The Boomer Thread - Do you remember?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
There are many Baby Boomers here. Just about most of us, huh? Well, I got to thinking about my childhood and younger years, and it is amazing to remember the shows I absolutely HAD to watch or I would be grumpy that day. They were the shows which got taken away if put on punishment.

Feel free to add yours as you remember.

Gigantor!

H. R. Pufinstuf

Gilligans Island

The Time Tunnel

Land of the Giants

Lost In Space

Man From Uncle

So many more! Add your own...:)

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
"H.R. Pufnstuf, who's your friend when things get rough." ;)

To be honest I found H.R. Puffinstuf to be just so incredibly weird when I was a kid. It was like watching a half-hour acid trip. Jimmy had a talking flute that Witchiepoo was always trying to get her hands on. It was bizarre to say the least.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
"H.R. Pufnstuf, who's your friend when things get rough." ;)

To be honest I found H.R. Puffinstuf to be just so incredibly weird when I was a kid. It was like watching a half-hour acid trip. Jimmy had a talking flute that Witchiepoo was always trying to get her hands on. It was bizarre to say the least.

For me, the creepiest was Sigmund and the Sea Monsters:

It was like a mash of Archie Bunker, The Moonlighters, and an LSD inspired puppet show. The humor was twisted and political...weird.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
For me, the creepiest was Sigmund and the Sea Monsters:

It was like a mash of Archie Bunker, The Moonlighters, and an LSD inspired puppet show. The humor was twisted and political...weird.

The Sid and Marty Kroft shows were very bizarre. This isn't surprising coming out of the 60's drug culture, but for kids that doesn't make it any less weird.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
My fondest TV memories are Twilight Zone and Outer Limits, both of which I watched in their original broadcasts. Most of the other shows I may have liked at the time, but don't have a high opinion of now. When you only had three stations to choose from you had to take what you could get. Both Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea started out decently, but quickly devolved into childish antics and nonsensical monsters respectively. I don't think I ever watched Land of the Giants during its original run, and very little of it later. I do recall liking The Invaders at the time, but haven't seen it since so I have no idea how I would think of it now.

I'm old enough, and had been reading SF seriously, that by the time Star Trek came around most everything else paled in comparison. That includes several that others might still hold in high regard, such as Space 1999 and original Galactica, both of which I dropped early in their runs.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My fondest TV memories are Twilight Zone and Outer Limits, both of which I watched in their original broadcasts. Most of the other shows I may have liked at the time, but don't have a high opinion of now. When you only had three stations to choose from you had to take what you could get. Both Lost in Space and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea started out decently, but quickly devolved into childish antics and nonsensical monsters respectively. I don't think I ever watched Land of the Giants during its original run, and very little of it later. I do recall liking The Invaders at the time, but haven't seen it since so I have no idea how I would think of it now.

I'm old enough, and had been reading SF seriously, that by the time Star Trek came around most everything else paled in comparison. That includes several that others might still hold in high regard, such as Space 1999 and original Galactica, both of which I dropped early in their runs.

I was also watching the original Outer Limits and Twilight Zone when it was being broadcast (black and white!). The Invaders was one of my favorites and I have mentioned it here before and nobody could remember it! I have the entire series in my collection. I purposely did not include Star Trek, which I also watched when it was a new show (because the topic is not just about Trek). I should mention My Favorite Martian too, with Bill Bixby. :). Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea was a favorite, and I even had the plastic Seaview sub with the magic pill you put in it to make it submerge and rise in a pool. I thought the Flying Sub was going to be actually developed!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
The Green Hornet with Bruce Lee as Kato. I remember when The Green Hornet and Batman and Robin actually worked together. :) The Green Hornet was an obvious knockoff of Batman, but was much cooler to me. They had a more heavily armed Hornet Car called The Black Beauty. It was cooler and more elegant to me than the Batmobile. The machine guns and missile banks you see in the bumper all tucked away behind motorized doors. And there were more motorized goodies in the trunk. :)

black beauty.jpg

Last edited:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
The Green Hornet with Bruce Lee as Kato. I remember when The Green Hornet and Batman and Robin actually worked together. :) The Green Hornet was an obvious knockoff of Batman, but was much cooler to me. They had a more heavily armed Hornet Car called The Black Beauty. It was cooler and more elegant to me than the Batmobile. The machine guns and missile banks you see in the bumper all tucked away behind motorized doors. And there were more motorized goodies in the trunk. :)

View attachment 31470

My older brother took karate lessons because he wanted to be like Kato. In fact most of his friends did too. GH was ok but Kato was the shiz. :encouragement:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My older brother took karate lessons because he wanted to be like Kato. In fact most of his friends did too. GH was ok but Kato was the shiz. :encouragement:

Bruce Lee was the reason to watch the Green Hornet. :) The Green Hornet is what paved the way for Bruce Lee to almost single-handedly start the America Kung Fu movie craze (another Boomer phenomena).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
These need no captions....

Last edited:

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
There are many Baby Boomers here. Just about most of us, huh? Well, I got to thinking about my childhood and younger years, and it is amazing to remember the shows I absolutely HAD to watch or I would be grumpy that day. They were the shows which got taken away if put on punishment.

Feel free to add yours as you remember.

Gigantor!

H. R. Pufinstuf

Gilligans Island

The Time Tunnel

Land of the Giants

Lost In Space

Man From Uncle

So many more! Add your own...:)

I used to love Time Tunnel and Land of the Giants. Too bad they never concluded either. :(

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Damn! They actually DID remake it. Here's the unaired 2002 pilot:

I knew NOTHING about this! But this pilot sucks. :( The music is all wrong, the people going through the tunnel are too young, too inexperienced. They focused on the team instead of on the mission (which is how both SG-1 and the original Time Tunnel did it). When they anchor the stories on individuals, any show will suffer...especially if you do not like the persons they anchored the story on. Too bad...it had the look. But what sank this was the mood and the music.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
LOL

thinks_01.jpg

cig.jpg

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
And people just don't realize where all the gun nuts came from...

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
I knew NOTHING about this! But this pilot sucks. :( The music is all wrong, the people going through the tunnel are too young, too inexperienced. They focused on the team instead of on the mission (which is how both SG-1 and the original Time Tunnel did it). When they anchor the stories on individuals, any show will suffer...especially if you do not like the persons they anchored the story on. Too bad...it had the look. But what sank this was the mood and the music.

Did you notice that Tony Newman, in the great tradition of early 2000 scifi reboots (looking at you, nuBSG), had a spontaneous sex change?

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan
Having a ten spot lead in age I thought I could come up with some really obscure TV shows like "Honey West" and "T.H.E. Cat". My Friendly Martian, duh! The great Ray Walston, how could anyone forget him?

I seem to remember having a camouflage version of the Mattel sub machine gun, not to mention the rifle from "The Rifleman".

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Anybody remember "Click Clacks"? ("Kerbangers" "Clackers", etc.) My brother had a pair before they were banned and my dad took them away. Good thing too because they were made out of glass (or glass-like acrylic) and were prone to shattering -- as glass balls being slammed together would be expected to do, go figure. I guess some kids actually got injured hence the ban. They were around in the late 60's I believe. Not sure of the exact year.

il_570xN.482321555_14ni.jpg

Last edited: