The design of the new USS Enterprise in JJ Abrams Star Trek needs to be changed quickly.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
What a ridiculous comment. So basically the Enterprise should look exactly like it did in the original series. Thank god it doesn't! That design was butt-ugly. But that was only about a half a century ago so I guess the changes shouldn't have been quite so noticeable. :facepalm:

No, it doesnt have to look like the Enterprise of the original series. But it DOES need to be a logical design, and the new one is not logical. Why would there need to be a row of curved lights on the outside of the nacelles? Why would the main fuselage have the odd "pinched" rear shape, and why would the shuttle bay doors open like they do on the new ship? Its illogical. Curved nacelle pylons? LOL!. Starfleet, first and foremost, is a MILITARY organization. The new Enterprise looks like a blinged out caricature of the original. Science fashion.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I am honored by this reference. It seems the thread has become a sort of standard plug-in whenever a discussion on "alternate dietary options" is called for....:biggrin:

Yes, it cracks me up every time I read it! A classic. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
No, it doesnt have to look like the Enterprise of the original series. But it DOES need to be a logical design, and the new one is not logical. Why would there need to be a row of curved lights on the outside of the nacelles? Why would the main fuselage have the odd "pinched" rear shape, and why would the shuttle bay doors open like they do on the new ship? Its illogical. Curved nacelle pylons? LOL!. Starfleet, first and foremost, is a MILITARY organization. The new Enterprise looks like a blinged out caricature of the original. Science fashion.

I have to admit that to me they got so much right in the 09 film that things like the ship being a touch "hot roddy" don't bother me that much. Had it been up to me I would have used the ST:TMP Enterprise as the template.