The Last Ship Season 4

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Season Four of the Last Ship kicked off with a two hour premiere titled (appropriately) "In Medias Res". And yes, like the other seasons it seems the show is reinventing itself again.

This season we seem to be into a more "hard science fiction" tack as the Red Flu that killed about 65% of the population in Season One has jumped into the plant kingdom, progressively killing the basic food crops and causing worldwide famine. The premiere drops us into the effort to locate plant strains that are unaffected to cross pollinate with grain and corn and such, with the complication that others also seek the "immune plants".

As far as the "was it good"? Overall yes. I admit to not being a big fan of the "In Medias Res" storytelling technique because it usually leaves you without context to put character actions in. Here, however, they had scenes about 30 minutes in that explained what was going on pretty well so they dodged that bullet. Also, we have a new setting again - last season was mostly in Asia and this one so far has been in Greece, Gibraltar and Oran.

OMG, I can't believe this shit show hasn't been cancelled yet. Now don't worry, I won't rant about how horrible the last three seasons were. But seriously, I gotta rant about this new season you have described. Let me get this straight, the flu has "jumped" to plant life now? WTF??? That's not how botanical biology works. That is, quite honestly, the most asinine premise imaginable. I can't even... I... I'm just... WTF??? :disillusionment::disillusionment::disillusionment:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Actually there are three families of virii that are capable of infecting plants, animals and humans.

And sorry, but this has been a good show. I expected it to be bad before it premiered but it has been pretty good instead. And it keeps itself fresh by essentially resetting its premise each season. The lack of shipping has been nice and the pacing is good, it has action and generally good acting. Kind of like a much better executed version of Jericho.

Actually there are three families of virii that are capable of infecting plants, animals and humans.

I know it's rather foolish to argue about a fictional premise such as this as most fans of the show don't care about scientific facts of reality. But I simply can't suspend my disbelief because all it takes is an eighth grade understanding of biology to figure out that this premise is a joke, even by scifi standards.

At any rate, regarding your "3 viruses that affect humans", you can find anything you want to "support" your argument using a cursory Google search. But when you go more in depth you discover that hair-brained theories are just that, hair-brained theories. There is no evidence that plant viruses can jump to humans and vice versa. Sure there's one small "study" about a virus in peppers that a handful of participants anecdotally claimed made them feel bad. There was no medical examination of their physiological response, just a casual mention that a handful of people in this study "felt bad" after eating peppers. That's hardly proof that plant viruses can infect humans. (Infect as in enter the host and begin to reproduce.)

And when one does a Google search for the subject of plant viruses infecting humans one can't find any history of such a thing. Human biology simply doesn't support it. At most one can infer a possible allergic reaction to toxins produced by plant viruses, but that is not the same as infection. As it is humans are allergic to many botanical substances, but again, that's not infection and it's not lethal pandemic-ally. If humans started to croak from eating tomatoes word would quickly spread and the populace would stop eating tomatoes and people would stop dying. The virus in those tomatoes would not be passed from the humans who ate those tomatoes to humans who eschewed "love apples" (old moniker for tomatoes). There would be no pandemic because an allergic reaction is not the same as a viral infection. Neither is poisoning, i.e. having a (lethal) reaction to toxins in the consumed plant material. And those toxins would most likely be created by the plant in reaction to the virus infecting it, not by the virus itself.

I can't expound on this point enough. Any reaction that humans would have to plant viruses would be in regards to toxins that are consumed when plant material is ingested. And as I said, those toxins would be produced by the plant in response to its viral pathogen. The toxins would not be from the virus itself (as opposed to bacteria or fungi which can excrete toxins).* So basically what you would have is simple poisoning, not infection. At best you would have an immune response based upon an allergic reaction. Remove the offending allergen and the response ends because there is no replication of any viral pathogen to continue the assault upon our immune system. Plant viruses simply cannot replicate once in the human body. Our biology doesn't allow for it. Allergen yes, pathogen no.

