The Walking Dead S6 thread

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
TWD_RCD.jpg

Let's use this as the general discussion thread for TWD Season 6.

Eugene as gate guard was pretty comical. He just lets complete strangers in. And man, this dialogue is stilted.

The pacing is still sluggish but not horribly slow. But the directorial style in this episode is baffling - it has stuff happening with no order or context so it feels like a montage of random scenes and not a story. I don't think this show is the proper place for Quentin Tarantino non-linear storytelling.

On the other hand, it does look like they actually are speaking to "where did all the people go" and we actually are seeing a somewhat intelligent approach to the superherd - use their attraction to sounds to draw them away from Alexandria.

In other events, Tara just appeared out of nowhere and also we got background on Morgan. And Rick put down an attempted coup with a ridiculous trope line "Do you know who you're dealing with?". Given the way Rick flips from weepy EMO to psycho to almost reasonable with no reason for it the coup leader probably DIDN'T know who he was dealing with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
This episode was probably one of the best I've seen to date since the end of season 1. I have a bad feeling this is just the opener bait, though.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I did think it was decent overall. They kept the EMO silliness to a minimum and the storyline did advance.

If they are tracking the comics, the Wolves are a substitute for the Scavengers who attack Alexandria and breach the walls letting the big herd into the town, where they kill a fair number of the people but ultimately Rick and gang together with the Alexandrians take them down and re-secure the town.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Let's use this as the general discussion thread for TWD Season 6.

Eugene as gate guard was pretty comical. He just lets complete strangers in. And man, this dialogue is stilted.

The pacing is still sluggish but not horribly slow. But the directorial style in this episode is baffling - it has stuff happening with no order or context so it feels like a montage of random scenes and not a story. I don't think this show is the proper place for Quentin Tarantino non-linear storytelling.

On the other hand, it does look like they actually are speaking to "where did all the people go" and we actually are seeing a somewhat intelligent approach to the superherd - use their attraction to sounds to draw them away from Alexandria.

In other events, Tara just appeared out of nowhere and also we got background on Morgan. And Rick put down an attempted coup with a ridiculous trope line "Do you know who you're dealing with?". Given the way Rick flips from weepy EMO to psycho to almost reasonable with no reason for it the coup leader probably DIDN'T know who he was dealing with.

The same Eugene who claimed to be a scientist?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. Mullet Man. He even discussed hairstyles with the people he let in.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep. Mullet Man. He even discussed hairstyles with the people he let in.

Wha?

seriously.gif

So, he has a character thread going in TWD? I am not sure I want to know how he went to a lying scientist to a security guard. They should have fed him to the zombies after what he pulled.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
That's okay. In the comics Eugene is still around and a key member of Rick's group.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
It was obvious from the very beginning of the episode that they were starting in the middle of the action and would have to go back and fill in the blanks for us. Sort of rolled my eyes a bit at that gimmick. Rolled my eyes some more when the flashback scenes were in grainy black and white (so that we would understand that they were flashback scenes cuz, ya know, we have to be led by the hand). It was kind of annoying but in the end the events of what happened between last seasons finale and this seasons premiere got fleshed out. Not horrible by any means, just a bit tedious is all.

Didn't see much of Coral or Carol for this one. Also not much Aaron. And Daryl didn't have too much going on other than to be Rick's conscience in one scene. No biggie though.

I do hope they keep the momentum going, at least for a few episodes. But as Bluce said there's a chance they will bog down in the usual naval gazing nonsense that other seasons have gotten lost in.

Oh yeah -- I almost had a brain hemorrhage when Rick was talking about the guy who was challenging him in the town. He said something to the effect that guys like him were too stupid to survive in that world (not his exact words). I couldn't help but wonder if he was looking into a mirror that was just out of view. :rolleye0014:

At any rate, Rick is still my least favorite character. Even when he's trying to do the right thing he comes off as an idiot. ("Hey kid, I just killed your dad but now I want to be your buddy and teach you things!" :rolleye0014::rolleye0014::rolleye0014:) I know that unless Andrew Lincoln requests to leave the show the writers will never kill Rick off, which really hamstrings the show in my opinion. It's sad because he's such a lame character and is wrong about 90% of the time. He's also a douche -- a big, giant douche. Why the others look to him for leadership makes no sense to me. He is not a good leader at all, that is painfully obvious. This makes him a wholly unbelievable character. Someone like him wouldn't survive that long into a zombie apocalypse. That's why his words were so funny as he had no idea he was describing himself.

