The Boomer Thread - Do you remember?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Anybody remember "Click Clacks"? ("Kerbangers" "Clackers", etc.) My brother had a pair before they were banned and my dad took them away. Good thing too because they were made out of glass (or glass-like acrylic) and were prone to shattering -- as glass balls being slammed together would be expected to do, go figure. I guess some kids actually got injured hence the ban. They were around in the early late 60's I believe. Not sure of the exact year.

il_570xN.482321555_14ni.jpg

Dude, we were still playing with those things in elementary school in 1972! Yes, they were banned, but only after countless windows smashed, facial bones breaking, concussions, etc. Clack clack clack (double clack double clack!) I remember them being acrylic. :) Mine were green.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Dude, we were still playing with those things in elementary school in 1972! Yes, they were banned, but only after countless windows smashed, facial bones breaking, concussions, etc. Clack clack clack (double clack double clack!) I remember them being acrylic. :) Mine were green.

It makes you wonder who thought it would be a good idea to market what was essentially a weapon to children.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
It makes you wonder who thought it would be a good idea to market what was essentially a weapon to children.

You are still wondering? :) Those children are the gun nuts and mental defectives of today! When we were kids, it was nothing out of the ordinary to take about 5 firecrackers and put them inside of a potato and explode it. Or, dig a foxhole for G.I. Joe and light a cherry bomb in the trench. When the dirt and GI Joe came flying out of the trench, you had to make the customary "ahhhhhhhh!" as he tumbled, singed, through the air. :facepalm: But the reward later was those horrid cakes my sister "baked" in her Easy Bake Oven!

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
You are still wondering? :) Those children are the gun nuts and mental defectives of today! When we were kids, it was nothing out of the ordinary to take about 5 firecrackers and put them inside of a potato and explode it. Or, dig a foxhole for G.I. Joe and light a cherry bomb in the trench. When the dirt and GI Joe came flying out of the trench, you had to make the customary "ahhhhhhhh!" as he tumbled, singed, through the air. :facepalm: But the reward later was those horrid cakes my sister "baked" in her Easy Bake Oven!

OMG, the Kenner Easy Bake oven is perhaps the greatest invention ever! I mean, to think, you can actually cook with a light bulb -- and cake no less!!! Edison was a piker in comparison to the person who invented the Easy Bake oven. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Anybody remember "Click Clacks"? ("Kerbangers" "Clackers", etc.) My brother had a pair before they were banned and my dad took them away. Good thing too because they were made out of glass (or glass-like acrylic) and were prone to shattering -- as glass balls being slammed together would be expected to do, go figure. I guess some kids actually got injured hence the ban. They were around in the early late 60's I believe. Not sure of the exact year.

il_570xN.482321555_14ni.jpg
Sorry dude, but that looks like some kind of sex toy................

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Sorry dude, but that looks like some kind of sex toy................

Funny, I never would have made that connection. Must be an Aussie thing. :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Funny, I never would have made that connection. Must be an Aussie thing. :P

Perhaps he does not know those balls are about 2" in diameter each? Maybe he was thinking Ben Wa Balls?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Perhaps he does not know those balls are about 2" in diameter each? Maybe he was thinking Ben Wa Balls?

Possibly, yes. But then the question would be do they have Ben Wa Balls in Australia, and if so, are they the right size to fit into a sheep's ass?

Last edited:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
my easy bake oven began my lifelong love of cooking. MY daughter still has the one she got at age 6 or so. I even have a recipe book that makes the mixes for cookies and cakes & fudge. :)

Now they are obsolete- the curly-fries light bulbs don't generate enough heat to work - and besides who would want to use a bulb loaded with mercury to cook anything - what if it broke? have to throw the easy bake away!

I do not consider myself a boomer but a member of the boom-let those of us born in 1960 to 1964.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Drive-Ins. They are gone forever, but I do not miss them because we have movies on demand in our pockets now. The Drive-In was the cheapest movie ticket you could get. The first "piraters" were people who would come to the Drive-In inside the trunk so they would not have to pay a ticket, then they could safely get out after entering the theater. The snack bar in the middle of the Drive-In had better (and much much cheaper) food and drinks and candy, and clean restooms.

drivein.jpg

There are still dozens of them operating in the South and in some suburban areas, but they are a boutique industry, catering to nostalgia and the outing is usually just a backdrop for more romantic endeavors. :) I fondly remember going to the drive in with my parents, with that clinky speaker you had to hang on the window:

drive-in-theatre-speaker-car.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Fantastic Voyage:

This movie still holds up today, and is PURE science fiction. Worth a watch if you get the time. :) Actual scientific organizations are given credits in this movie for their contributions and guidance, as well as the military.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
Drive-Ins. They are gone forever, but I do not miss them because we have movies on demand in our pockets now. The Drive-In was the cheapest movie ticket you could get. The first "piraters" were people who would come to the Drive-In inside the trunk so they would not have to pay a ticket, then they could safely get out after entering the theater. The snack bar in the middle of the Drive-In had better (and much much cheaper) food and drinks and candy, and clean restooms.

View attachment 31524

There are still dozens of them operating in the South and in some suburban areas, but they are a boutique industry, catering to nostalgia and the outing is usually just a backdrop for more romantic endeavors. :) I fondly remember going to the drive in with my parents, with that clinky speaker you had to hang on the window:

View attachment 31525

not just the south - the upper midwest has it's share for nostalgia's sake.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I just ate a "bag" of Cracker Jack. Wow, what a pathetic long tumble it has made from it's original! This is what Cracker Jack used to be:

Crackerjack2.jpg

It was a cardboard BOX, and it had at least 1/4 of the volume in sugar coated peanuts and thickly coated candied popcorn. Inside was a toy, and I mean a real toy. This photo shows actual toys from the original Cracker Jack:

crackerjack.png

Now, you get lame stickers, or something printed on sticky paper, inside a flimsy packet. I actually counted exactly 8 candied peanuts in the whole bag.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
not just the south - the upper midwest has it's share for nostalgia's sake.

We have them in California, in some suburbs.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Late 1970s, when most of us Boomer/Boomlets started driving:

late70sgas.jpg

Full Service in the 1970s meant that somebody was pumping your gas for you, wiping your windows and checking your tire pressure. Today, just LOL.

My first car...a used 1974 Opel Manta (Luxus trim level). This is the exact color and model, but not my actual car. I got it in 1977.

my_first_car.jpg

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
So, it's 59.9 cents a gallon then?
Ok, that makes CENTS then.

Decimal system people, it's useful :D