The Walking Dead spin-off takes place in L.A.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
https://tv.yahoo.com/news/walking-dead-spinoff-setting-revealed-154341594.html

TVLine has learned exclusively that the potential series (the pilot of which will be shot in early 2015) will be based in… Los Angeles.

The still-growing cast includes Cliff Curtis (Gang Related), Frank Dillane (Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince‘s Tom Riddle) and Aussie actress Alycia Debnam Carey (McLeod’s Daughters).

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Are we gonna see walking dead Bloods and Crips?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Are we gonna see walking dead Bloods and Crips?

We're gonna see lots of talking, that's what we're gonna see. And the fact that this will be something of a prequel to the zombie outbreak means much less zombies and much more people which naturally leads to much more talking. Enjoy! :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

"So having the show set in Los Angeles [and] at a completely different time as walkers are beginning to take over the world... The idea, much like our show, it's really about the relationships and about the families and how they handle it and deal with it, so it's fascinating."

They are actually proudly pushing the fact that they are writing a melodrama thinly veiled as a zombie show. :disturbed:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fear-walki...ll-not-be-carbon-copy-original-series-1494383

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

"So having the show set in Los Angeles [and] at a completely different time as walkers are beginning to take over the world... The idea, much like our show, it's really about the relationships and about the families and how they handle it and deal with it, so it's fascinating."

They are actually proudly pushing the fact that they are writing a melodrama thinly veiled as a zombie show. :disturbed:

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/fear-walki...ll-not-be-carbon-copy-original-series-1494383

SPIN OFF?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
We've known about this for some time, and the more we hear the worse it sounds.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
We've known about this for some time, and the more we hear the worse it sounds.

Well, I just got a spanking new SJ4000 action cam (like a GoPro Black). I may just see if I can find out where this thing is going to be shot, and start a new thread on it. Like Tripler has been doing with the Defiance recon. :) Also, I have even more connections in the Industry because of where I am working right now, so perhaps we can get some good dirt!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

OMG! :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Right now the only thing that this new show has going for it is the fact that Rick Grimes won't be in it. Other than that I don't see anything to get my hopes up about. Especially when they describe this obvious soap opera as "fascinating". :rolleye0014:

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Well, I just got a spanking new SJ4000 action cam (like a GoPro Black). I may just see if I can find out where this thing is going to be shot, and start a new thread on it. Like Tripler has been doing with the Defiance recon. :) Also, I have even more connections in the Industry because of where I am working right now, so perhaps we can get some good dirt!

Don't get upset, but if they don't get a tax credit grant they might be heading to Vancouver, which means you might have to buy an extra long lense for your shooting..

Now, how they are going to tranlate an extra dry city to another that gets their fair share of rain. That might be a puzzler unless most of the 'zombie' action takes place around northern California.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Don't get upset, but if they don't get a tax credit grant they might be heading to Vancouver, which means you might have to buy an extra long lense for your shooting..

Now, how they are going to tranlate an extra dry city to another that gets their fair share of rain. That might be a puzzler unless most of the 'zombie' action takes place around northern California.

They'll just film it on some back roads in Georgia and claim that it's California. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Just more dumb soapy melodrama.

In all honesty I prefer watching The Postman to this dreck.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I can't help but imagine all the ways that the writers are going to muck it up. There will be the talking, the endless talking about interpersonal issues. (Rest assured there will be at least one couple that is divorced and/or having bad relationship problems. And their interpersonal melodrama will also involve their children/teenagers.) Then there will be the tight shots of people talking because, God forbid, any money actually be spent on larger location shots. (This will include both interior and exterior scenes.) Sure we will get occasional hints of zombie related stuff, but that will mostly be as cliff hanger type of moments. All in all the first season will be horribly drawn out and won't give us the complete answers as to how the zombie apocalypse began.

If I'm wrong about this then that's great because it will mean that they actually will have given us an interesting, well written story. But we all know that's a long shot.

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan

As I have suspected for a month or so they do look like they will be shooting/ lensing parts of the 5 remaining "Cobolt"( aka: "Fear the Walking Dead" episodes up in the mountains or on a green screen at one of our studios.

According to Vancouver tradition if they film on public streets they are obliged to notify the public on which days they will be inconveniencing the passerbys. Maybe the same goes to LA, so when they return to film some of their street scenes anybody interested can drop by and get a few pics for posterity. There must be some sort of informal group who tweet away when this lensing occurrs.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This series Fear The Walking Dead will première on August 23, 2015. It gets a two season commitment out of the box.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I'm not too surprised it's getting a two-season commitment as the original show is wildly popular. People are guaranteed to watch this one no matter how bad it is out of the gate.

And from the plot/character descriptions that were listed I strongly suspect it will be bad. I'm talking original series bad. The whole thing looks like it will be rife with inter-personal melodrama. And the fact that they only filmed the pilot in Los Angeles (where it will be set) but then moved the production to Canada tells me that we are going to get a lot of interior/small set/close-up shots which translates into scenes that are nothing but talking talking talking.

On the up side we (hopefully) will get to see the origins of the story; how the virus emerged replete with the decline of civilization. I won't hold my breath that they get it right though.