*And even if I'm wrong regarding viruses not excreting toxins it's a moot point. Once those plant viruses entered the human body they would die off because they could no longer reproduce as humans don't have plant physiology. A better story premise for this show would be having the virus infect human gut bacteria, which we all need to live. But then again, how do you make the jump to infecting the world's flora as the same logically-deduced problem would exist regarding cross-species (cross-phylum?) infection.

*I was tempted to use the word "viri" or "virii" as a designation for virus but couldn't corroborate it as being legit via a Latin or Greek root. My trusty Latin/Greek root word dictionary had "virus" and other off shoots but the closest to viri was "vir" which means "a man". I'm not saying that "viri" isn't acceptable in modern usage, but I'm just pointing out that it piqued my interest to see if it was the proper use of the singular, or plural, version of "virus". Some Google sites said no and some said yes, go figure. Incidentally, my father, who was a highly trained botonist/horticulturalist, gave me that root word dictionary. He used it for the botany and biology classes he taught. It's a great reference book to have on hand and is much better than the Internet when looking up the origins of words I have found.

*Here's a link with a more scientific explanation of what I am getting at regarding my criticism of the premise of this show. It talks about a tobacco virus affecting humans but is clear to point out that plant viruses don't replicate inside the human body. It also mentions the "pepper study" and clearly states that plant virology isn't compatible with human biology.

http://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0060621

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Not w go check the opposite, virii that can affect both humans and plants. And yes there are three families with such virii in them. It's rare no doubt, but can happen especially if one of the transmission means is insect and other such bites.

Not w go check the opposite, virii that can affect both humans and plants. And yes there are three families with such virii in them. It's rare no doubt, but can happen especially if one of the transmission means is insect and other such bites.

I don't understand the first part of your statement. Can you clarify?

As for the second part about the "rare, transmissible virii via insect bites" can you show where these virii are capable of reproducing within the human body? Or vice versa with human virii infecting plants?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

And sorry, but this has been a good show. I expected it to be bad before it premiered but it has been pretty good instead. And it keeps itself fresh by essentially resetting its premise each season. The lack of shipping has been nice and the pacing is good, it has action and generally good acting. Kind of like a much better executed version of Jericho.

I won't get into the virii conversation, but are they still on that same battleship? And if so, are they finding lots of places to make port? How are they refueling? Have they dumped the boat and are they all now living on land? Stuff like that. :)

I stopped watching the show because it got Lost (capital L intentional). I understand that you like the "resetting it's premise each season". For me, that makes it more Lost-y than I care for.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Well, I do have to point out that I think PG is making the point (validly) that virii which INFECT plants cannot also INFECT humans. Transmitting a virus via a parasitic host, or perhaps the water circulatory systems in plants might allow transmission of a virus, but that is not the same as infection. Just my two cents. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yes they are still on their ship (a DDG not a Battleship). As to logistics, they have consistently covered the mechanics of supply and such - for example in the premiere they based out of the naval base at Rota, Spain. Remember that they have passed the plague and last season was much more about starting to rebuild and such.

As to Lost, it bears no resemblance to Lost (thankfully). The plotlines actually can be followed unlike Lost and the storylines are not illogical (again unlike Lost).

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well, I do have to point out that I think PG is making the point (validly) that virii which INFECT plants cannot also INFECT humans. Transmitting a virus via a parasitic host, or perhaps the water circulatory systems in plants might allow transmission of a virus, but that is not the same as infection. Just my two cents. :)

Which coincidentally is what they are depicting - the Red Flu virus mutated and via parasites and possibly water moved into certain plant species acting much like a "rust", destroying the plants. And "rust" is a very real problem in agriculture (it's called "rust" because of the appearance, it is actually a toxic fungi that kills the plants).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes they are still on their ship (a DDG not a Battleship). As to logistics, they have consistently covered the mechanics of supply and such - for example in the premiere they based out of the naval base at Rota, Spain. Remember that they have passed the plague and last season was much more about starting to rebuild and such.

