The best sci fi romp I've read in ages.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
OK for those of you who don't know I am a rabid sci-fi book-junkie. I read Heinlein, Asimov and David Weber. But I just finished reading a book by Darrel Bain. I know I mentioned him when I read "Starship Down." His E-books are great reads and with Kindle I get to read them whenever I want.
However I just finished "Galactic Frontiers." It starts off a little slow but once you get through the first tenth of the book it takes off. Far into the future the UN has turned evil and is chasing colonists into the starry beyond. Spaceship battles occur in space and in the atmospheres of planets but complex science terminology is kept to a minimum.
The hero is likeable and the story is solid with a few surprises along the way.
I give this book a solid 9 out of 10. The story was solid, the conflicts were many and the solutions were humorous if not totally unpredictable.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
7.5 out of 10.

I recently finished, "The Lost Fleet" series written by Jack Campbell. Jack Campbell isn't actually his name but that is the alias used when he writes science fiction. I invested the time and money into the books but midway through it kinda drags. All five books are based off of an interesting premise but completely predictable. It is worth reading them but don't kick yourself if you find your mind begin to skim a chapter here and there.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
Two more cents

Exploration is one of the many wonderful aspects of Science fiction. Today we're still more focused on studying our tiny planet than the vastness of space. Granted it is the easiest place to explore because we're already here. But that is like humanity discovering the uses for fire and then promptly dousing the flames and deciding that living in the cold is best. We don’t know what it is like on Venus. We have taken measurements and even have sent probes but a few minutes of footage is nothing. Sure it is a harsh environment, so is Antarctica, it doesn’t mean we aren’t studying it.
This was my initial attraction to SG-1. Every week we could step through the gate and discover a whole new world. Discovery lies at the very core of human potential. We watched as Sam discovered how to make our very own naquada generator. We all got to know the many types of people living in space. And the lure of exploration was intricate to the plot. Hell even SG-1 had a probe that went with them everywhere they went. Probes are great tools! But using only one tool in your toolbox to fix an engine problem is ludicrous if you have an assortment of tools that help you achieve the job in less time. Are probes great for exploring Mars? YES. Are they the only tool we should be using? I think you know the answer. It was the SG team that made the discoveries not the MALP.
Where am I going with this? You have every right to ask.
I read a trilogy of books by Ben Bova that hooked me and turned me into a space enthusiast. Rock Rats, The Silent War and The Precipice hooked me on the possibilities of space and the many wonders it had to offer. Soon after I read these books I had a class in astronomy which only furthered my interests in space. Combine these experiences with the sci fi that you all know I watch, and you get a person that would be willing to risk the trip to mars for the opportunity to try to live on Mars. If offered tomorrow I would immediately jump at the opportunity.
Here on earth it isn’t the supercomputers and the robots that are making groundbreaking discoveries. It is the hard work and long nights of the scientists, engineers and researchers that are working at keeping us in the technology race that ultimately betters all our lives. I want to live sci fi in the real world. I want space rockets that can carry us to mars several years ago not still waiting for them eighty years down the road.
Even though I didn’t watch it when it was on I believe that Defying Gravity is something I should invest my money in just to say, “I spent money on a show that inadvertently supports the ideas of space exploration.”
If any of you haven’t read, “The Asteroid Wars” trilogy I recommend them as well. We need to return to an age where we actually do great things with the knowledge we acquire. We need to go to Mars, we need to exploit space to get there, we need to mine hydrogen from Jupiter to combine it with oxygen that is extracted from CO2 to make water on Mars, we need to put boots on Venus and Mars and in two or three generations have these planets terraformed. As a species we will die out if we stagnate. As a people we deserve to die out if we deny the adventure that lies before us if we would but reach out and grasp it with all the might that we possess.
May the sci fi genre at some point in your lives inspire you to do great things.

