Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Okay, first of all, I'm finding it very confusing to find the correct place to post this. Why is there a separate section for "Science Fiction Movies" and then another one for "Science Fiction, Fantasy Movies"? The first one has only two threads in it and this one seams to have many, so I figured I'd post this in here even though I originally intended to post it in the other section. I also found it difficult to find because this general section is called "In Movie Theaters - Box Office and Movie Reviews" and this is not in theaters, has nothing to do with box office and it's not a review either. Still this does appear to be the most appropriate place to post it, so here goes. Feel free to move it elsewhere if necessary.

Anyway, I got home from work a few hours ago and plunged myself onto the sofa and turned on Netflix and saw this movie named Synchronicity pass by as I was browsing. I had noticed it before but had not watched it because it was rated for 1 star. This time I was just in the mood to put something on without paying much attention to it so without much further thought I hit play.

In the beginning of the movie I was like "meh, what the fuck is this". I figured that it would probably stay that way as people had apparently generally rated it 1 star, but I stuck with it nonetheless, I was busy doing my daily internet "chores" anyway. After a while I started to find the movie more interesting and paid more attention to the TV and less to my laptop. About halfway through the movie I was wondering why it only had 1 star as I would rate it 3 stars. From then on I was pretty much only still paying attention to the movie and for the time being had forgotten all about my laptop.

As the story progressed further, in my opinion, it kept getting more and more interesting. I was now considering rating it 4 stars. In the end, I ended up rating it for 5 stars.

I think what put most people of is that it takes a while to get going combined with the complexity of the plot. The plot appears to keep getting more and more complex. Actually, to be honest, I couldn't quite grasp all of it, but that somehow makes me like it more. I'll probably have to watch the movie a couple of times more before I can put more parts of it together. I'm not going to say much about the movie because I wouldn't want to spoil anything, but what I can say is that it is based around time travel, which is the reason for its complexity.

In that sense, the movie reminded me of some other movie that I saw a couple of years ago of which I am now struggling to remember the name. Ah yes, a simple Google search on "complex time travel movie" immediately found it for me, that movie was called Primer. So Synchronicity has a similar complexity to it as Primer, or at least that's what it felt like to me. But perhaps I was just tired.

So, has anyone of you perhaps watched Synchronicity? What did you think?

Here's a link to IMDB in case you're interested.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2049543/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Funny you should mention the layout...it's VERY confusing, and we will be fixing that. Too many sections that are similar.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Okay, first of all, I'm finding it very confusing to find the correct place to post this. Why is there a separate section for "Science Fiction Movies" and then another one for "Science Fiction, Fantasy Movies"? The first one has only two threads in it and this one seams to have many, so I figured I'd post this in here even though I originally intended to post it in the other section. I also found it difficult to find because this general section is called "In Movie Theaters - Box Office and Movie Reviews" and this is not in theaters, has nothing to do with box office and it's not a review either. Still this does appear to be the most appropriate place to post it, so here goes. Feel free to move it elsewhere if necessary.

Anyway, I got home from work a few hours ago and plunged myself onto the sofa and turned on Netflix and saw this movie named Synchronicity pass by as I was browsing. I had noticed it before but had not watched it because it was rated for 1 star. This time I was just in the mood to put something on without paying much attention to it so without much further thought I hit play.

In the beginning of the movie I was like "meh, what the fuck is this". I figured that it would probably stay that way as people had apparently generally rated it 1 star, but I stuck with it nonetheless, I was busy doing my daily internet "chores" anyway. After a while I started to find the movie more interesting and paid more attention to the TV and less to my laptop. About halfway through the movie I was wondering why it only had 1 star as I would rate it 3 stars. From then on I was pretty much only still paying attention to the movie and for the time being had forgotten all about my laptop.

As the story progressed further, in my opinion, it kept getting more and more interesting. I was now considering rating it 4 stars. In the end, I ended up rating it for 5 stars.

I think what put most people of is that it takes a while to get going combined with the complexity of the plot. The plot appears to keep getting more and more complex. Actually, to be honest, I couldn't quite grasp all of it, but that somehow makes me like it more. I'll probably have to watch the movie a couple of times more before I can put more parts of it together. I'm not going to say much about the movie because I wouldn't want to spoil anything, but what I can say is that it is based around time travel, which is the reason for its complexity.

In that sense, the movie reminded me of some other movie that I saw a couple of years ago of which I am now struggling to remember the name. Ah yes, a simple Google search on "complex time travel movie" immediately found it for me, that movie was called Primer. So Synchronicity has a similar complexity to it as Primer, or at least that's what it felt like to me. But perhaps I was just tired.

It's posts like these that make me go out and watch shit I would not normally watch. I have had that experience with movies being rated poorly that I absolutely LOVED when I watched them. An example is Oblivion. Now, I am going to watch Synchronicity just because a scifi fan said they liked it. I realize now that scifi fans are a small group these days. That being said, the mass audiences no longer care about good scifi because they don't know what it is. :)

I'm going to watch this.

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Well now I hope that the movie won't let you down @Overmind One and that you will indeed enjoy it. Remember, it takes a while before it gets going. Also, don't let yourself get put off by the "love interest" for the main character too soon.

I don't think scifi fans are a small group these days. If anything scifi appears to have become more mainstream. It's not really considered geeky anymore to be someone who likes scifi. Maybe because a lot of people now like a little bit of scifi it makes it seem as if there are less hardcore scifi fans in comparison? I dunno.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

there is an overwhelmingly "unknown" film that was still on NF last time I checked few months back, but as they change the lineup freq., who knows now

anyhow, you may like it. a sci fi film that is mostly conversation and the characters discussing the unintended consequences of time travel

it is called THE PENITENT MAN

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
Well The Penitent Man is not on Netflix, at least not in the UK, not at the moment. I watched the trailer. It didn't mention any time travel. If I ever see it I will give it a chance.

Did you get around to watching Synchronicity @Overmind One?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well The Penitent Man is not on Netflix, at least not in the UK, not at the moment. I watched the trailer. It didn't mention any time travel. If I ever see it I will give it a chance.

I LIKED THIS!

At first, I was sort of wondering why everything looked so 1990s with the manual dials and toggle switches in that lab, but then it did not matter when the story started going. The middle of the film when they were revealing the second Jim hiding in the scenes we saw earlier was brilliant. The phone call, the headaches, and the switchups. I thought that Abby was an awesome character, and she acted it very well. I also liked his lab geek buddies. But the #1 appeal was the visuals. They made such clever use of office spaces, parking structure interiors, and in the lab. Definitely an unexpected, pleasant surprise. And it was science fiction! I liked the opening theme too. :daniel_new_anime021:

Last edited:

YJ02

Well Known GateFan

it can be rented via youtube for $2.99--i am sure om1 has "alternate" viewing methods as well :).

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
it can be rented via youtube for $2.99--i am sure om1 has "alternate" viewing methods as well :).

I just watched this trailer....so, is it science fiction? It does not seem like it. :)

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
I just watched this trailer....so, is it science fiction? It does not seem like it. :)

though one of the two main characters does not realize it, the discussion between them is about time travel and its repercussions.

there are little to no sfx (i think one shot has some), but the story is sci fi drama
--------------

and, do not know the accuracy of this--but if true, it makes me like the film even more!--read in a blog that the writer of this story tried to get it sold to a large studio. no one would make it without big changes and a lot of action seq's, sex and violence (the typical stuff)

apparently the guy refused to sell based on his not wanting his story corrupted by these studio changes. and made it low budget instead

it is one of those stories you hope is true