Technology has hurt social parasites and beggars

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
but with many thing 'overmind one' that is you, the majority of ppl are not like you :)

i think the only thing i like that Elizabeth Warren done was while she was the head of the consumer credit protection agency

when they put an end to the en masse issuance of credit cards to college freshman.

than had to put a dent in the plans of banks and others who used that program as a first step in indoctrinating ppl into just swipe and forget mentality.
Yep, that Warren woman is a piece of work, but she did have her heart in the right place. :) I would push back against the elimination of cash. There are a few things I prefer to use cash to purchase because I can get them cheaper with cash in hand than with plastic. Also, I use cash in the little stores who would charge a fee for using my cards. I keep some cash at home for this.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
i dont get it... one woman in here, who lives in SoCal, makes around $1600/month and she cant get a place to live?

why stay in the area? i said this before, but around here and in many other rural and non poverty areas, she could rent 3 full size 3 bedroom houses for that amount!!!

or buy a house for that matter..she could buy some very good condition tax arrears sale homes from the county for the amount she makes in two months there

there needs to be a national housing registry where ppl in high COLA areas can get info on this kind of stuff. so that maybe they could save that money while living in their car, then get some one time travel/relocation stipend, to move to an area like where I am.

something needs to give, there is simply no reason why this kind of thing should be going on for ppl who are working full time.--this is unsustainable, nothing good is going to come of this

and WHY dont these ppl--like the ones living in the fenced in parking lot in SoCal. pool their money and get an apt together?

and the people in Wva ('Appalachia' in the video). the way that so many ppl from one area need to go to that mass medical weekend where the care is free-also unacceptable. I think Wva is one area that should be targeted by the Trump admin for some of these returning factories coming back to the US from overseas (like the apple factory being built in texas)

IDK, i think these are fair questions to ask--no reason this should be happening in america, especially in places where ppl pride themselves in their liberal compassion, like California. why so many WORKING ppl on the streets there?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i dont get it... one woman in here, who lives in SoCal, makes around $1600/month and she cant get a place to live?

why stay in the area? i said this before, but around here and in many other rural and non poverty areas, she could rent 3 full size 3 bedroom houses for that amount!!!

or buy a house for that matter..she could buy some very good condition tax arrears sale homes from the county for the amount she makes in two months there

there needs to be a national housing registry where ppl in high COLA areas can get info on this kind of stuff. so that maybe they could save that money while living in their car, then get some one time travel/relocation stipend, to move to an area like where I am.

something needs to give, there is simply no reason why this kind of thing should be going on for ppl who are working full time.--this is unsustainable, nothing good is going to come of this

and WHY dont these ppl--like the ones living in the fenced in parking lot in SoCal. pool their money and get an apt together?

and the people in Wva ('Appalachia' in the video). the way that so many ppl from one area need to go to that mass medical weekend where the care is free-also unacceptable. I think Wva is one area that should be targeted by the Trump admin for some of these returning factories coming back to the US from overseas (like the apple factory being built in texas)

IDK, i think these are fair questions to ask--no reason this should be happening in america, especially in places where ppl pride themselves in their liberal compassion, like California. why so many WORKING ppl on the streets there?

I agree with you. But the sad reality of capitalism is that there are always going to be poor people. California uses the housing cost to corral people into socio-economic zones.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I agree with you. But the sad reality of capitalism is that there are always going to be poor people. California uses the housing cost to corral people into socio-economic zones.
yes

but i also think a lot of it is fear of change

ppl who have spent all of their lives in one area are just not the keen on moving-especially if it is from urban area to rural area or even a smaller city

i am not kidding at all when i say that all of those ppl living in that parking lot in their cars in SoCal could all live very comfortably here. and they could easily make here what they are currently making there

going close to 5 or 6 yrs now, employers in this area have been having serious issues finding enough ppl to work in the powdered metal industry-both primary and secondary shops

the demand for these positions takes away from all the other non manufacturing jobs..the local walmart has open interviews with same day hires EVERY MONTH. wm now starts at $12.50/hr-a very good wage for around here with low COLA. even the local 24hr gas stations/convenience stores (7-11 type stuff) starts at $13

starting manufacturing jobs are at $14 or higher with an increase after 90 days and benefits from day of hire

i think if there was a concerted gvt/private effort put forth-a hell of a lot of ppl from those hard hit urban areas could have full employment if they could know and if they would move

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
so yeah,,tech has hurt the parasites and beggars BUT what about tech being used to help those who are homeless yet work full time in ways i have stated (as an example)?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Neither city idea, or the state wide bill to intern and enter into govt conservancy the assets of the interned who were homeless at the time of internment, will probably ever go into law, but, the thought that ppl in california are having these thoughts, is disturbing

Reminiscent of the ST-DS9 ep where Sisko and Bashir went back to a San Francisco where so much of the city was turned into a concentration camp for the poor, or anyone who could provide proper papers

and that this could be applied to anyone who the authorities consider to fall under the guidelines==like all the people now homeless due to the wild fires

or anyone who falls asleep in a park on their lunchbreak

they could all end up in one of these camps because the individual must prove they are not homeless and that they can adequately provide for themselves

https://www.redding.com/story/news/...s-council-backlash-julie-personal/2590678001/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Neither city idea, or the state wide bill to intern and enter into govt conservancy the assets of the interned who were homeless at the time of internment, will probably ever go into law, but, the thought that ppl in california are having these thoughts, is disturbing

