The Monsterverse Will Continue with Legendary! (very likely, not officially)

Shadow Mann

Staff member
So, according to one of my favorites Mr. H., Toho has decided to allow Legendary to continue with its current direction in the Monsterverse it has created for the kaiju. This is HUGE. The main reason is that it performed so well in streaming. This is not exactly official, but it is very likely after the numbers for Kong vs Godzilla came in.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g13_ird18to

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Kong vs Godzilla also killed it in box-office. It made a profit.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
Kong vs Godzilla also killed it in box-office. It made a profit.
Yep, its a formula that worked, and worked very well for all parties involved. Toho can sit back and let Legendary shape the Monsterverse into something it can use for itself in the future. It was wise to tie them all to an origin. Most kaiju films have had to be creative in explaining how giant kaiju appeared on earth.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I do wonder if Toho has any plans to use the Monsterverse setting. Their last entry, Shin Godzilla, went off on its own and was a huge hit and even won Best Picture in Japan’s version of the Oscars (and their version is not a woke joke like ours).

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I do wonder if Toho has any plans to use the Monsterverse setting. Their last entry, Shin Godzilla, went off on its own and was a huge hit and even won Best Picture in Japan’s version of the Oscars (and their version is not a woke joke like ours).
Yep, there is no reason that Toho should not follow that one up. Seems that both of the Godzillas can now co-exist in the same universe, or we can tell the story of Shin Godzilla in an alternate universe.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
One thing I hope is if Legendary keeps it going they learn to trim the supporting cast WAY back. Godzilla movies need only 1 or 2 characters with real plot and development time. All the rest can be cameos to move the story along - and PLEASE make the stories focused.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
One thing I hope is if Legendary keeps it going they learn to trim the supporting cast WAY back. Godzilla movies need only 1 or 2 characters with real plot and development time. All the rest can be cameos to move the story along - and PLEASE make the stories focused.
IKR? All the human characters other than the absolute essentials is taking away from the kaiju stories. Legendary needs to adjust their formula and get it that humans are not the stars of kaiju films. They are supporting characters. And we do not need many of them, and definitely not their backstories. We do not need any Brody Family or Millie Bobby Brown on a side quest.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
It's too early to post spoiler commentary about Godzilla Minus One, but DAMN! It's the best Godzilla movie in many years. Not because it looks the best, but because it feels like a real Godzilla movie. They fixed the human element so it is within the context of drama within the horror that Godzilla was bringing to them. I like this MUCH better than where they were going with the "Defender Godzilla". Godzilla is a monster again in this film.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I also really liked Minus One. To me Minus One and Shin Godzilla stand side by side both displaying what people who take the setting and character of Gojira seriously can do with it. Minus One tells a real, human story with characters that engage you and a truly vicious Godzilla forming the catalyst for the plot. Shin on the other hand is a pointed political epistle targeting the sclerotic response of the Japanese government to the 2011 Tsunami and Fukushima disasters.

Shadow Mann

Staff member
I also really liked Minus One. To me Minus One and Shin Godzilla stand side by side both displaying what people who take the setting and character of Gojira seriously can do with it. Minus One tells a real, human story with characters that engage you and a truly vicious Godzilla forming the catalyst for the plot. Shin on the other hand is a pointed political epistle targeting the sclerotic response of the Japanese government to the 2011 Tsunami and Fukushima disasters.
Yes, this new one gave me 1954s feels. They made Godzilla a monster again, wreaking havoc and being a senseless destroyer. THAT is what he is. In my opinion, of course!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VvSrHIX5a-0