The Minty Goodness of Linux Mint.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I downloaded it and it asked me to burn it to a DVD which I have done .

I am completely lost with this .

:( :( :(

Okay, you need to make your computer boot to the CD. Turn it off, then look carefully at the screens that come up before the OS starts. You are going to hit either Delete or F2 (sometimes F12). If there is a choice for "Boot Menu", choose that (usually F10 or F11). Select boot into CD/DVD. You have to boot the computer up with the disc in the drive.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is not Windows. :) The blue icon theme is gnome-brave-icons. (click to enlarge)

Screenshot from 2014-08-31 15:42:49.png

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Woohoo !!! That worked OM1 . I like how you can boot into either at startup . Having an issue with the desktop though . My screen is too large and everything hangs over the sides a bit . I have no visual of the task bar but there are popups to tell me what I'm looking at .I also have this issue in the bios mainpage but when I go to advanced in the bios it's ok . I'll keep fiddiling around with it . Mint looks super sweet so far .

Thanks again for the help to all involved . I feel like a real geek and nerd now using a Linux system . Always been a nerd ,,,just having to add geek to it makes it more fulfilling ...

:) :) :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Woohoo !!! That worked OM1 . I like how you can boot into either at startup . Having an issue with the desktop though . My screen is too large and everything hangs over the sides a bit . I have no visual of the task bar but there are popups to tell me what I'm looking at .I also have this issue in the bios mainpage but when I go to advanced in the bios it's ok . I'll keep fiddiling around with it . Mint looks super sweet so far .

Thanks again for the help to all involved . I feel like a real geek and nerd now using a Linux system . Always been a nerd ,,,just having to add geek to it makes it more fulfilling ...

Go to System Settings, Displays. Change the resolution to 1920x1080 (or 1280 x 800). The big screen is because you do not have your drivers configured properly. Install Mint, and once installed go into a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

Or, you can click your start button and go into System Settings, Additional Drivers. Let the system find the right driver. :)

I am willing to give you whatever assistance you need to get your Mint system going the way you want. I have been studying it intently and using it very heavily at work and at home. :) Bluce can help you as well.

Last edited:

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
1920 x 1080 (16:9) gives me the sharpest screen but it still over hangs a bit . 1680x1050 (16:10) is fuzzy looking but gives me a full screen .

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Go to System Settings, Displays. Change the resolution to 1920x1080 (or 1280 x 800). The big screen is because you do not have your drivers configured properly. Install Mint, and once installed go into a terminal and type:

Code:
sudo apt-get upgrade

Or, you can click your start button and go into System Settings, Additional Drivers. Let the system find the right driver. :)

I am willing to give you whatever assistance you need to get your Mint system going the way you want. I have been studying it intently and using it very heavily at work and at home. :) Bluce can help you as well.

Mint is doin it's updates . Thanks . Took me a while to find terminal as it was in start ,accessories , terminal

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
It recognized the .44 you were threatening it with you damn bikie hooligan!!!

Oh, BTW, I think you dropped your stick...........

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
1920 x 1080 (16:9) gives me the sharpest screen but it still over hangs a bit . 1680x1050 (16:10) is fuzzy looking but gives me a full screen .

the proper drivers should scale the screen automatically to the right size. Do you have the specs for the machine? From the Windows side, download and run Belarc Advisor and PM it to me. It will show the graphics card you have.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Can't seem to get the exe to open for my downloads . What do I need to do to get them to install ? I downloaded Torch and Belarc Advisor and found the exe for both but nothing happens . I'll keep looking around . I'm really enjoying Mint even if it has a different layout than stinkin windozer . I really like that I do not have to keep doing the ( are you sure you want to do this ) questions that windozer always asks you or having to click on the ( yes and no ) . Mint just changes things right in front of . Friggin awesome ! . It does not treat you like you are stupid.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Oh and all updates have been done also . Found out how to do that . Also I'm trying to install Netflix but it won't let me put in my password for the install in Terminal .

Another puzzle ???

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
It recognized the .44 you were threatening it with you damn bikie hooligan!!!

Oh, BTW, I think you dropped your stick...........

I thought you were speaking Linux geek there for a bit so it took me a day or 2 of reading what you typed to get it lol . The ADD runs strong in my family .
darth-vader-on-vacation.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Can't seem to get the exe to open for my downloads . What do I need to do to get them to install ? I downloaded Torch and Belarc Advisor and found the exe for both but nothing happens . I'll keep looking around . I'm really enjoying Mint even if it has a different layout than stinkin windozer . I really like that I do not have to keep doing the ( are you sure you want to do this ) questions that windozer always asks you or having to click on the ( yes and no ) . Mint just changes things right in front of . Friggin awesome ! . It does not treat you like you are stupid.

Just learning curve bro...:) Right click your exe files and choose Open With > Wine Program Loader. Wine will grab any dependencies it needs to run the program. :)

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Hmmm ,,, I downloaded the Wine Program Loader . It's there in downloads but what do I do now to have it show up in ( open with ) ?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hmmm ,,, I downloaded the Wine Program Loader . It's there in downloads but what do I do now to have it show up in ( open with ) ?

You need to use the Software Center to install the right version of Wine. Once installed, you should see it when you right click. Your Wine programs will have the icon of a wine glass. Right click, Open With, and if you do not see it then click Other Application and find the Wine Program Loader.