The Europa Report: This is real science fiction at its very best!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
europa-report-hd-e1368839458648.jpg

I loved this movie. It was part Space Docudrama, part science fiction, and thoroughly mind expanding. :) If you are looking for Star Wars or Star Trek, forget it. This is more like 2001 meets Andromeda Strain meets The Apollo Moon Landings. The premise is the first manned mission to Europa, Jupiter's ice moon which is thought to support a complex ocean environment conducive to life. The characters are the carefully selected scientists and engineers from the world's best space programs. They embark on Europa One on a 19 month journey which culminates with landing on the moon itself and drilling.

They make a stupendous discovery, but not without great loss of life. The way this is done is completely realistic. One of the best I have seen in a long time. So, if you are looking for cheesy drama and weightless sex scenes, this is not your movie. If you are looking for rubber faced aliens or underwater alien cities, this is not your flick. But if you want great science fiction which feels and looks like science fact, pop that popcorn and have a seat. :)

Last edited:

OMNI

My avatar speaks for itself.
real sci fi at its "VERY BEST" seriously wtf has happened to you AND wtf have you done with OM1? have you had a stroke that in turn made you loose all critical thinking taste and quility assurance skills?

this movie was pure SHIT it had some intresting ideas but for the most part it is a "C"/"D" TV movie no better then the syfy movies of the week ie shark vs monster pussy etc.

seriously man im begining to think if SGU premiered NOW youd be a fucking fan-boi wouldnt you...

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
View attachment 28819

I loved this movie. It was part Space Docudrama, part science fiction, and thoroughly mind expanding. :) If you are looking for Star Wars or Star trek, forget it. This is more like 2001 meets Andromeda Strain meets The Apollo Moon Landings. The premise is the first manned mission to Europa, Jupiter's ice moon which is thought to support a complex ocean environment conducive to life. The characters are the carefully selected scientists and engineers from the world's best space programs. They embark on Europa One on a 19 month journey which culminates with landing on the moon itself and drilling.

They make a stupendous discovery, but not without great loss of life. The way this is done is completely realistic. One of the best I have seen in a long time. So, if you are looking for cheesy drama and weightless sex scenes, this is not your movie. If you are looking for rubber faced aliens or underwater alien cities, this is not your flick. But if you want great science fiction which feels and looks like science fact, pop that popcorn and have a seat. :)

I watched this yesterday on netflix. It was ok, watchable and interesting.

I am getting a bit tired of the "we don't know how to end the movie other then the nearly everyone dies/ does die" concept

Can't they find a way to make a more interesting ending? Like with the 2001 set of books/movies. In those we had death and disasters but they always led to more discovery in the next book/movie.

I think that having the comms come back online (did they ever get them fixed? I must have missed that) 'somehow' was a cheap way for forcing their premise to work-otherwise the message and video would not have made it back to Earth.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
real sci fi at its "VERY BEST" seriously wtf has happened to you AND wtf have you done with OM1? have you had a stroke that in turn made you loose all critical thinking taste and quility assurance skills?

this movie was pure SHIT it had some intresting ideas but for the most part it is a "C"/"D" TV movie no better then the syfy movies of the week ie shark vs monster pussy etc.

seriously man im begining to think if SGU premiered NOW youd be a fucking fan-boi wouldnt you...

LOL! WHY was it shit, OMNI? You didnt understand the science behind it? Seriously dude...you have serious issues when it comes to being open to new ideas. If you dont like it, then anybody who does is a fuckwad and you hate them and they should be strung up on an electric fence then shot in a firing squad after death and the body dissolved in acid. :facepalm: :P

Having said that, I stand by my post that I feel that the Europa Report is true science fiction at its best and I recommend it to anyone who wants to check it out.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I am getting a bit tired of the "we don't know how to end the movie other then the nearly everyone dies/ does die" concept

Can't they find a way to make a more interesting ending? Like with the 2001 set of books/movies. In those we had death and disasters but they always led to more discovery in the next book/movie.

I think that having the comms come back online (did they ever get them fixed? I must have missed that) 'somehow' was a cheap way for forcing their premise to work-otherwise the message and video would not have made it back to Earth.

