The Shannara Chronicles Review

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Magic. Definitely magic. Terry Brooks actually gets into magic vs. technology in the Wishsong of Shannara. The point being that this world is ruled by magic and not tech.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
question about the Druids...

book wise, don't care if it applies to the show or not

the magic the druid(s) and Dagda Mor are using, is it magic or some type of tech?

The ONLY elves that use tech are Vulcans. :anim_59: :P

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Meh, tonight they had an episode that featured guns, specifically a revolver. They also had electric party lights, an old film projector that showed Star Trek (they thought Spock was an elf because of his ears) and a turn table that played dance records. -- Yes, they have totally gone off the rails in terms of staying faithful to the source material.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Magic. Definitely magic. Terry Brooks actually gets into magic vs. technology in the Wishsong of Shannara. The point being that this world is ruled by magic and not tech.

I'd be far more impressed--especially given that this is OUR speculative future--that it were tech and not "magic"

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Meh, tonight they had an episode that featured guns, specifically a revolver. They also had electric party lights, an old film projector that showed Star Trek (they thought Spock was an elf because of his ears) and a turn table that played dance records. -- Yes, they have totally gone off the rails in terms of staying faithful to the source material.

did this episode "happen" in the books? without the satellite dish cups or guns?
that is, did they encounter a community of human culture revivalists?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
did this episode "happen" in the books? without the satellite dish cups or guns?
that is, did they encounter a community of human culture revivalists?

No, this episode most definitely did not happen in the books. The writers have greatly changed the entire Shannara universe, and not for the better. I mean, they actually had an Amish/hipster/rave replete with thumping dance music from an electric sound system. How the author Terry Brooks gave his sanction to this crap is beyond me. I'm to the point where I'm actually hoping this turd of a show does not get renewed for a second season. That's how bad it is.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No, this episode most definitely did not happen in the books. The writers have greatly changed the entire Shannara universe, and not for the better. I mean, they actually had an Amish/hipster/rave replete with thumping dance music from an electric sound system. How the author Terry Brooks gave his sanction to this crap is beyond me. I'm to the point where I'm actually hoping this turd of a show does not get renewed for a second season. That's how bad it is.

youre-kidding.gif

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

I'm dead serious. In fact, I've discovered that there are similarities to how this show is playing out and how SGU played out with tons of negative fan reaction. The author, Terry Brooks, has a guy who scrubs all critical comments about the show from his website. Okay, fair enough, it's his website. But the little snarky toad who manages that site stupidly went onto Reddit and said shit to fans who were complaining there. It was totally unprofessional and arrogant and snotty and shitty and reminded me exactly of the crap we used to hear coming out of the SGU apologist camp.

It's truly sad that someone who created such cool books would not only be stupid enough to allow his work to be butchered but that he (and his little minions) turn bitchy towards the loyal fans who have a legitimate gripe to make about the show.

The show is bad. Really bad. This can't be denied. Yet Brooks (and his little butt monkeys) are telling us to not only eat the shit they have served up, but to do so with a smile. Yeah, no thanks.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
That Shawn Spearman sounds like a real twit! I wish we could get the sort of participation that those Reddit threads get. :(

Speakman is supposedly the moderator of Brook's website and/or some sort of cyber outlet, which I think was closed down due to all the negative feedback on the lousy TV show. A quick Google search reveals Speakman to be a "web master" and an "author" but his main occupation seems to be "Chief Brown-noser and Butt-wiper". His whole attitude just reeks of the pissy attitude we got from TPTB back in the SGU days. I just had to laugh when I saw this guy alienating loyal fans of the books by being a condescending, snotty, defensive bitch on the Reddit site. It's such a stupid, amateur mistake to make. And one that will remain long, long after The Shitnara Chronicles are cancelled.

Yeah, that's the kind of "web master" I want running things for me -- one who pisses off the people that have loyally supported me for decades. :rolleye0014: :icon_lol:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Speakman is supposedly the moderator of Brook's website and/or some sort of cyber outlet, which I think was closed down due to all the negative feedback on the lousy TV show. A quick Google search reveals Speakman to be a "web master" and an "author" but his main occupation seems to be "Chief Brown-noser and Butt-wiper". His whole attitude just reeks of the pissy attitude we got from TPTB back in the SGU days. I just had to laugh when I saw this guy alienating loyal fans of the books by being a condescending, snotty, defensive bitch on the Reddit site. It's such a stupid, amateur mistake to make. And one that will remain long, long after The Shitnara Chronicles are cancelled.

