The Quitting Smoking Thread - Recovering and Recovered

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Overmind One, Mar 11, 2014.

1. Overmind One

Overmind One GateFans Gatemaster Staff Member

I admit it. I have a problem, and it is SMOKING. Im really not a heavy smoker, about 1/2 pack per day (10 cigarettes or less). I smoke American Spirit blue pack:

americanspirit.jpg

• I have been smoking since March 1980 when I joined the USMC. I was 20 years old.
    • I have been a smoker for 34 years, mostly hovering around 5-10 cigs a day.
    • I picked up the habit in the service because all of the coolest soldiers I admired who outranked me smoked.
    • The first time I met Leonard Nimoy at my first Trek event, he was smoking a cigarette.
    • The first time I met William Shatner, he was smoking a cigarette.
    • Both Nimoy and Shatner have quit and I still smoke.
    • One pack of American Spirit costs as much as two gallons of gas.
    I could go on and on about the reasons to quit, and I could whine about how I tried to quit using the patch (which I did) and Nicorette and even electronic cigarettes. These methods are insidious because they never allow your body to fall below the threshold where physical withdrawal kicks in. The only thing that seems to work with a high frequency is COLD TURKEY.

Why tonight?

Because I just smoked my last cigarette two hours ago and I want another one and it is 2:15 in the morning and Im not going anywhere. My ashtrays are empty, I have no "emergency cigarette" anywhere, and I cant find my electronic cigarette.

Grrrrr.

I did find the same things with regard to what to expect when quitting cold turkey:

http://whyquit.com/joel/Joel_03_02_cold_turkey.html

What is my prognosis? Pretty damned good, actually.
    • I have beat other addictions.
    • I have lots of patience with plants, pets, children, and problems. I can apply that patience here.
    • I actually WANT to quit.
    • I can still smoke MM without smoking tobacco. :)
    • Withdrawal will be completely gone in two weeks? I can do that.
    quit_smoking_no_sign_smoke_free.jpg

The purpose of this thread is to remind me that I am trying to become an ex smoker, and by telling others I want to become an ex smoker. Hopefully, others who might have quit cold turkey can help me, and relating my experience might help somebody else. :)

DAY ONE - MARCH 11, 2014

Last edited: Mar 11, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. heisenberg

heisenberg Earl Grey Staff Member

All the best!

• Like Like x 1
  3. Backstep

Backstep Guest

When you have the desire to quit, that's half the battle to kick the habit. If you're sitting anywhere on the fence on quitting, you will not.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Rac80

Rac80 The Belle of the Ball

you've beat other addictions? sounds like an addictive personality there. Good luck with it. I agree it should be easier to quit cold turkey - that worked for my parents (mom quit when cigarette ash fell into my diaper when she was changing me- I wasn't burned but it scared her she said) and both sisters. yes I was the only non-smoker in the family. :P

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bluce Ree

Bluce Ree Tech Admin / Council Member

I will never understand what people find so appealing about cigarettes. Kissing a woman who smokes is like licking a wet ashtray and smokers smell like ashtrays in general. It is rare that a smoker can effectively camouflage their vice. Even then, get close enough and you can still smell it in their hair.

I smoke the occasional cigar, usually following a milestone in my life. When I say occasional, I mean I can count how many I've smoked my whole life on both hands. :D Oh, and very occasionally I enjoy a flavored hookah with a drink when I'm in the mood.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Overmind One

Yes, I do have a slightly addictive personality, but I have never been an alcoholic or any sort of heavy drug user (never did IVs, opiates, meth). Cigarettes have been in my life since the USMC. My sister never smoked and my brother does smoke cigs. My father told me he used to smoke before I was born, but he quit after I was born and I never saw him smoke or drink. My mother did not smoke, but when she was younger in college she did smoke marijuana and try cocaine. That is the extent of my illicit drug use. My MM is not recreational.

Today, I am going around and getting rid of things that remind me of smoking cigarettes. :) My neighbor Mike smokes like a smokestack and I told him he needs to leave me be for a couple of days until my nicostat level is zero (it takes three days to eliminate all active nicotine and it's by products).

How bad is it (so far)?

• CRAVING. I have had three "craves" since last night, I read that they last no more than three minutes. This is accurate. Mine last about 2.5-3 minutes each.
    • A single sugar free breath mint gets me through a crave. I am using coolmint Icebreakers for this. :)
    icebreakers_mints_Coolmint.png
    • PREPARATION. I knew I was going to try (yet another) quit smoking attempt sometime this year. If I had not prepared for it somewhat, I dont think I would have been ready for the moment of declaring my attempt last night.
    • Hunger? Im not getting this one. At this point, I am not feeling a need to eat to relieve the stress of quitting. I have read that this is an effect of quitting, but I am not experiencing this.
    • Irritability....this one is coming, I can feel it. I may be a bit pissy today. :shame:

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Gatefan1976

Gatefan1976 Well Known GateFan

The eating part is generally tied to the physical act of smoking, which why a lot of people quitting or have quit have pens or pencils in their mouth.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Overmind One