R

Robbie_Rocket_Pants

Exploration is one of the many wonderful aspects of Science fiction. Today we're still more focused on studying our tiny planet than the vastness of space. Granted it is the easiest place to explore because we're already here. But that is like humanity discovering the uses for fire and then promptly dousing the flames and deciding that living in the cold is best. We don’t know what it is like on Venus. We have taken measurements and even have sent probes but a few minutes of footage is nothing. Sure it is a harsh environment, so is Antarctica, it doesn’t mean we aren’t studying it.
This was my initial attraction to SG-1. Every week we could step through the gate and discover a whole new world. Discovery lies at the very core of human potential. We watched as Sam discovered how to make our very own naquada generator. We all got to know the many types of people living in space. And the lure of exploration was intricate to the plot. Hell even SG-1 had a probe that went with them everywhere they went. Probes are great tools! But using only one tool in your toolbox to fix an engine problem is ludicrous if you have an assortment of tools that help you achieve the job in less time. Are probes great for exploring Mars? YES. Are they the only tool we should be using? I think you know the answer. It was the SG team that made the discoveries not the MALP.
Where am I going with this? You have every right to ask.
I read a trilogy of books by Ben Bova that hooked me and turned me into a space enthusiast. Rock Rats, The Silent War and The Precipice hooked me on the possibilities of space and the many wonders it had to offer. Soon after I read these books I had a class in astronomy which only furthered my interests in space. Combine these experiences with the sci fi that you all know I watch, and you get a person that would be willing to risk the trip to mars for the opportunity to try to live on Mars. If offered tomorrow I would immediately jump at the opportunity.
Here on earth it isn’t the supercomputers and the robots that are making groundbreaking discoveries. It is the hard work and long nights of the scientists, engineers and researchers that are working at keeping us in the technology race that ultimately betters all our lives. I want to live sci fi in the real world. I want space rockets that can carry us to mars several years ago not still waiting for them eighty years down the road.
Even though I didn’t watch it when it was on I believe that Defying Gravity is something I should invest my money in just to say, “I spent money on a show that inadvertently supports the ideas of space exploration.”
If any of you haven’t read, “The Asteroid Wars” trilogy I recommend them as well. We need to return to an age where we actually do great things with the knowledge we acquire. We need to go to Mars, we need to exploit space to get there, we need to mine hydrogen from Jupiter to combine it with oxygen that is extracted from CO2 to make water on Mars, we need to put boots on Venus and Mars and in two or three generations have these planets terraformed. As a species we will die out if we stagnate. As a people we deserve to die out if we deny the adventure that lies before us if we would but reach out and grasp it with all the might that we possess.
May the sci fi genre at some point in your lives inspire you to do great things.

Sorry to burst your bubble mate but the air pressure on Venus is such that it would crush you or I in a second. The temperature would melt even the most temperature resistent suit, the air is mostly CO2 & the rain is sulfuric acid - not going to be terraformed any time soon. As for Mars, are you talking about a colony with a view to having domed cities or to terraform the atmosphere aswell as water? It's just that to have a breathable atmosphere it would need to be much denser, would have to be composed primarily of an inert buffer gas such as Nitrogen or Argon which would have to be mined from elsewhere (an expensive, long term & impractible method). Also any atmosphere which might be engineered & thickened up over time would be thinned out by the solar winds as the ionosphere there has no protection from solar winds by means of an EM field (the process has been going on since the collapse of Mars' EMF billions of years ago). Sorry to sound pedantic & jump on that post but, although terraforming/space exploration are things I daydream about all the time, it's doubtful they will ever happen in our solar system.

Spacejunkminer

GateFans Noob
First off Robie I didn't expect anyone to respond but I am very glad you did. I know about the pressure but on venus they have a runaway greenhouse effect. But if a solarshade were deployed around the planet to stop most or all light for a while I believe the temperatures would begin to freeze the CO2 into some sort of ice. We could also live below the surface working to make the atmosphere habitable. I know this is three or four generations away but we need to start working on these problems now.

I have consulted with many people about the pressure on Mars. My solution would be to begin dragging small asteroids from the belt. This is another solution that would take several generations. Increasing the pressure on mars must begin with increasing the gravity. Perhaps with nuclear explosions deep beneath the crust of Mars we could begin to restart the core. With more pressur from the weight of more mass this effect could be a domino effect. We would need to fundamentally change Mars. But in order to do that we must first get there. Once the gravity is up to par we can then start importing the gasses we would need.

I agree that these are problems but if we don't try, nothing will get done. Optimistic? yea, I know.