Yeah, that's the kind of "web master" I want running things for me -- one who pisses off the people that have loyally supported me for decades. :rolleye0014: :icon_lol:

Speakman, yes...I said Spearman. :) Reminds me of a certain Mod on the now defunct Syfy Forums. :biggrin:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Another uninspiring episode chock full of confused writing and bad acting. I can't imagine how this thing will get a second season. Granted, I don't know the ratings numbers for this pig but I do know that loyal fans of the books are not happy with it. And the writing is so bad that I can't imagine it's drawing in new viewers. But, as always, I could be wrong. Next week is the season finale I believe. Wonder how long before we get word on this turd's fate after that.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Okay, found the numbers for this show. It's pulling a season average of 0.89. I haven't compared it to other MTV live-action shows so I don't know how it compares to say Teen Wolf. At any rate, a cancellation is not guaranteed because there's no accounting for taste as we all know. Still, I have to wonder about the production budget verses what the ratings pull in. There's a large cast. They are doing location shooting. And there is some (questionable) CGI. So this all adds to the cost of production. Here's hoping that 0.89 isn't good enough to keep this turd afloat.

http://tvseriesfinale.com/tv-show/shannara-chronicles-season-one-ratings/

*Check out the comments section under the ratings chart. People either hate this show or really like it, and many of the ones who claim to really like it are obviously paid shills. The fake, glowing reviews are laughable, like this one. :icon_lol:

Totally addicted! I’ve been reading Terry Brooks books for over 20 years and this show is not disappointing me. My whole family watches it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
People either hate this show or really like it, and many of the ones who claim to really like it are obviously paid shills.

from what you have told me and what I have read about the books, I do not see how anyone who loved the books would even like the show..they seem to be two totally diff entities

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
from what you have told me and what I have read about the books, I do not see how anyone who loved the books would even like the show..they seem to be two totally diff entities

They are totally different and that's the problem. Terry Brooks is sanctioning the mutilation of his work while ignoring the outcry from all the loyal fans of the books who now feel betrayed and scammed. The show is crap and it's an insult to those of us who have read the books and loved them. It's also disheartening to know that people who haven't read the books but who have seen the TV show are being turned off in droves to the story now.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
They are totally different and that's the problem. Terry Brooks is sanctioning the mutilation of his work while ignoring the outcry from all the loyal fans of the books who now feel betrayed and scammed. The show is crap and it's an insult to those of us who have read the books and loved them. It's also disheartening to know that people who haven't read the books but who have seen the TV show are being turned off in droves to the story now.

i looked up the books to see how many, order of release vs order of reading,etc

seems there are newer books that are set before the time frame of the originals--"prequels" i guess.

is it correct that some of these are set in current time-our time-and build connections of a sort to the main story?

if i ever read these books, i would start with these new ones

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
i looked up the books to see how many, order of release vs order of reading,etc

seems there are newer books that are set before the time frame of the originals--"prequels" i guess.

is it correct that some of these are set in current time-our time-and build connections of a sort to the main story?

if i ever read these books, i would start with these new ones

Yeah, Armageddon's Children would be the earliest prequel I believe. Brooks seems to have done some retconning to add more of a modern twist to the story. I can't say what sequence is best to read it in as I started so long ago but if you like LOTR then starting with The Sword of Shannara is a good place to begin.

Also, don't confuse his "Landover" series with the Shannara series. They are different stories.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I think tonight is the season finale of The Shitnnara Chronicles. We can only hope it's a permanent finale for the show. I suspect they will leave it on a cliff-hanger though. The story of the Elfstones is definitely at an end but from what I recall Terry Brooks said they had enough material for two seasons, so there is a chance that if the show gets renewed (boo!) they will continue to stretch out the story and change it drastically with lots of stupid teen angst, etc.

Fingers crossed this show gets flushed for good down the cancellation pipe.