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
This episode was probably one of the best I've seen to date since the end of season 1. I have a bad feeling this is just the opener bait, though.

Like last season's opener? With pro-sniper Carol blasting couplets on explosive tanks from 500 yrds? And then it went to crap..like that, is that what you mean? :icon_lol:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
At least last season when Carol went Rambo it made sense. She's been out there long enough and handling rifles that she's gotten good at it. And it was a better installment just because the pace was sped up a lot.

In the same vein, this opener moved at a faster albeit incoherent pace. And like Bluce said for all we know it will slow way down again soon, although next week seems similarly fast paced.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I thought I read Corral and not Carol ... When did he go postal I was thinking when he lives under the sea ... ?
;) ;) ;)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I thought I read Corral and not Carol ... When did he go postal I was thinking when he lives under the sea ... ?
;) ;) ;)

Coral...

walking-dead-season-4-finale-carl.jpg

You get Coral by saying Carl in a southern drawl. :) Hence, the Walking Dead meme...

coral_twd.gif

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Haha ... Yup ... Ah know lol ... Corral ... Man thats so friggin funny ... Funnier is that fact that rick is british ...
;) ;) ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Another faster paced episode with minimal EMO silliness tonight. And even better it had no Rick - the focal points were Carol and Morgan. The Wolves attacked and got into Alexandria while Rick and the gang were off luring the superherd away. Carol and Morgan led the battle inside the walls, where they killed most of the Wolves and beat off the attack albeit losing several townspeople in the process.

It's scary....two decent episodes in the row.

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I liked that they tried to fool us into thinking it would be yet another "talking" episode but then surprised us with the attack. That was good. In fact, I was thinking that finally this was an episode that I wouldn't be able to criticize. But then Morgan kept going on and on and on and on and on with his insane "peace + luv for everyone" pacifist philosophy while everyone was getting hacked to pieces around him that I couldn't believe it. Such bad, bad writing. And so unbelievable. He actually thinks lecturing a group of feral maniacs will stop them from being feral maniacs. :rolleye0014:

Carol of course brought it, going ninja and kicking ass. Morgan isn't even worthy of being contrasted to her, that's how good she is (and that's how lame he is). One thing I had a hard time believing (other than Morgan's pacifist insanity) was that the residents of Alexandria don't know how to fire guns. The fact that Carol had to stop what she was doing (kicking ass) to tell that one chick how to shoot a gun was kinda hard to swallow. They are three years into the Zed apoc and yet this gal has lead such an idyllic life that she hasn't had the necessity to learn how to shoot? Seriously?

And sniper boy's cowardice is equally hard to believe this far into the zombie game. Just doesn't make sense. But, I can over look that stuff I guess. Morgan's ridiculous approach to dealing with homicidal maniacs during a massacre is not something I can overlook though. He gets voted off the island. :beckett_new050:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I liked that they tried to fool us into thinking it would be yet another "talking" episode but then surprised us with the attack. That was good. In fact, I was thinking that finally this was an episode that I wouldn't be able to criticize. But then Morgan kept going on and on and on and on and on with his insane "peace + luv for everyone" pacifist philosophy while everyone was getting hacked to pieces around him that I couldn't believe it. Such bad, bad writing. And so unbelievable. He actually thinks lecturing a group of feral maniacs will stop them from being feral maniacs. :rolleye0014:

Carol of course brought it, going ninja and kicking ass. Morgan isn't even worthy of being contrasted to her, that's how good she is (and that's how lame he is). One thing I had a hard time believing (other than Morgan's pacifist insanity) was that the residents of Alexandria don't know how to fire guns. The fact that Carol had to stop what she was doing (kicking ass) to tell that one chick how to shoot a gun was kinda hard to swallow. They are three years into the Zed apoc and yet this gal has lead such an idyllic life that she hasn't had the necessity to learn how to shoot? Seriously?