I think they took things down a bit by having everybody die. But I liked the way they handled the sacrifices, like the guy who got the chemicals on his suit and could not be let back into the ship. I thought that Tatya was an idiot for walking on the ice after being told to come back to the ship and that she did not follow protocol. Also, why would they design this ship so that it needed to be actually sitting on the ice on landing struts? It needed some sort of pontoon setup. And how did the ice crack and swallow the ship when it took more than a day to drill through it with the drill? Still, these things didnt at all ruin the film for me and I loved it. Not good enough for a rewatch though, low entertainment value. This is an intellectual movie...a "what if" project, and I think they did an excellent job.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I think they took things down a bit by having everybody die. But I liked the way they handled the sacrifices, like the guy who got the chemicals on his suit and could not be let back into the ship. I thought that Tatya was an idiot for walking on the ice after being told to come back to the ship and that she did not follow protocol. Also, why would they design this ship so that it needed to be actually sitting on the ice on landing struts? It needed some sort of pontoon setup. And how did the ice crack and swallow the ship when it took more than a day to drill through it with the drill? Still, these things didnt at all ruin the film for me and I loved it. Not good enough for a rewatch though, low entertainment value. This is an intellectual movie...a "what if" project, and I think they did an excellent job.

Explains why DARPA/NASA and the 100yr Starship project all endorsed it. Kind of bad way to gin up support for space exploration though-having everyone die that is.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Seen this one? It is a natgeo docudrama. but unlike a lot of natgeo's stuff that kind get 'heavy' with too much of the science-thereby narrowing the audience-I think they did a very good job of blending dramatic fiction with science and "what ifs?"

Some have been critical of it, like complaining about the movies choice of propulsion for the escape ship. it uses the idea of releasing and exploding hundreds or thousands of nuclear devices and riding the blast wave. I believe the ship as other less powerful propulsion systems as well. The point of the show was though "If we found this out today, how could we get a suitable enough number of people off of the planet if we know we have about 75 yrs to do it?"

I think that is why they chose mainly "off the shelf" tech and ideas.

http://channel.nationalgeographic.c...d-evacuate-earth/at/starship-city-news-67073/

the entire movie here on YT:

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Seen this one? It is a natgeo docudrama. but unlike a lot of natgeo's stuff that kind get 'heavy' with too much of the science-thereby narrowing the audience-I think they did a very good job of blending dramatic fiction with science and "what ifs?"

Some have been critical of it, like complaining about the movies choice of propulsion for the escape ship. it uses the idea of releasing and exploding hundreds or thousands of nuclear devices and riding the blast wave. I believe the ship as other less powerful propulsion systems as well. The point of the show was though "If we found this out today, how could we get a suitable enough number of people off of the planet if we know we have about 25 yrs to do it?"

http://channel.nationalgeographic.c...d-evacuate-earth/at/starship-city-news-67073/

That propulsion system is called Orion and has been around for a long long time...since the late 1960s. But no, I have not seen this. :) I will watch it since you have embedded the entire thing.

OMNI

LOL! WHY was it shit, OMNI? You didnt understand the science behind it? Seriously dude...you have serious issues when it comes to being open to new ideas. If you dont like it, then anybody who does is a fuckwad and you hate them and they should be strung up on an electric fence then shot in a firing squad after death and the body dissolved in acid. :facepalm: :P

Having said that, I stand by my post that I feel that the Europa Report is true science fiction at its best and I recommend it to anyone who wants to check it out.
yeah! your point? :P

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
That propulsion system is called Orion and has been around for a long long time...since the late 1960s. But no, I have not seen this. :) I will watch it since you have embedded the entire thing.

I only copied and pasted the url as I always do with YT vids-It just happened that this is the entire film in one part. There are actually quite a few YT vids like that.

I am sure the move has "fuzzy" science and drawbacks,etc-but it is still better then most stuff on Syfy right now.

I knew about the Orion propulsion system-it is also one of the "off the shelf" candidates for Mars manned travel.

Personally ever since I heard of it, I think the "digital biology" way may be better for human exploring.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I only copied and pasted the url as I always do with YT vids-It just happened that this is the entire film in one part. There are actually quite a few YT vids like that.

I am sure the move has "fuzzy" science and drawbacks,etc-but it is still better then most stuff on Syfy right now.

I knew about the Orion propulsion system-it is also one of the "off the shelf" candidates for Mars manned travel.

Personally ever since I heard of it, I think the "digital biology" way may be better for human exploring.

