Tell us your online Shopping Horror Stories

heisenberg

Earl Grey
So I thought I share one I have just one with ebay. I listed a cpap mask for sale because I bought the wrong size and wanted to turn it into cash, I saw that others were posting it without any problems. Infact, someone has made it into a profitable business on ebay by selling 100s of them. Unfortunately, somehow I got targeted because I breached their policy because it apparently was a medical device and those can't be sold on ebay.

Meanwhile...

http://www.ebay.com.au/usr/healthygohappy?_trksid=p2047675.l2559

This blithering asswipe is able to sell these exact same item but isn't breaching their policy, no... :rolleyes: :facepalm:

I have never been so angry at ebay or anyone before being such assholes. This was most likely removed by a guy with a double digit IQ. I am still fighting this at the moment.

Has anyone come across such incompetent people while using ebay/amazon/craiglist(lol).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So I thought I share one I have just one with ebay. I listed a cpap mask for sale because I bought the wrong size and wanted to turn it into cash, I saw that others were posting it without any problems. Infact, someone has made it into a profitable business on ebay by selling 100s of them. Unfortunately, somehow I got targeted because I breached their policy because it apparently was a medical device and those can't be sold on ebay.

Meanwhile...

This blithering asswipe is able to sell these exact same item but isn't breaching their policy, no... :rolleyes: :facepalm:

I have never been so angry at ebay or anyone before being such assholes. This was most likely removed by a guy with a double digit IQ. I am still fighting this at the moment.

Has anyone come across such incompetent people while using ebay/amazon/craiglist(lol).

I once posted an older Sony 5.1 surround sound receiver on Craigslist, CLEARLY stating that the price was firm and this grumpy woman called and set up a meeting to buy it. I meet her at my place and show her that it works because it's all plugged in, and she agrees to buy it. So, I disconnect everything, box it up and she hands me half the price I was asking. I told her it was not enough and she started haggling with me! I had a printout of the ad, showing that I said the price was FIRM (in caps like that), and she still tried to haggle for about 2/3 what I wanted. I refused and she did not give in and said the deduction was for her travel. I had to almost physically shove her out of my place. No more selling after that!

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I once posted an older Sony 5.1 surround sound receiver on Craigslist, CLEARLY stating that the price was firm and this grumpy woman called and set up a meeting to buy it. I meet her at my place and show her that it works because it's all plugged in, and she agrees to buy it. So, I disconnect everything, box it up and she hands me half the price I was asking. I told her it was not enough and she started haggling with me! I had a printout of the ad, showing that I said the price was FIRM (in caps like that), and she still tried to haggle for about 2/3 what I wanted. I refused and she did not give in and said the deduction was for her travel. I had to almost physically shove her out of my place. No more selling after that!

Lol! Cheap people be such wastes of time. I know about haggling, learned it while travelling in Indonesia two decades ago. I would never harass someone like that though, neither would I let myself be harassed like that. Like you apparently. Kudos! Fuck those cheap ass sons of bitches.

Tripler

Well Known GateFan
Trying to sell my trash right now and this one guy comes back and forth at me with three emails insisting he will buy the trash if I have a paypal account because he wants to pay that way . I say no 3 times and insist that it is a certified check or bank draft . Not selling my car and being payed with PayPal . Too many scams . This will be way too much money for this kind of transaction . Guy is trying to scam me big time .

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I used to work for PayPal. For a (very) short while. There are indeed many people trying to use it to scam others out of their money. Kudos on you for not allowing them.

Meanwhile...

Ebay sucks for legit sellers. They seem to go out of their way to protect scammers. A friend of mine who sells on Ebay listed my old PS3 and the controllers and a ton of games once. Some guy bought the package within minutes of it being listed. He then messaged us saying he wanted it shipped to a different address than the one on his paypal account. Had I been stupid enough to do as he asked I would have been scammed as you lose seller protection if you send it anywhere other than the listed address. And it turned out the guy had a brand new account and no feedback. He tried to give me a song and dance about having moved but his story didn't jibe with the fact that he had just created a new account. When I asked why he didn't list his new address on his new account he stopped communicating. I had to cancel the sale and re-list things, which sucked because the scammer could have given a negative rating to my friend's account then. (Ebay no longer allows sellers to rate buyers, which is stupid because scammers could be singled out better that way.) Thankfully most scammers don't bother giving negative feedback because they don't want to call attention to themselves apparently.

I did manage to eventually sell everything, and even that was weird because my friend's Ebay account is USA shipping only. Well, it turns out that there's a way around this for foreigners buying stuff on Ebay. All they have to do is list their account with a re-shipper address in Florida or California. So it's a way of circumventing that restriction. What happens is the item arrives at the re-shipper then they open it and repack it (sometimes) and then ship it out of the country. The problem comes in if the buyer has a complaint. That can be a headache to deal with I've heard. But thankfully the sale of my PS3 bundle went okay when I sold it to a guy somewhere in Latin America. I had full insurance on it and also required a signature upon delivery (to the re-shipper).

I've heard some stories of being scammed via a re-shipper but if you cover your ass with insurance and signature delivery I think you're protected. The bottom line is that Ebay doesn't give a shit about what they consider to be "small" sellers. They're all about protecting the buyers and the giant corporations that sell through them. (And there's a shit load of corporate sellers on Ebay.) If you're a seller on Ebay you can complain to the Ebay staff until you're blue in the face but they won't give a shit. The call center at Ebay is a joke.

So if you sell anything on Ebay be prepared to deal with a lot of unexpected BS.