly overweight.

Why so hard to dump sugar for some people?
I think you are probably right. :( This couple is very into the high end stuff. They were raving about how the bacon was aged with honey and cured in special chambers and such. I had to put my eyeroll lock on full to stay polite. :) And those pancakes...they were loaded with sugar and tasted like banana cake. They were served with whipped cream and maple syrup drizzled on top. It was so sickeningly sweet I could hardly eat them. They put sugar and cream in my coffee which I do not prefer. And the other couple there was all "Mmmmmm this is delicious!" whilst I was trying to keep from spewing on my plate. But that wine....it put me over the top.

BTW, this was a patio breakfast, so the spilt wine was harmlessly spilled on the brick. :) The wine glass survived too. This same couple has jars of various candies dispersed throughout the house, even in the bathroom. :facepalm:. Im not talking mints, Im talking mini Snickers and Hersheys and Mounds and little rolls of Smarties and stuff. Like you would buy for Halloween. It seems weird to see a 12-pack of Diet Coke in the fridge next to the jumbo bag of assorted chocolate mini candy bars. :icon_e_surprised:

I've known people like this and it's quite sad really. The parents of a guy I dated were both diabetics but they kept their house stocked with candy. Seriously, bags of candy would fall out whenever you opened a cabinet; almost any cabinet. They had it everywhere -- in the house, by the TV, on the back porch, in their cars, in the northwoods cabin (which is located in a vacation spot filled with touristy fudge and candy places). His mom even has a thing for sugary, syrupy drinks. She loves Godiva chocolate martinis. She also has to have dessert every time she eats. And when they eat out, either separate or together, they always order those giant pieces of cake that come with ice cream.

:smiley-015:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
You mean I can't go to the local junkyard for dinner anymore???

Man, I'm gonna miss those broken light bulbs, rusty springs and especially the bags and bags of crushed old beer cans.....

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've known people like this and it's quite sad really. The parents of a guy I dated were both diabetics but they kept their house stocked with candy. Seriously, bags of candy would fall out whenever you opened a cabinet; almost any cabinet. They had it everywhere -- in the house, by the TV, on the back porch, in their cars, in the northwoods cabin (which is located in a vacation spot filled with touristy fudge and candy places). His mom even has a thing for sugary, syrupy drinks. She loves Godiva chocolate martinis. She also has to have dessert every time she eats. And when they eat out, either separate or together, they always order those giant pieces of cake that come with ice cream.

:smiley-015:

Thing is, the guy (husband) in this marriage is a sweetheart of a guy. Generous, hard working, good sense of humor, and he USED TO live an active lifestyle. But this this "heaux' comes along with her fake boobs and we lost him. This happened after he inherited about 2 million dollars from his mother and the house they now live in. The heaux has remodeled it head to toe, they have added a deck in the front AND the back, a pool and jacuzzi. Nothing wrong with that, but the reason is because of HER, not the money. I know this guy. I know his core. She has him eating junk and a bunch of sweet baked goods she makes. And she adds sugar to everything. OMG, she reminds me of a much younger Paula Deen, with accent and everything. I dont care for her, and she might just know that. :) So fake. And that candy thing....NO WAY did he start that.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Thing is, the guy (husband) in this marriage is a sweetheart of a guy. Generous, hard working, good sense of humor, and he USED TO live an active lifestyle. But this this "heaux' comes along with her fake boobs and we lost him. This happened after he inherited about 2 million dollars from his mother and the house they now live in. The heaux has remodeled it head to toe, they have added a deck in the front AND the back, a pool and jacuzzi. Nothing wrong with that, but the reason is because of HER, not the money. I know this guy. I know his core. She has him eating junk and a bunch of sweet baked goods she makes. And she adds sugar to everything. OMG, she reminds me of a much younger Paula Deen, with accent and everything. I dont care for her, and she might just know that. :) So fake. And that candy thing....NO WAY did he start that.

roflbot.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Starbucks blended or flavored coffee....YUCK!

Did I just throw away a Tall Carmel Macchiato given to me by a co-worker from Starbucks (minus one sip)? Yes, I sure the hell did. :smiley-015:

Was it always that sweet? I never ordered them even before low carbing, but is there anything sweeter at Starbucks? My co-worker is a sweetheart for thinking of giving me something while she was out at Starbucks, and she surprised me with it. I smiled and gushed my thank you's, and then took a single sip from the straw. That was 30 minutes ago and I can still taste it (and smell it coming from the trash can under my desk).

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
Starbucks blended or flavored coffee....YUCK!