Reminiscent of the ST-DS9 ep where Sisko and Bashir went back to a San Francisco where so much of the city was turned into a concentration camp for the poor, or anyone who could provide proper papers

and that this could be applied to anyone who the authorities consider to fall under the guidelines==like all the people now homeless due to the wild fires

or anyone who falls asleep in a park on their lunchbreak

they could all end up in one of these camps because the individual must prove they are not homeless and that they can adequately provide for themselves

https://www.redding.com/story/news/...s-council-backlash-julie-personal/2590678001/

The bolded is exactly what came to mind when I read about what they were proposing.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
The bolded is exactly what came to mind when I read about what they were proposing.

just how far, in your opinion, do you think Californians will allow this type of govt action (yes i know it is s till only proposed)go?

how far can the rubber band stretch left before it starts to snap back to middle (all things, not just political)?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
just how far, in your opinion, do you think Californians will allow this type of govt action (yes i know it is s till only proposed)go?

how far can the rubber band stretch left before it starts to snap back to middle (all things, not just political)?

They don't have a chance in hell of getting it passed. The reason for it is because the newly rich real estate owners in the Bay Area are powerful enough to buy the legislature. The homelessness problem is basically centered in the Bay Area, and the reason is because housing costs have been allowed to jump in an extreme fashion. Greedy corporations buying up housing and then jacking the rent is making people homeless. I live in SoCal, and I pay $1400/mo for a 600sqft studio apartment. It has a balcony and a full kitchen with dishwasher,icrowave and granite counters and laminate floors, but no garage. 10 years ago when I started this site, $1350 bought me a beachfront apartment facing the ocean, literally close enough to the water to throw a baseball into the water. That same apartment today is....get this....$3000 PER MONTH. I moved when it went to $2100 per month. I like my newer place much better even though it isn't on the beach. I am close enough to the beach to walk 4 blocks.

I think the real world lessons of years of social programs and liberal politics will collapse those programs.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
10 years ago when I started this site, $1350 bought me a beachfront apartment facing the ocean, literally close enough to the water to throw a baseball into the water. That same apartment today is....get this....$3000 PER MONTH. I moved when it went to $2100 per month.

i am guessing no rent control or rent increase regs there?

if so, then this is another dissonance that hits ppl when they hear it

we always hear how liberal california is, then why no liberal policies--actually good ones that would protect ppl, like rent control? you could do it smarter then say NYC and only have rent control in place for tenants that are below a certain income

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
i am guessing no rent control or rent increase regs there?

if so, then this is another dissonance that hits ppl when they hear it

we always hear how liberal California is, then why no liberal policies--actually good ones that would protect ppl, like rent control? you could do it smarter than say NYC and only have rent control in place for tenants that are below a certain income

Do it for everyone! The threshold for rent control should not be below 80k a year. The reason is that it seems that all new housing being built in CA is "luxury housing", even though it really isn't. Having granite counters and laminate floors are not "luxury", nor is having a shared laundry room. They want to label these new places all luxury so they can get higher rents.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Do it for everyone! The threshold for rent control should not be below 80k a year. The reason is that it seems that all new housing being built in CA is "luxury housing", even though it really isn't. Having granite counters and laminate floors are not "luxury", nor is having a shared laundry room. They want to label these new places all luxury so they can get higher rents.

i dont like govt control of things all that much, but i think when you have a state that holds up to 25% of the nation's homeless, has a housing shortage in general, a affordable housing crisis in specific AND so much of what is available is being fairly regularly taken away by fires, mudslides and the occasional earthquake and THEN you still have a-holes wanting to make money --over the top money, by building 'luxury homes' THEN there is a case for some level of govt control or takeover of housing stock

maybe the feds should nationalize all housing in california and make them all HUD housing!! Libs should love that

i mean it would be fair, and then all of them could stop apologizing and stop being 'offended on behalf of' all of those homeless people

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
I found a letter from my Dutch bank the other day. It mentioned that they had decided to not put a negative interest on current and savings accounts. (yet)

Seriously? It's not enough that you don't get interest on the money you store in your accounts. It's not enough that you're paying a monthly fee to have an account. Now (sometime soon) banks will start charging you for having money in your account.

Banks should go! They are way out of control. They squander your money, then get bailed out by the government, which thus ends up costing you money through taxes, and through all this they pay exorbitant bonuses to their top level employees. Fuck banks!

I recall saying when I was young, perhaps 25 or 30 years ago, that I would prefer not to have a bank but get cash in hand instead. Of course, that's not possible because employers (and perhaps even legislation) obligate you to have an account.

Not all about banks is bad, but they've outlived their usefulness. Or rather, the useful aspects of banks no longer outweigh their negative sides.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I found a letter from my Dutch bank the other day. It mentioned that they had decided to not put a negative interest on current and savings accounts. (yet)

Seriously? It's not enough that you don't get interest on the money you store in your accounts. It's not enough that you're paying a monthly fee to have an account. Now (sometime soon) banks will start charging you for having money in your account.

Banks should go! They are way out of control. They squander your money, then get bailed out by the government, which thus ends up costing you money through taxes, and through all this they pay exorbitant bonuses to their top level employees. Fuck banks!

I recall saying when I was young, perhaps 25 or 30 years ago, that I would prefer not to have a bank but get cash in hand instead. Of course, that's not possible because employers (and perhaps even legislation) obligate you to have an account.

Not all about banks is bad, but they've outlived their usefulness. Or rather, the useful aspects of banks no longer outweigh their negative sides.

I agree!