The "is this show still really on air,why?" Pathetic Walking Dead--S5

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So they killed off Noah and also Deanna's son. And Carol wants to kill Pete - which is awfully convenient for Rick as that will make Jessie available....

And, Glenn finds out that the Alexandrians reflex response to danger is to run away and abandon people in danger. In other words, stupid. And we're supposed to believe they actually survived this long?

The claim that Aiden and crew searched a fifty mile radius around Alexandria is laughable when you consider their lack of experience outside the walls of the town. They would have been battle-hardened warriors if that were the actual case.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
So I am really beginning to believe that the TPTB's have some "issue" with keeping African American males on board

i mean in perspective to the ethnic composition of the main cast from the beginning--are the black males not the most killed off "per capita"?

has anyone ran across anything on this or heard ppl talking about it?

----------------------
hey this could be the key to running this show off the air! Pull the race card! Get Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on a conference call and its curtains

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The claim that Aiden and crew searched a fifty mile radius around Alexandria is laughable when you consider their lack of experience outside the walls of the town. They would have been battle-hardened warriors if that were the actual case.

Maybe they had a drone? They lost it so that's why they have been recruiting hardened outsiders who actually know how to forage and survive...

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I am really beginning to believe that the TPTB's have some "issue" with keeping African American males on board

i mean in perspective to the ethnic composition of the main cast from the beginning--are the black males not the most killed off "per capita"?

has anyone ran across anything on this or heard ppl talking about it?

----------------------
hey this could be the key to running this show off the air! Pull the race card! Get Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson on a conference call and its curtains

Yes. :) But there is no need for protest because most blacks are not watching this show. People were noticing this way back in season 1, and it has not changed:

http://www.tv.com/shows/the-walking-dead/forums/this-show-hates-black-people-97118-3338137/

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i wonder what the socio-political mindset of the majority of the fanbase is (that is, ppl who actually like the show)? If liberal, then I can understand why no one has made any hay out of the issue

I would guess it is about half and half (liberal/conservative). It is a preppers dream, and the anarchists love it too. The liberal aspect of it is the sharing of resources and banding together for protection, no matter who is joining the group. This show is wildly successful even though personally I find it to be a turd.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I would guess it is about half and half (liberal/conservative). It is a preppers dream, and the anarchists love it too. The liberal aspect of it is the sharing of resources and banding together for protection, no matter who is joining the group. This show is wildly successful even though personally I find it to be a turd.

actually i wasn't bringing it up based on any type of ideological "match"--rather, the liberal "live the moment/watch it because my friends are/hipster" types

they would never criticize something they like for fear of being labeled hypocritical

they would say something like "how can the showrunners be racist when they are casting african americans in the first place?"

it was just a passing thought--outside of the shear silliness of the show, it is about the only "meaningful" thing that comes to my mind every time I see another 'token' whacked

And there is something so "patrician (Jeffersonian?)" ideal to keeping the female black actors but killing off the men--and old and evil concept

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
actually i wasn't bringing it up based on any type of ideological "match"--rather, the liberal "live the moment/watch it because my friends are/hipster" types

they would never criticize something they like for fear of being labeled hypocritical

they would say something like "how can the showrunners be racist when they are casting african americans in the first place?"

it was just a passing thought--outside of the shear silliness of the show, it is about the only "meaningful" thing that comes to my mind every time I see another 'token' whacked

And there is something so "patrician (Jeffersonian?)" ideal to keeping the female black actors but killing off the men--and old and evil concept

From day one (the first episode), they established that this show was to take place in the deep south and they used the n-word in that episode. Both Merle and Darryl were supposed to represent the redneck element, but the actor playing Daryl managed to widen the appeal of the character for the show. Casting African Americans can easily be racist when you only give them the roles of slaves, criminals or by killing them off first and more often than non-AA characters. Viewers have called the show racist from the beginning, although Robert Kirkman says the show is not racist:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/04...alking-dead-1338093?lt_source=external,manual

But I have to say...I have been to Atlanta, and no part of it is less than 35% black. Atlanta metro is more than 50% black but this is not reflected in season 1 of the show.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
From day one (the first episode), they established that this show was to take place in the deep south and they used the n-word in that episode. Both Merle and Darryl were supposed to represent the redneck element, but the actor playing Daryl managed to widen the appeal of the character for the show. Casting African Americans can easily be racist when you only give them the roles of slaves, criminals or by killing them off first and more often than non-AA characters. Viewers have called the show racist from the beginning, although Robert Kirkman says the show is not racist:

http://moviepilot.com/posts/2014/04...alking-dead-1338093?lt_source=external,manual

But I have to say...I have been to Atlanta, and no part of it is less than 35% black. Atlanta metro is more than 50% black but this is not reflected in season 1 of the show.

how about the women? like i said keeping the black women around smacks very highly of how lave owners would favor good looking slave girls but beat or kill the men---is it just me? am i imagining parallel themes?

and i am not saying this is overt, but perhaps just a function of how some ppl have been raised

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I guess we now have psycho violent Rick. Plus it's pretty obvious they are setting up for walkers to get inside Alexandria and it is obvious there are raiders active outside the walls. If they are following the comics then Negan should debut next week and probably Glenn is killed.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Tonight's episode "Try".

Am I the only one sick of Rick? He's just such a douche, even when he's (ineptly) trying to do the right thing (for the wrong reasons) he's still a douche.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I guess we now have psycho violent Rick. Plus it's pretty obvious they are setting up for walkers to get inside Alexandria and it is obvious there are raiders active outside the walls. If they are following the comics then Negan should debut next week and probably Glenn is killed.

They've been doing the "W" thing on the walker's heads for quite awhile now. Everyone notices but then ignores it, because, well, we can't have any speculation about what's happening in the area now can we? :rolleye0014:

And you gotta love how Rick admitted that if someone else's spouse -- one that he wasn't horny for -- was being beaten on a regular basis he wouldn't fix the problem.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yeah, it looks like Jessie will replace Andrea (who in the comics is Rick's current wife).

It would be nice if the group having gotten this incredible gift of a community behind steel walls would actually think logically and get things properly setup for defense

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Let's see...

-- Rick is off his meds.

-- Sasha needs meds (mostly for wasting tons of ammo).

-- The rest of the town is gobbling Xanax like candy because they're way too calm about everything.

Yup, that's how you survive a zombie apocalypse. :rolleyes:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Z Nation can't return soon enough.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Thank goodness next week is the season finale. I had gotten my hopes up that with the move to Alexandria the writing would get better but they're still making so many mistakes that it's painful.

BTW -- which major cast member buys the farm next week? The rumor is that it's Glenn but that could be a red herring. It might actually be Carol or even Daryl. (I'd love it to be Rick but we all know he's not going anywhere.)

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
BTW -- season finale tonight. Chances are good one of the main characters will be killed off. Rumor is that it's going to be Glenn but that could just be a red herring. I won't hold my breath that it will be Rick, but one can always hope. ;)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
If they go from where they are all the way to Glenn's death that will be speedy in terms of the comics as a lot of stuff still hasn't happened:

a) Walkers getting into Alexandria as part of a raid

b) Alexandrians fighting off the raiders and cleaning out the walkers

c) Rick being put in charge of Alexandria

d) Appearance of Negan and the Saviors

e) Discovery of several other fortified communities of survivors (The Hilltop, The Kingdom et al)