Tesla/Space x

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Still cheaper than nasa as they cost 7 billion or more to do the same launch with a similar rocket setup .
;)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Elon Musk is my hero. :) I truly admire him.

I watched the take-off live on Ali Velshi/ MSNBC. It was loud on the TV. It would of been teeth rattling loud in person I suspect.

Just 90 millions for Musk as a cost - I believe that one. As long as someone else threw in another 1/4 of a billion or more.

Still cheaper than nasa as they cost 7 billion or more to do the same launch with a similar rocket setup .
;)

Yup and that's what so great about Space X. It's a friggin miracle that they managed to get the cost down by that much. Look how much cheaper it is that it's putting more pressure on the ESA to perform.

https://arstechnica.com/science/201...ould-buy-86-falcon-heavy-launches/?comments=1

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Time to start a Nasa Sucks thread

:smiley-laughing021:
:icon_lol:
:saturn:

I hate that I hate NASA! But I definitely do. All those billions of dollars wasted on them could have had us camped out on Mars by now. When we get there, NASA will not have been the ones who did it.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I hate that I hate NASA! But I definitely do. All those billions of dollars wasted on them could have had us camped out on Mars by now. When we get there, NASA will not have been the ones who did it.
You are very quick to judge. Do you know why NASA was built in the first place? It was because they were in direct competition with Russia which had just launched a few probes in space and the first ever satellite in space. It was also during the time when there was the cold war that had just started. At the time there was huge business and government interest to be the first in space hence the space race. Nasa also had access to an unlimited budget. They could afford to fail but after NASA went insane with how much money were spending, a cap started coming and therefore they lost the space race.

They are slow but they have done a lot for humanity you can't deny that...I was also wondering when they were flying stuff into space why they couldn't just re-use the booster rockets that fell from the sky?They were slow because they didn't have competition and there was not a lot of business interest in space travel which is why it died out after the cold war. Rest of what you saw from NASA was simply curiosity

Right now, there is both public/government and commercial interest in space travel. People have money, the power and the money and plus technology has come a long way to improve from the old way of thinkingo so that's why .

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I watched the take-off live on Ali Velshi/ MSNBC. It was loud on the TV. It would of been teeth rattling loud in person I suspect.

Just 90 millions for Musk as a cost - I believe that one. As long as someone else threw in another 1/4 of a billion or more.

The reusability of the rocket boosters and such does a lot to drive the cost down.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You are very quick to judge. Do you know why NASA was built in the first place? It was because they were in direct competition with Russia which had just launched a few probes in space and the first ever satellite in space. It was also during the time when there was the cold war that had just started. At the time there was huge business and government interest to be the first in space hence the space race. Nasa also had access to an unlimited budget. They could afford to fail but after NASA went insane with how much money were spending, a cap started coming and therefore they lost the space race.

Yep, I know because I was there. :) I was a fan of NASA. I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid. I had models of all the Apollo rockets, the lunar lander, and I watched the missions on TV.

They are slow but they have done a lot for humanity you can't deny that...I was also wondering when they were flying stuff into space why they couldn't just re-use the booster rockets that fell from the sky?They were slow because they didn't have competition and there was not a lot of business interest in space travel which is why it died out after the cold war. Rest of what you saw from NASA was simply curiosity

Yes, but after Skylab, they became top-heavy and the funding started to spin out of control. The Shuttle Program came too early, and the ISS project has been far more useful. Now, NASA has lost it's usefulness.

Right now, there is both public/government and commercial interest in space travel. People have money, the power and the money and plus technology has come a long way to improve from the old way of thinkingo so that's why .

The government never innovates. Only the public sector does that.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I have a very definite man-crush for this dude. Not only is he a visionary, but he is also compassionate and has a very strong moral center. Everything he has done, and everything he wants to do appears to consider the rest of Mankind, and not profits. What he is doing is actually undermining the top-heavy old guard which costs the government billions to do what he can do with millions.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I have a very definite man-crush for this dude. Not only is he a visionary, but he is also compassionate and has a very strong moral center. Everything he has done, and everything he wants to do appears to consider the rest of Mankind, and not profits. What he is doing is actually undermining the top-heavy old guard which costs the government billions to do what he can do with millions.
I am secretly thinking that him going to mars is an escape plan so him and his buddies can escape earth and re-establish there....

Gate_Boarder

Well Known GateFan

Not bad for an immigrant from South Africa - good part I hope.

According to his bio he graduated from Queens University in Kingston, Ontario, which is a hot spot for robotics and technology at least I think it is. Thus there must be at least one more Canadian working on his projects.

With this new found ability we can get the Russian jackboots off the neck of the International Space Station and maybe loose all their capacity to blackmail the people up there whenever they need supplies.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Yep, I know because I was there. :) I was a fan of NASA. I wanted to be an astronaut when I was a kid. I had models of all the Apollo rockets, the lunar lander, and I watched the missions on TV.

Yes, but after Skylab, they became top-heavy and the funding started to spin out of control. The Shuttle Program came too early, and the ISS project has been far more useful. Now, NASA has lost it's usefulness.

The government never innovates. Only the public sector does that.
My response from a guy from a guy that worked on NASA JPL.

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
Somewhat related if you guys have stereo headphones you can experience the feel and sounds of the launch. Go to 09:55 onwards

And if it wasn't for NASA Space X would not be allowed to use the launch pad that the Saturn 5 rocket used.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
My response from a guy from a guy that worked on NASA JPL.

I was doing a contract job JPL the same day that the t-shirts and baseball caps arrived for the Mars Phoenix mission crew. They were tri-color, and the order was almost $3000. Not to mention the company who created a model of the Phoenix lander for the lobby for $10,000. 9/10 of the crew were fat middle aged white guys who smelled of onions and cigarettes and who did not seem particularly bright. Where were the young people and the females and the diversity? Certainly, there was a variety of selections that could have been made.

Word to the wise: NEVER go to the target of criticism to get an objective opinion. Why should I listen to a guy working for NASA to get advice on how to handle them? The public being against NASA is directly connected to this guy's job.

Last edited:

Atlantis

Well Known GateFan
This is something that gets rarely discussed but Space X faced 2 years and 3 months of failure before they saw the first ever successful landing of the rockets.