The Ethics of using root access to gain control over your device (and your carrier charges)

Would you hack your phone or computer to get around a limitation placed on it after you bought it?

• I would most likely just pay the cost.

Votes: 2 50.0%
  • I would cut the services necessary to lower my monthly cost, and deal with reduced service.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I would remove the added software and use all the capabilities of my phonel.

Votes: 2 50.0%

• Total voters

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, I just had a very interesting experience. I have mixed feelings about it because I have effectively circumvented my carrier's wishes for me to pay for a service that my device supports natively. Let me explain.

My phone, a Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch SPH-D710 (Sprint).

317227-samsung-galaxy-s-ii-epic-4g-touch-sprint.jpg

Its a big, powerful, beautifully designed phone with a dual core processor capable of being used as a complete computer in itself (which I have modified it to do using Ubuntu). I love the Galaxy SIII even more because of its quad core processor. But that is a different subject. :) This is the deal...I wanted to use my beautiful Epic 4G Touch as a hotspot, and I added the service which was $29.95/month for unlimited data over the hotspot. I paid it religiously and used the hell out of it to the tune of 6-20GB/month depending on what I was doing. But then May of this year (for my account and all others who had my plan), Sprint put a cap on the hotspot data at 5GB/month, and an overage charge of $0.5/mb. :( For a reference, the average hi-res photo is about 35mb. This means that downloading a picture over the hotspot could cost $1.75 :icon_e_surprised: But the data on the PHONE itself is still unlimited.

WTF?

They still call this plan the "Unlimited Everything" plan, but ignoring the sleazy, misleading details is what led me to doing what I have done. More later in this post. Here is the ad they are using:

sptintunlimited.PNG

The plan looks great in that ad. In Southern CA, however, the base plan is $99.95, not $79. They even boast that they do not throttle the data, and they dont. But what they dont tell you is:

• When I signed up, the $79.95/mo applied, now the base cost is $99.95.
  • If you purchase a smartphone, then you will be paying $109.00/mo, which is because any smartphone will automatically add something called a "premium data plan" which is supposed to be for the 4G connectivity. You pay this even if you live in an area where 4G does not cover like where I live. I can get 4G most everywhere in the city, but at home its a no go. :(.
  • The hotspot capability added $29.95 to my bill, and when I signed up it was unlimited. Now it has a 5GB/mo cap. :(
  • The taxes and surcharges and phone insurance (wise for any phone like this or an iPhone which costs around $600.00 to replace) will bring the monthly charge to about $170/mo

So, my dilemma was...should I be trying to find ways to remove the forced escalation of my wireless carrier's charges by pulling sleazy moves of my own? I fought with this and thus the reason for this thread. My personal ethics wanted to comply with the escalating charges, but my sensibilities kicked in. Sprint used misleading tactics to get me into a CONTRACT lasting two years (with an early termination fee of $350.00), they changed the parameters of my plan so that it would cost me considerably more money, and they charge me for "premium" services I cannot access at home.

:eusa_snooty::confused0006:

I chose to fight back using fire with fire. About 6 hours ago, I canceled my hotspot feature from Sprint, thus reducing my rate by an extra $29.95/mo. But I am posting this message from my computer which is using the hotspot feature BUILT IN to the phone which is a basic function of the device which was never meant to be charged for by any carrier. The only thing allowing them to charge is the software they put on my phone in the form of a Sprint ICS ROM. But changing the ROM to a different generic ICS build allowed me to gain access to root (full base control). With root access, you can access all the features of your phone. I am not feeling guilty about this act of rebellion at all. Sprint is RIPPING ME OFF.

Imagine using your home computer connected to your wired internet. Lets say that Cable Monster Company, Inc. decides they will now cap your internet usage to 100GB/month, and the way they do it is to install software on your computer which turns off your BUILT IN network port (hey, it used to work!). Would your ethics allow you to accept this limit and the software, or would you look for a way to gain control of your computer back?

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Root your device and install a tether proxy.

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/02/pda...ing-use-but-verizon-users-may-be-out-of-luck/

There's no dilemma. You bought your device, you're not renting it nor are you licensing it. It's yours.

Carriers detecting tethering has nothing to do with software installed on your phone. The hotspot feature on your phone works in the same manner as your wifi router. What that means is they can see your HTTP headers being fed from your tethered device and they can effectively block any data not originating from your device. It's a very primitive method of detection and all too easy to defeat but the average user is completely clueless. By using a stealth proxy (a proxy that does not announce itself as a proxy), all data going out to the carrier appears as if it originates on your device, including data from all tethered devices. The downside is that your tethered device's browser will look like, from its identifying headers, that it's your phone's browser and it may mess with some sites, like trying to force-feed you the mobile version.

