The Minty Goodness of Linux Mint.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I don't doubt that on a different machine Mint could be "Mintier". This laptop alas has a different display, different graphics and different I/O technology than most of the machine people put Mint on.

If you want WINE on Linux use Crossover. It is far more capable than straight WINE as the Codeweavers gang didn't just add a UI - they greatly added to the API compatibility. I use Crossover Mac and it never has failed.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't doubt that on a different machine Mint could be "Mintier". This laptop alas has a different display, different graphics and different I/O technology than most of the machine people put Mint on.

If you want WINE on Linux use Crossover. It is far more capable than straight WINE as the Codeweavers gang didn't just add a UI - they greatly added to the API compatibility. I use Crossover Mac and it never has failed.

My home and work machine have custom specs, so the experience seems to be exceptionally good as far as Mint goes. Evidently, I am going to need more RAM and a better video card in order to get the Windows VMware to run optimally in Mint. That same upgrade would allow Wine to run much better too which means that my games installed in Wine with PlayOnLinux will run like they did in native Windows. :) Everything else runs without issue, and media compatibility and playing(both video and audio) is superior to Windows. All the other stuff like CD burning, file sharing over bluetooth and overall performance is still better than in Windows 8.1 on my home machine. The touchscreen Acer is another story. :( It runs, but it is muddy and the mouse response sucks. Touch is fully implemented, but I prefer the mouse and that is laggy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Mint definitely needs tweaks after installing, but once tweaked, that is the end of it...at least it seems that way for me. Only the gaming on Linux is a disappointment for me, and it always has been. Still, the advantages outweigh the downsides IMO.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Im going through game withdrawal. :( I think I may just convert my all-Linux Mint touchscreen computer into a dual boot Windows 7/Mint machine so I can play my games properly. Yes, they play in Mint, but the experience is not consistent (graphics). My main entertainment computer connected to the livingroom TV does have the power to run the games well, but I think it needs more RAM. Considering building a new high power system to run virtual machines which will pass graphics control to the native graphics card. Just have to figure out exactly what I need....

Meanwhile, the touchscreen is going to get a makeover. Since I used the entire drive (1TB) for Linux, I will need to use a LiveCD of Mint to shrink the partition with gparted, and make room for Windows. Then, since Windows will destroy GRUB, I will have to use EasyBCD to add Mint to the Windows 7 loader so I can boot both.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
That is windoze . I can't boot into mint .

When I fix it, you will be able to log into Mint. Windows destroys the GRUB bootloader that Linux uses, but you can restore access with a little program called EasyBCD which will allow you to put a new entry for Linux. I have to do this for myself.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
When I fix it, you will be able to log into Mint. Windows destroys the GRUB bootloader that Linux uses, but you can restore access with a little program called EasyBCD which will allow you to put a new entry for Linux. I have to do this for myself.

The timing for this is great because I have to go through this same dual boot setup for myself. :) Mine is a bit more complicated since Linux takes up my entire drive...I have to shrink it and then create a new partition for Windows to live on.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Does Linux Mint have a replacement for Photoshop? Check out my corner for the reason why I ask.

Well, yes it sorta does, but if you are a regular Photoshop user, you will not be impressed with Gimp.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Well, yes it sorta does, but if you are a regular Photoshop user, you will not be impressed with Gimp.

I've used Photoshop extensively and I've used the latest GIMP. Aside from some interface differences (i.e. key navigation) and some features like Pantone color support, it's actually quite complete and will seem familiar.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Why am I not surprised Bluce is familiar with GIMP.

:)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Problem solved with the games. :) All I needed was a better video cars and more RAM (the video card would have solved it without the RAM). I had a 1GB video cars, now I have a 2GB Nvidia card. Problem solved. :) I am using the proprietary Nvidia driver and not the nvidia-current in the repositories (Software Center).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've used Photoshop extensively and I've used the latest GIMP. Aside from some interface differences (i.e. key navigation) and some features like Pantone color support, it's actually quite complete and will seem familiar.

Well you know best because I hate Photoshop so I hated Gimp. :) I installed Macromedia Fireworks 8 (yes it's old), and it works perfectly in Wine.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Wine can't run winamp properly.

I know. :) There are quite a few things it wont run. Mostly those things which have "phone home" capabilities built into them like Winamp, iTunes for Windows, Outlook any version...but MS Office programs up to 2010 will run flawlessly except Outlook and OneNote.

Use XBMC. It is a much better Media Center than Winamp, and it even has ProjectM available for visualizations. With the XBMC remote app in the Google Play store, you can control it remotely with your phone. :) I loved Winamp too.

Notes:

Set it to run Windowed. If you dont, when you run it you will not be able to minimize it when playing music. It likes to run fullscreen.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Why would you want Winamp when you have so many fantastic open source alternatives?
I don't want to use crappy Itunes to sync my massive 160gb ipod. Before you ask why I bought this, it is old and there wasn't/isn't a player on the market of this size still. If you know any other alternatives that can sync ipod, I would very much like that.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I don't want to use crappy Itunes to sync my massive 160gb ipod. Before you ask why I bought this, it is old and there wasn't/isn't a player on the market of this size still. If you know any other alternatives that can sync ipod, I would very much like that.

Use Banshee (it should already be installed). :)

banshee.jpg