And sniper boy's cowardice is equally hard to believe this far into the zombie game. Just doesn't make sense. But, I can over look that stuff I guess. Morgan's ridiculous approach to dealing with homicidal maniacs during a massacre is not something I can overlook though. He gets voted off the island. :beckett_new050:

Remember that except for their 'rangers', no one in the place had gone outside the walls. they had lived inside since before the epidemic took full effect.

Most don't know how to shoot as they had a full effect gun control policy before the "Grimes' Gang" rode into town.

Ditto to all shaved and joe said

and, I saw other things as well:

Enid is in all likelihood, a Wolf. We could hear the attackers calling for her. The 'prologue' sequence showed how she may have encountered the Wolves in her wanderings after her parents got eaten.

and last season we saw 'dead' walkers near to the community with the "w" on their foreheads--Enid freq goes over the wall on her own seeking walkers, perhaps she is the one who was doing this?

At best she was somehow coerced to go into the community,at worst she was a full fledged member-saved from the "w" branding because someone had a plan for her.

Why she didn't help when they attacked? Well she is a teen aged girl who saw in the community a means to be just a teenager again. And she has the attn of several teenaged boys as well.
--------
Morgan--even though I really like the actor-Lenny James, and his character thus far, his actions during the attack and the actions of the wolves when they saw him, leads me to believe he has some connection with them

Their words to him on two occasions tell us that they definitely know him, and since he has neither a brand and he is still alive, leads me to believe he is important to them.

He used to use guns, but then we see him only using a staff-a melee weapon just like the wolves use.

Why didn't he join in on the attack? Maybe he once had a plan to use the wolves to his advantage, but once he got into the community he may have chosen to write them off for another plan.

So I think we are going to see yet another "fooled ya'" good guy -one more capable then Rick, get killed by Rick. And this time I am guessing that it won't even be for any overt action by Morgan but a "just because you were thinking it" execution.

Then we will still be left with Rick the incapable, Rick the sometimes sociopath, Rick the sometimes violently paranoid and always prone to high anxiety and bad decision making "he is all we got" leader.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I haven't read the comic books but they seem to be setting Maggy up as the next leader of the group, which I think is where they go in the books also. It's probably not exactly the same story line, but it seems to be mimicking it sort of. (And if they try to stay parallel to the books that would mean that Glenn should be buying the farm sometime soon I would think.)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Maggie winds up leading another community in the area called The Hilltop. And yes if they are tracking the comics Glenn is killed this season or early next season.

However, they may not be tracking the comics that closely. There are already differences:

a) In the comics Andrea not only is alive but is Rick's wife

b) No Daryl in comics

c) Carol killed herself in the comics before they hit Alexandria

d) The whole Alexandria backstory is different in the comics (and the walls are not braced from the outside).

If things sort of track the comics they will discover that Alexandria is not the only fortified town in the area. There are at least two more.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
This story is starting to get silly again, in this case because they are just losing too many people to the walkers and it is feeling like it is for shock value. At the rate they are going they will run out of Alexandrians :)

Also, they may have made a show killing mistake here - killing Glenn. When you only have two characters on the show who are even a little likeable the last thing you do is kill them. I suspect that if it turns out he is really dead they will start to see viewership tailing off.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This story is starting to get silly again, in this case because they are just losing too many people to the walkers and it is feeling like it is for shock value. At the rate they are going they will run out of Alexandrians :)

Also, they may have made a show killing mistake here - killing Glenn. When you only have two characters on the show who are even a little likeable the last thing you do is kill them. I suspect that if it turns out he is really dead they will start to see viewership tailing off.

Something else happening is expiration of contracts and rising salaries of TWD veteran actors.