Im going to watch it in a few minutes. :) But the Europa Report did pretty well at Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/europa_report/

For me, the science was very important. Like it used to be in Star Trek. They had everything right, from the hydrazine poisoning to the way things behaved in weightlessness, to the science of the mission itself, to the editing...it was pure science fiction! No added unnecessary interpersonal stuff beyond what we already see in ISS footage or what we saw in Apollo. Science and a story to play out...a mission to accomplish. I compare that to something like Mission to Mars with Gary Sinise and the Europa report seems more purist than that to me. No over-arching soundtrack...it was a slow burn thriller.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Im going to watch it in a few minutes. :) But the Europa Report did pretty well at Rotten Tomatoes.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/europa_report/

For me, the science was very important. Like it used to be in Star Trek. They had everything right, from the hydrazine poisoning to the way things behaved in weightlessness, to the science of the mission itself, to the editing...it was pure science fiction! No added unnecessary interpersonal stuff beyond what we already see in ISS footage or what we saw in Apollo. Science and a story to play out...a mission to accomplish. I compare that to something like Mission to Mars with Gary Sinise and the Europa report seems more purist than that to me. No over-arching soundtrack...it was a slow burn thriller.

I am sure that many things could go wrong depending on the science used for the movie. I mean, if they chose another type of propulsion system or ship used, that may have brought on a whole different set of issues. Though none of that would change the seeming idiocy of allowing someone to do a walk on the ice-or allowing a mission of such importance to devolve to a democracy.

But I agree, like I said it was a good film, well made no big time in your face SFX (I am getting rather tired of movies being made AS VEHICLES for the SFX rather then the effects being a part of the movie.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

They fixed it, sent back everything and also got the image of the creature at the end. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Some have been critical of it, like complaining about the movies choice of propulsion for the escape ship. it uses the idea of releasing and exploding hundreds or thousands of nuclear devices and riding the blast wave. I believe the ship as other less powerful propulsion systems as well. The point of the show was though "If we found this out today, how could we get a suitable enough number of people off of the planet if we know we have about 75 yrs to do it?"

I am downloading the HD version of this. The effects are AMAZING! But I dont want to watch it in standard format. I can stream in HD but I want to have this in my collection. I download my YouTube videos when I want to watch them offline. :) Ill make a new thread after watching it. :)

OMNI

anyway the reson it was bad was it looked cheap and was badly acted its a C grade movie at best as for being science fiction YES as for being good and quality no, imo the suspence didnt work and the final revelation was boring.

there is another of these lackluster "realistic" space movies that just came out aswell.

imo its slightly more watchable then europa report but still has that cheap lackluster un guided feel over it imo both these movies are the same kind of scif movies we saw in the early 00s examples being red planet and mission to mars tho both of those sure looked better visually and was better acted and directed compared to these.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
anyway the reson it was bad was it looked cheap and was badly acted its a C grade movie at best as for being science fiction YES as for being good and quality no, imo the suspence didnt work and the final revelation was boring.

there is another of these lackluster "realistic" space movies that just came out aswell.

imo its slightly more watchable then europa report but still has that cheap lackluster un guided feel over it imo both these movies are the same kind of scif movies we saw in the early 00s examples being red planet and mission to mars tho both of those sure looked better visually and was better acted and directed compared to these.

Okay, I can agree with this for the most part. It was badly acted, but that was why I liked it because the acting took a second place to the science which was what interested me the most. I already watch documentaries on space, and it is hard to connect what is in them to an axtual expidition like this movie did. I really HATED the Dinosaur drama made by Nat'l Grographic. They had the dinosaurs doing mating dances, they did the "dino parents rescuing their baby" thing, it was awful. Hated it because the science behind it was not sound. But this Europa Report, it was solid science. Wooden acting, yes. Boring in parts, yes. But good science fiction, also YES. :)

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
View attachment 28819

I loved this movie. It was part Space Docudrama, part science fiction, and thoroughly mind expanding. :) If you are looking for Star Wars or Star Trek, forget it. This is more like 2001 meets Andromeda Strain meets The Apollo Moon Landings. The premise is the first manned mission to Europa, Jupiter's ice moon which is thought to support a complex ocean environment conducive to life. The characters are the carefully selected scientists and engineers from the world's best space programs. They embark on Europa One on a 19 month journey which culminates with landing on the moon itself and drilling.

Didn't you dis this movie when the first trailers came out? :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the eye candy. I was thoroughly disappointed the eye candy was limited.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Didn't you dis this movie when the first trailers came out? :D

I thoroughly enjoyed the eye candy. I was thoroughly disappointed the eye candy was limited.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

No, I never even knew about it. My first time seeing it was this week.