The Minty Goodness of Linux Mint.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Hmmm ,,, I downloaded the Wine Program Loader . It's there in downloads but what do I do now to have it show up in ( open with ) ?

Use the "Software Manager" to install and remove all software. Don't venture out into the web and try to do these things manually when it's easily done through the software manager.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
I've got bigger issues now . Mint does not show up in the boot menu and all downloads are failing in windows . Also my 4 terabyte WD Sata drive is in Devices but it does not appear along with the other drives ,,,. Boy somethin messed up here .
This has all happened since the last Windows update . Win7 won't let me look at my pics . Would Linux Mint gThumb have changed things up that much ?

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Can't watch Netflix . It says Silver light has an issue so I have to uninstall it . Windoez won't let me unistall it but if I were able , windoez wont let me download it anyway

sheeese ,,,

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Can't watch Netflix . It says Silver light has an issue so I have to uninstall it . Windoez won't let me unistall it but if I were able , windoez wont let me download it anyway

sheeese ,,,

WAIT! At this point, you should not boot back into Mint before addressing the Windows issues. If you are willing, I will connect to you this evening and fix all those issues for you (free). Trust me, I can definitely fix it. :) This does not sound NEARLY as FU as Gatefan76's machine which I just fixed a couple of days ago.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
WAIT! At this point, you should not boot back into Mint before addressing the Windows issues. If you are willing, I will connect to you this evening and fix all those issues for you (free). Trust me, I can definitely fix it. :) This does not sound NEARLY as FU as Gatefan76's machine which I just fixed a couple of days ago.

No problem there . Mint is not existent in the boot up .

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No problem there . Mint is not existent in the boot up .

That is because the bootloader is broken. This is common with dual boot systems where one of the systems is Windows. You have NOT lost data. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I had to use rEFIt to get mint running on mine.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I had to use rEFIt to get mint running on mine.

How do you like Mint? :) I am amazed at how Windows-like it is, yet it is pure Linux. The user experience for a primary Windows user is painless, and the learning curve is just a slope and not a steep incline. Once I have Tripler running smoothly, he is gonna love Mint. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
From what I was able to experience so far I am liking mint .

:) :) :)

Im hoping I havent missed you...unexpected stuff! Been PMing you for an hour or so....

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Sorry . Fell asleep . 5:47 AM here in TO . I can't do remote as Windoze won't let me download anything . All downloads fail .

:( :( :(

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
All you need to do is be able to access OM's work website, is that possible?

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Thing is, if you are still here, you have net access.
Can you go back to win??

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sadly after a couple of days of experimenting I had to draw back on Mint. Like every other flavor of Linux I've tried it doesn't necessarily play well with either Iris Pro or the Retina display. Intel supports Linux fairly well do I would expect they will put out certified drivers for Iris Pro for the more common kernels soon enough - then I can try again.

Speed wise it was okay but both OS X and Windows 8.1 were a good clip faster - again I think this is in part that driver support for this hardware hasn't caught up yet. I keep remembering that OS X itself only now with Yosemite seems to perform properly on this type of high end hardware. Before that Apple had the embarrassing situation where a rival OS (Windows) far outperformed its own OS on hardware that OS X is specially coded to.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Sadly after a couple of days of experimenting I had to draw back on Mint. Like every other flavor of Linux I've tried it doesn't necessarily play well with either Iris Pro or the Retina display. Intel supports Linux fairly well do I would expect they will put out certified drivers for Iris Pro for the more common kernels soon enough - then I can try again.

Speed wise it was okay but both OS X and Windows 8.1 were a good clip faster - again I think this is in part that driver support for this hardware hasn't caught up yet. I keep remembering that OS X itself only now with Yosemite seems to perform properly on this type of high end hardware. Before that Apple had the embarrassing situation where a rival OS (Windows) far outperformed its own OS on hardware that OS X is specially coded to.

Im in love with Linux Mint. :) I am a bit disappointed at how Windows games play in it (older games I used to play on Windows), but for business and technical stuff, I just could not do what I am doing in Linux with Windows. Yet, Mint is giving me the same visceral experience as Windows (pretty UI, intuitive functions and features). Wine is iffy, but I have VMware Workstation with actual Windows 8.1 and Unity...for when I need Windows. But Windows 8 in the VM is not playing my newer games well. But it plays the older games quite well. So, Mint + Windows in a cage = good experience. But Windows played my games much more reliably and a tad faster on the same hardware.