There is absolutely no method to detect if this data is coming from a tethered device, period. Some carriers will try to install software on your phone to detect if you're running some sort of proxy. However, if your device is rooted, they're shit out of luck.

Bluce Ree

If you're tethering successfully right now without any added proxy app, sooner or later Sprint will block the tethered data. They'll begin inspecting your packets when they see your data usage is unusually high for a non-tethered device. In your shoes, I'd install it sooner than later.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Root your device and install a tether proxy.

http://phandroid.com/2011/05/02/pda...ing-use-but-verizon-users-may-be-out-of-luck/

There's no dilemma. You bought your device, you're not renting it nor are you licensing it. It's yours.

Carriers detecting tethering has nothing to do with software installed on your phone. The hotspot feature on your phone works in the same manner as your wifi router. What that means is they can see your HTTP headers being fed from your tethered device and they can effectively block any data not originating from your device. It's a very primitive method of detection and all too easy to defeat but the average user is completely clueless. By using a stealth proxy (a proxy that does not announce itself as a proxy), all data going out to the carrier appears as if it originates on your device, including data from all tethered devices. The downside is that your tethered device's browser will look like, from its identifying headers, that it's your phone's browser and it may mess with some sites, like trying to force-feed you the mobile version.

There is absolutely no method to detect if this data is coming from a tethered device, period. Some carriers will try to install software on your phone to detect if you're running some sort of proxy. However, if your device is rooted, they're shit out of luck.

I just used Root Uninstall to get rid of the Sprint Hotspot software, and I replaced it with Wifi Tether for Root which is in the Google Play market. After AT&T was fined 1.25 million for blocking such apps on the Play market, no carriers are blocking them if your carrier uses Block C frequencies. But It works flawlessly, even giving me a data usage meter, WEP/WPA security, MAC access control, and even looks prettier. :)

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

tether_1024.jpg

I could have done this long ago, as I had done it for my previous Epic4G before Sprint started offering hotspot. I decided to pay, and spoke about it here on the forums. But now I am hearing the cackling of marketing meetings at Sprint thinking "HEY! Most users are using their hotspots because they bought wireless-only iPads or tablets, and we can make lots of money on them AFTER WE SIGN THEM UP without telling them in advance". Funny, but Virgin wireless is scooping up non-contracted users by offering unlimited hotspot.

It's a very primitive method of detection and all too easy to defeat but the average user is completely clueless. By using a stealth proxy (a proxy that does not announce itself as a proxy), all data going out to the carrier appears as if it originates on your device, including data from all tethered devices.

Yep. And by removing the Sprint proxy settings as explained here: http://epic4gtouchroot.com/epic-4g-...g-touch-using-msl-and-bypassing-sprint-proxy/ , they cannot even track headers or anywhere I surf. Its not their effing business! It would be like my water company wanting to know whether I was using my water to shower, or to make ice or to water my lawn. NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

The car business tried this shit with "governors" to make cars like the older Camaros have a lower top speed of the same year Corvette which had the SAME ENGINE (only because they wanted $15,000 more for the Vette). They dont do that anymore. late 1990s Camaro owners began removing the governors and they were getting the same or better performance from them as a Vette. So, GM killed the Camaro and kept the Vette (only to bring it back recently).

The telecom companies are all about soaking up dollars. The cable companies are in a panic, and for good reason. The wired cable offerings and the bloated, overpriced services are becoming less and less attractive. The wireless services think they are going to get a monopoly on the refugees, but they forgot about the open source nature of Android. Unless they start creating proprietary versions of software, they will NEVER be able to fully wall in the Android garden, and that is great news for us geeks.

:icon_cool:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hotspot still working perfectly. :) Its actually faster than before, and the interface is much easier to work with. Another great way to eliminate overages for anyone not wanting to root their Android phone is to install Ubuntu on it and connect it via HDMI to your monitor. You can easily pair a bluetooth mouse and keyboard to your phone and use it as a full fledged computer with a complete Ubuntu 12.04 desktop complete with internet and the Synaptic software installer you can use to install the software. You can use Open Office which comes already installed.

Bluce Ree

I just used Root Uninstall to get rid of the Sprint Hotspot software, and I replaced it with Wifi Tether for Root which is in the Google Play market. After AT&T was fined 1.25 million for blocking such apps on the Play market, no carriers are blocking them if your carrier uses Block C frequencies. But It works flawlessly, even giving me a data usage meter, WEP/WPA security, MAC access control, and even looks prettier. :)

http://code.google.com/p/android-wifi-tether/

View attachment 7505

I could have done this long ago, as I had done it for my previous Epic4G before Sprint started offering hotspot. I decided to pay, and spoke about it here on the forums. But now I am hearing the cackling of marketing meetings at Sprint thinking "HEY! Most users are using their hotspots because they bought wireless-only iPads or tablets, and we can make lots of money on them AFTER WE SIGN THEM UP without telling them in advance". Funny, but Virgin wireless is scooping up non-contracted users by offering unlimited hotspot.