As to Lost, it bears no resemblance to Lost (thankfully). The plotlines actually can be followed unlike Lost and the storylines are not illogical (again unlike Lost).

How do they reset the premise? I watched Season One and liked it. But Season Two became shippy to me. I stopped watching two episodes into Season Two.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Shippy? This show has been pretty unique in having virtually zero shipping.

The premises have so far been:

S1: Post Apocalyptic Plague

S2: The Immune War and distributing the cure/vaccine (much more action - geopolitics)

S3: The crisis in Asia and the coup in the US (more geopolitical - kind of like 24 meets West Wing with the scifi still there)

S4: So far it seems to be more like a Tom Clancy style thriller with the backdrop of a spreading global famine.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Shippy? This show has been pretty unique in having virtually zero shipping.

I guess we overlook stuff when we really like a show. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Now put that scene into context. It was on the Russian BC in Season 1 (episode "Two Sailors Walk into a Bar") and the "kiss" was a subterfuge Scott used to pass a note to Chandler (paper in tiny container she had hidden in her mouth) with directions as she had surrendered to the Russian Admiral as part of a cover for the rescue/attack that occurred shortly thereafter. They never shipped either Scott or Chandler (or for that matter anyone else to speak of).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Now put that scene into context. It was on the Russian BC in Season 1 (episode "Two Sailors Walk into a Bar") and the "kiss" was a subterfuge Scott used to pass a note to Chandler (paper in tiny container she had hidden in her mouth) with directions as she had surrendered to the Russian Admiral as part of a cover for the rescue/attack that occurred shortly thereafter. They never shipped either Scott or Chandler (or for that matter anyone else to speak of).

:) So, what about Kara and Danny?

Season 2:

The show had shipping. I am not saying that it was a huge part of the show, but you said the show was "unique" in that it had virtually no shipping. It did have shipping. There was even tinkling piano.

Oh, and what about Tom and Sasha? They were definitely not passing notes. :)

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Sorry but does have virtually no shipping. Had you watched you would have known that Tom and Sasha were an item a LONG time ago (before the show started). Sasha came into the show in Season Three and if anything there has been more friction than shipping between them. Also you're watching some goofy fan film not the actual episode.

As to Danny and Kara, again they have kept it really minimal. She wasn't even on the ship in Season Three and the plot spends almost no time on them (sorry but spending a whole five minutes in a season is not shippy). You can't have zero personal relationships on a show because then the characters cease being human. This show has kept it to the bare mnimum - if you want a show that let itself become infested with shipping I give you NuBSG.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
He's actually been pretty understated on this show - which surprised me as I know well his reputation for overacting.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
well what the hell-exactly-do yo guys want in a sci fi show? to make something draw viewers, writers have to push some boundaries of reality (hence "fiction"). Blowing up the things that are possible yet however improbable.

if this, or any other show stuck to the hard facts of science, naval life, military protocol or any thing else resembling 'acceptable everyday realities', just how many people do you think would watch it?

not many, and it would be on the SCIENCE channel

------------------------------------------------------------------
and what was so hard to follow about LOST? :)

geez, give it a rest already, either you liked a 'dead' show or you didn't. that dead horse is long buried

well what the hell-exactly-do yo guys want in a sci fi show? to make something draw viewers, writers have to push some boundaries of reality (hence "fiction"). Blowing up the things that are possible yet however improbable.

if this, or any other show stuck to the hard facts of science, naval life, military protocol or any thing else resembling 'acceptable everyday realities', just how many people do you think would watch it?

not many, and it would be on the SCIENCE channel

------------------------------------------------------------------
and what was so hard to follow about LOST? :)

geez, give it a rest already, either you liked a 'dead' show or you didn't. that dead horse is long buried

backing-singing-eh.gif