Did I just throw away a Tall Carmel Macchiato given to me by a co-worker from Starbucks (minus one sip)? Yes, I sure the hell did. :smiley-015:

Was it always that sweet? I never ordered them even before low carbing, but is there anything sweeter at Starbucks? My co-worker is a sweetheart for thinking of giving me something while she was out at Starbucks, and she surprised me with it. I smiled and gushed my thank you's, and then took a single sip from the straw. That was 30 minutes ago and I can still taste it (and smell it coming from the trash can under my desk).

Starbucks sometimes sells a sugar-free mocha that is pretty good. I used get one whenever I had a doctor appointment. Sometimes, I would get a regular coffee to mix with the sugar-free mocha so that it would not be too rich.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Starbucks sometimes sells a sugar-free mocha that is pretty good. I used get one whenever I had a doctor appointment. Sometimes, I would get a regular coffee to mix with the sugar-free mocha so that it would not be too rich.

I like the sugar free stuff they have like the Cafe Mocha and the ice blended coffee frappucino (sugar free), but the prices they charge for them make me take pause. It isnt worth more than three dollars. I like your adding coffee trick. :) There is Starbucks bought here every day by at least one or two people and they will pick up what others want. Im the only one in my department who actually prefers the office brewed coffee. They provide beans and a grinder! I dont understand why anyone would prefer Starbucks over fresh ground beans, but since you mentioned that Cafe Mocha I will let this co-worker know that if she decides to surprise me again, to make it a sugar free Cafe Mocha. :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Flavored coffee is an abomination. And sweetened flavored coffee is a capital offence! :daniel01:

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I like the sugar free stuff they have like the Cafe Mocha and the ice blended coffee frappucino (sugar free), but the prices they charge for them make me take pause. It isnt worth more than three dollars. I like your adding coffee trick. :) There is Starbucks bought here every day by at least one or two people and they will pick up what others want. Im the only one in my department who actually prefers the office brewed coffee. They provide beans and a grinder! I dont understand why anyone would prefer Starbucks over fresh ground beans, but since you mentioned that Cafe Mocha I will let this co-worker know that if she decides to surprise me again, to make it a sugar free Cafe Mocha. :)

A coffee snob blind tasted some fast food coffees one time and rated McDonalds over Starbucks. I prefer Starbucks coffee for that quiver-in-the-liver feeling that it gives me. It tells me that I am still alive.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A coffee snob blind tasted some fast food coffees one time and rated McDonalds over Starbucks. I prefer Starbucks coffee for that quiver-in-the-liver feeling that it gives me. It tells me that I am still alive.

Yeah, it does have that effect doesnt it? :) That first sip you can feel it radiate throughout your body and make your DNA dance the Dougie. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Coffee here in Canada from micky d's is the best I've tasted . Tim's has come out with a dark roast but i still prefer Micky D's . But more often I only have coffee at home which is a ground up can of Espresso . 10 tea spoons for 10 cups oh coffee . Now that has a real good morning eye opening bite .

:) :) :)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Coffee here in Canada from micky d's is the best I've tasted . Tim's has come out with a dark roast but i still prefer Micky D's . But more often I only have coffee at home which is a ground up can of Espresso . 10 tea spoons for 10 cups oh coffee . Now that has a real good morning eye opening bite .

:) :) :)

Agreed. Basic Mickey D's coffee is quite good. It's much better than higher priced stuff out there.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Agreed. Basic Mickey D's coffee is quite good. It's much better than higher priced stuff out there.

Its good for quick, prepared coffee. Better than Starbucks or Peets or Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf. Seems to me that those places are selling ambiance more than high quality coffee. :) But I really like to know exactly what beans are going in my coffee and where they are sourced from. Since the coffee maker at work is on the fritz right now, I actually take my brewed coffee to work in a travel mug now.

Why is every major company compromising on their products and quality and portions and ingredients to make more money instead of attract more customers? Coffee houses are not special (and thus not worth extra money). Coffee beans are.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Believe it or not but I was told by someone that the coffee MacDonald now uses was the original coffee that Tim Horton's started with .
Other than the service being impeccable I do my best to avoid Tim's . I heard an interview on CBC radio from one of the CEO's of Tim's and the guy was the most arrogant some bitch I ever heard . Just a greedy scum bag .
But the service and the food is spectacular . Coffee and a sandwich within 3 minutes !!! Way way faster than Micks.

On the point of food tasting different which is what I believe this post started out as , I find that If I eat sweets now , I feel so ill after . The chocolate or a candy just do not agree with my palate at all . I never did like cakes with the icing on them but then again , I never really eat cake accept for a taste for birthdays . It's all to sweet . I'm finding the 10% cream I put in my coffee to be a bit sweet also . Tim's put 18% cream in there coffee ,,,yuck ...