Yep. And by removing the Sprint proxy settings as explained here: http://epic4gtouchroot.com/epic-4g-...g-touch-using-msl-and-bypassing-sprint-proxy/ , they cannot even track headers or anywhere I surf. Its not their effing business! It would be like my water company wanting to know whether I was using my water to shower, or to make ice or to water my lawn. NONE OF THEIR BUSINESS.

The car business tried this shit with "governors" to make cars like the older Camaros have a lower top speed of the same year Corvette which had the SAME ENGINE (only because they wanted $15,000 more for the Vette). They dont do that anymore. late 1990s Camaro owners began removing the governors and they were getting the same or better performance from them as a Vette. So, GM killed the Camaro and kept the Vette (only to bring it back recently).

The telecom companies are all about soaking up dollars. The cable companies are in a panic, and for good reason. The wired cable offerings and the bloated, overpriced services are becoming less and less attractive. The wireless services think they are going to get a monopoly on the refugees, but they forgot about the open source nature of Android. Unless they start creating proprietary versions of software, they will NEVER be able to fully wall in the Android garden, and that is great news for us geeks.

:icon_cool:

Nice! I'm going to check out that piece of software. Would you mind performing a simple test? Can you tether your PC or Laptop and browse here;

http://detectmybrowser.com/

I'd be interested to see what info gets through.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Fight the power!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nice! I'm going to check out that piece of software. Would you mind performing a simple test? Can you tether your PC or Laptop and browse here;

http://detectmybrowser.com/

I'd be interested to see what info gets through.

This is the page that I got with my computer tethered to the phone through this app.

Capture.jpg

Bluce Ree

This is the page that I got with my computer tethered to the phone through this app.

View attachment 7506

Your browser and OS are flying through the tether. Unless Sprint's detection capabilities are from 1994, they'll likely catch it soon and block your tethered requests. Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile do it as well as all the Canadian carriers. Your only option when that happens will be a full on proxy.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Your browser and OS are flying through the tether. Unless Sprint's detection capabilities are from 1994, they'll likely catch it soon and block your tethered requests. Verizon, AT&T and T-Mobile do it as well as all the Canadian carriers. Your only option when that happens will be a full on proxy.

The users of this app (which is on the Play store, btw) say they have had no problems with it at all, not from Sprint or from their devices. If Sprint has objections, they must notify users before doing anything else. I had hotspot on my Sprint phone before this one, and they were not even offering hotspot at the time. :). For now, I am not concerned with it. Also, I have both Chrome, and Firefox loaded in my Ubuntu install on the phone, so they still cant detect any of this. Their proxies are not being used.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Okay, I will come to this link from Ubuntu on the phone and see what happens. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Don't really have a good way to save web pages in the phone, but I got this:

2Capture.PNG

Bluce Ree

The users of this app (which is on the Play store, btw) say they have had no problems with it at all, not from Sprint or from their devices. If Sprint has objections, they must notify users before doing anything else. I had hotspot on my Sprint phone before this one, and they were not even offering hotspot at the time. :). For now, I am not concerned with it. Also, I have both Chrome, and Firefox loaded in my Ubuntu install on the phone, so they still cant detect any of this. Their proxies are not being used.

They don't warn anyone. When they see excessive data usage and you're not paying for tethering, they'll monitor your activity and most likely block any requests the phone is tethering. Nothing is blocked by any app on your phone when this is done. The network simply rejects requests based on headers. The reason they don't have this type of blocking on for everyone full time is likely due to the amount of resources it would take for such a thing. So, they seem to only target heavy users who are not paying for tethering.

This is what all the carriers I mentioned do and I've experienced it. I can't speak for Sprint, though, but I wouldn't put it past them, either.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Why is it that I have to enter a zip code to learn about thier plans?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
They don't warn anyone. When they see excessive data usage and you're not paying for tethering, they'll monitor your activity and most likely block any requests the phone is tethering. Nothing is blocked by any app on your phone when this is done. The network simply rejects requests based on headers. The reason they don't have this type of blocking on for everyone full time is likely due to the amount of resources it would take for such a thing. So, they seem to only target heavy users who are not paying for tethering.

