The first "space nation"? ASGARDIA and Jeff Bezos' BLUE ORIGIN/ Oneill Cylinders

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah--asgardia

to be an independent and fully functioning nation in space

built to be a platform for asteroid mining and to defend earth from asteroid hits

building to be starting by "nanobot" satellites

hmmmm....

http://www.businessinsider.com/asgardia-space-nation-law-2016-10

Interesting concept! I am not so sure about it's primary mission being to defend earth though. I think that a passive role like observation of NEC (near earth crossing) objects detection, but anything beyond that, like serving the military, is not a good thing.

Why build a nation on an asteroid right just now? I think when we venture out into space it needs to be something that serves Humanity, not corporations or capitalism.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Interesting concept! I am not so sure about it's primary mission being to defend earth though. I think that a passive role like observation of NEC (near earth crossing) objects detection, but anything beyond that, like serving the military, is not a good thing.

Why build a nation on an asteroid right just now? I think when we venture out into space it needs to be something that serves Humanity, not corporations or capitalism.

i think the plan is to build a very large space station in earth's outer orbit

the 'defense' is not military but for the purpose of diverting or destroying objects like asteroids and defunct but potentially dangerous satellites (which someone is going to have to start cleaning up very soon given the crowd of floating metal up there)

be interesting of they ever get anything like it built; china launched a crew to man their new space station today--their mission is to assess the livability of the place--sucks for them if the place wasn't built correctly---if anyone were to build anything like this, my guess it would have china and the private western companies chiefly involved

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Are we certain of the veracity of this source? Business Insider has (to put it mildly) a checkered record on the accuracy of their stories. For example, on their front page they have an article gushing over the Zumwalt class destroyer; which is ironic since the Navy cut the order from 32 to 3 and restarted production of Arleigh Burke class DDGs because of multiple problems with the Zumwalt.