Strange...I can feel air filling my deep sinuses. I can actually feel that there is space there...hard to describe. When I breathe in, the sinuses way behind my nose feel clear. Its a good feeling. :)

• Like Like x 1
  9. Overmind One

4:00 PM, 3/11/2014

Several tobacco craves today (maybe 5 of them). They last only a couple of minutes and are gone. This is it? I know Im only on my first day, but the world isnt coming to an end yet. Strange effect on the taste of coffee and Splenda...does not seem as sweet. I can smell food cooking in the apartments around me, and I can also smell the exhaust from vehicles I couldn't smell before.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Bluce Ree

Bluce Ree Tech Admin / Council Member

7:35 PM, 3/11/2014

The blood lust continues to overtake my faculties and common sense as I give in to its divinely addictive nature. A memory triggered by the urge, that of air filled with the scent of fresh blood following ...

Oh, wait. Sorry. Shit, wrong addiction thread.

• Funny Funny x 5
  11. Backstep

Backstep Guest

Wait till you're stuck in the elevator with the guy that had Taco Bell, he had to sacrifice his underwear cause of the Helix holographic toilet paper roll dispenser.
    <evil laugh> <evil laugh> <evil laugh>

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. Overmind One

6:15 PM, March 11, 2014

I already failed! I found half a smoked cigarette in my car and I just smoked it. :( But guess what...this is one day at a time. I start again NOW. I will not be buying a pack of cigarettes. :) There are now no cigarettes anywhere inside my place or my car.

hand-cross.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Tripler

Tripler Well Known GateFan

Goodluck my friend . It is a tough highway but keep the pedal to the metal and you will get through this storm :encouragement::encouragement::encouragement:

Never smoked ,,, never will ,,, but I do drive fast as hell . That is my addiction :onthego::onthego::onthego:

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  14. Overmind One

11:14pm March 11, 2014

Back on track. :) I can feel that same clear feeling in my sinuses as I felt this morning. Im getting whiffs of things I hadnt noticed before. The incense burner I use actually has a smell without the incense being burned (the ash?).

The craves are not getting worse. They last now only about a minute and a half. Im not particularly stressed. But after the slip earlier today, I know that all progress can be stopped by one slip.

quit_smoking_no_sign_smoke_free.jpg

15. Overmind One

Common triggers:

• After eating meals.
    • After sex
    • Drinking hot coffee
    • Seeing others smoke (in movies, on TV)
    The smell of cigarette smoke is quite distinctive. I imagine it will become somewhat unpleasant to me as time goes on. :) I would have normally bought a pack by now. Since that half cigarette this afternoon, my resolve has strengthened and I am aware that this is not going to be as easy as I want it to be.

There are lots of resources out there to help me out. Even the CDC is involved. :)

16. Gatefan1976

DO NOT DRINK COFFEE!!!
    they are sense connected, just, don't do it.
    Have a strong tea instead.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. Overmind One

That is exactly what I have been doing. :) Having hot and iced green tea. Others told me what you just did. :daniel_new_anime021:

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Gatefan1976

If your will is wavering, don't even have "hot drinks"
    They associate with comfort, and you don't need that if you want to really quit.

19. Overmind One

Thanks. The connection is not that deep except with coffee. I smell coffee, and I think "cigarette". I have been gradually slowing over the years and there arent many things left to trigger me. After sex is no longer a given, as she might not be a smoker. Finding that half smoked cigarette in my car when I did had the double whammy of being my last cigarette, and since it had already been lit, it really smelled strong even though it was out at the time. Hell, I was less than 12 hours into my quit! But Im in for the long haul now.

Im going for the rough road. Cold turkey, no substitute behaviors (candy cigars, nicotine replacement, etc.). The numbers say a whopping 92 percent of successful non-smokers did it cold turkey. A paltry 7 percent of non smokers became non smokers using NRT like patches and gum and lozenges. Those I know personally who have done this say that you have to face the addiction and vanquish it, not duck from it and avoid it.

After dinner tonight, my craves came hard and fast. Every 10 minutes for an hour or so. EXCRUCIATING. They say this is caused by the body eliminating nicotine and then needing/wanting more to replace it. I have no cigarettes and it is after 2am PST. :) I am forced to tough it out. One day at a time....

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Gatefan1976

Yup, it a pretty standard trigger (coffee that is)
    You did not "fail" if you bought a pack, you would have "failed".
    Then again, I still smoke twice a day more than you do, so who am I to talk??

I actually believe that the physical act is far more addictive than the nicotine. As you have rightly stated it only takes 14 days to clear the crap out of your system, it takes much more to break the physical action addiction. Thing is though, those 14 days can be sheer HELL because the withdrawal can be really BAD.

The "mid meal smoke"?
    Yep, you don't have much of a choice here in CT mode.
    I will encourage you to quit, and even give you crappy afformations every day if you want them, thats up to you. :)

• Like Like x 2