This is what all the carriers I mentioned do and I've experienced it. I can't speak for Sprint, though, but I wouldn't put it past them, either.

Sprint has not been enforcing any tethering usages...yet. Now that they are offering not one but two new hotspot plans, they may very well try something but they better be careful. Bolded in your message is almost illegal in California. :)

Expressed more eloquently in the Sprint forums last year when the first caps were being put on certain plans...

3Capture.PNG

UNLIMITED DATA. That is what I signed up for. Hotspot data, bluetooth data, all of it is data. When I signed up for this, EVERYTHING was truly unlimited. The only enforceable limits would be attached to the use of the Sprint software used to tether, not anything else. I own my phone, not lease it. The device has a built in router and I am entitled to use it. I am paying for my plan which includes everything unlimited coming to and from my phone. The carrier's freedom stops at my phone receiver.

Should electric companies be able to tell you that electricity to run your refrigerator and heater is unlimited, but there is a limit on electricity going to a TV, computer, game console or tanning bed? If you are paying something called an "Electric Bill", where does the power company's freedom end? I say at the terminus where power comes into the building.

Geeks who root and move around in the back rooms of Android are like 1%-2% of all Android users. This activity is PERFECTLY LEGAL and part of the Open Source licensing of Android. Monitoring and disabling falls outside of that licensing on occasion, and the FCC has responded in favor of users.

Bluce Ree

Sprint has not been enforcing any tethering usages...yet. Now that they are offering not one but two new hotspot plans, they may very well try something but they better be careful. Bolded in your message is almost illegal in California. :)

Expressed more eloquently in the Sprint forums last year when the first caps were being put on certain plans...

View attachment 7508

UNLIMITED DATA. That is what I signed up for. Hotspot data, bluetooth data, all of it is data. When I signed up for this, EVERYTHING was truly unlimited. The only enforceable limits would be attached to the use of the Sprint software used to tether, not anything else. I own my phone, not lease it. The device has a built in router and I am entitled to use it. I am paying for my plan which includes everything unlimited coming to and from my phone. The carrier's freedom stops at my phone receiver.

Should electric companies be able to tell you that electricity to run your refrigerator and heater is unlimited, but there is a limit on electricity going to a TV, computer, game console or tanning bed? If you are paying something called an "Electric Bill", where does the power company's freedom end? I say at the terminus where power comes into the building.

Geeks who root and move around in the back rooms of Android are like 1%-2% of all Android users. This activity is PERFECTLY LEGAL and part of the Open Source licensing of Android. Monitoring and disabling falls outside of that licensing on occasion, and the FCC has responded in favor of users.

There's no doubt as to the legality of capping when the word "UNLIMITED" is used. The other carriers actually spell out an exception to tethering whereas, from what you're saying, Sprint does not. So, it's a matter of how far you're willing to go when they start throttling or jamming your tethered data. Will you waste your time in small claims court to have the enforced or just work around it in a manner they can't detect and is still 100% legal and does not contradict any terms of your agreement?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There's no doubt as to the legality of capping when the word "UNLIMITED" is used. The other carriers actually spell out an exception to tethering whereas, from what you're saying, Sprint does not. So, it's a matter of how far you're willing to go when they start throttling or jamming your tethered data. Will you waste your time in small claims court to have the enforced or just work around it in a manner they can't detect and is still 100% legal and does not contradict any terms of your agreement?

Sprint has only two options. If they change my plan significantly (requiring my approval), or they consider my usage unacceptable (and unenforceable), they will release me without having to pay the $350.00 ETF, which would still suit me fine. I can easily activate my phone on another carrier. :) I own it. But from what I am reading everywhere there is Sprint, they are not enforcing any tethering restrictions using OTHER apps. Unless you are rooted, you cannot use the good ones. Rooting your phone voids your service contract if you present your phone for service while rooted. But a decent android geek can go the entire lifecycle of a phone without ever needing to have it serviced.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Certain rules and exceptions may differ from state to state depending on state laws.

Dispite that being slightly stupid, I can't even read T&C's, so how can I judge it's "ethicality"?
If OM missed some fine print, then it is not sprints issue "legally", If they did not cover it in thier T&C's, then you have every right to screw them legally.
Denying someone the ability to check on T&C's, (even JUST a broad overview) is just silly.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Be careful Overmind - your phone may not be that easy to activate on another carrier. That phone is CDMA and uses WiMAX for its network access. Aside from Sprint the only other national carrier using CDMA is Verizon, and they have no WiMAX - they use LTE. There are a bunch of smaller CDMA carriers like US Cellular but again you'll run into trouble with your WiMAX network connection - basically nobody new is adopting WiMAX and even Sprint will be dropping it over time for LTE.