The Tiny Houses Thread - The future of single family homes

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Tiny houses. I love every one of them I have seen to date! They are usually stylish, modern, portable homes which differ from RVs in the sense that they are definitely houses and not vehicles (in application). They can comfortably house couples, singles, and sometimes small families. The problems with them seem to all be caused by the real estate segment, whose futures are threatened by these homes which they cannot get lots of fees they charge from. States cannot get property taxes from tiny home dwellers, and they also cannot count these homes as property assets, since they do not have foundations and if the homeowner decides they don't like the taxes, they can just move the whole home to a new location.

In any case, there are lots of awesome designs, and most all of them are unique these days. They can be built custom order, and of just about any size. Some are even made up of more than one movable platform which can be towed separately and assembled on a new lot. Here are some great ones. Add your own!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A more rustic tiny house...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A tiny house...BUS!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This one is awesome. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
A collection of really cool ones...

I've been seriously considering retiring to a small house when the time comes in the future. I would have to design and build it myself as I don't see anything like what I want that's out there currently, other than trailer homes.

Basically I'd like a two-bedroom, one-level, no attic no basement but probably an attached garage. The bedrooms would be on opposite sides of the house and both would have their own full bath. The extra bedroom would be for visiting family and friends, it would not be for any type of roommate. It would not be an extended stay option for anyone. I like my privacy and prefer to share it with a sig other, that's it.

(My family and friends are good in that none of them are deadbeats, they all have their own homes and don't need a place to live. And if they ever did need a place to stay, due to illness or whatever, they're not the type to wear out their welcome once they are back on their feet.)

At any rate, a smaller house is definitely the way I'm leaning now that I'm gravitating to a more minimalist lifestyle. I don't think I'd want a "tiny house" because they are a bit too cramped for my tastes. But at the same time I don't want a conventional size house, not even a Ranch style house. And having a house on wheels isn't really my thing. I'm sure in time more and more municipalities are going to find a way to tax "tiny houses" anyway so that's not really something I'm worried about avoiding. And as for renting an apartment or buying a condo I don't care for living in a multi-plex. I want my own land surrounding me and keeping neighbors at arms length.