Syfy's Dark Matter(Joseph Mallozzi & Paul Mullie)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I guess you missed the part where I said I wanted to like this show. You also missed the part where I, and others, stated the "actual fault" of incredibly poor lighting. There is a consensus that the lighting is very poor in this show, so it's not just the subjective opinion of one person.

Personally I get so tired of beating this same old drum but apparently I can't quit the job:

I (WE) WANT GOOD SCI-FI SHOWS TO WATCH ON TV.

I (WE) ARE INTELLIGENT ENOUGH TO UNDERSTAND BUDGET CONSTRAINTS AND ALLOW FOR THAT IN OUR ASSESSMENT OF SHOWS.

I (WE) KNOW FULL WELL THAT IT IS POSSIBLE FOR SCI-FI SHOWS TO BE CHEAPLY PRODUCED YET STILL BE INTELLIGENT AND ENJOYABLE.

I (WE) AM (ARE) OPTIMISTIC AND OBJECTIVE WHEN PRESENTED WITH A NEW SCI-FI SHOW. FOR CONFIRMATION OF THIS REFER TO THE FIRST POINT IN THE LIST.

But hey GF, if Dark Matter is "SGU all over again" simply because some of us have have offered valid criticisms of the show then it's even more so now that you have chosen to, once again, be an apologist for it. Kinda seems like old times, eh? ;)

So...do we need a Prediction Ball and Ratings?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
So...do we need a Prediction Ball and Ratings?

Good question. The problem I see with a weekly ratings poll would be the lack of interest in the show to begin with. Quite frankly I find the show fairly boring and not worth tuning in for. Plus the show is sooooo cheaply produced that chances are good it will get an automatic second season so it might be a wasted effort to try and keep track week to week of how it's doing.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Good question. The problem I see with a weekly ratings poll would be the lack of interest in the show to begin with. Quite frankly I find the show fairly boring and not worth tuning in for. Plus the show is sooooo cheaply produced that chances are good it will get an automatic second season so it might be a wasted effort to try and keep track week to week of how it's doing.

THIS. Remember when a "season" meant 26 episodes? Now it is only 13. And the UK considers 6 episodes a "season". Having said that, I think it is a safe bet that Dark Skies got at least 26 episodes (2 seasons). Syfy is suffering from NuBSG Constipation. They are still worshipping the NuBSG model as being the Holy Grail. Haven’t they been burned enough doing that?

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
THIS. Remember when a "season" meant 26 episodes? Now it is only 13. And the UK considers 6 episodes a "season". Having said that, I think it is a safe bet that Dark Skies got at least 26 episodes (2 seasons). Syfy is suffering from NuBSG Constipation. They are still worshipping the NuBSG model as being the Holy Grail. Haven’t they been burned enough doing that?

I think we're seeing SyFy playing it safe with stuff like DM. It's so cheaply produced that they don't have to worry too much if it tanks or even if it just limps along.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Well I actually sat through last nights episode believe it or not. They used the zombie trope on a salvage ship. The thing that struck me the most about this episode was the complete lack of empathy I had with the characters. At no point did I feel a sense of danger or concern for them. Quite frankly, the whole show was just plain boring. You'd think with a cast of 7 different characters they could come up with some interesting story lines for them but so far they are all pretty uninteresting and not worth dissecting.

ecgordon

Star's Hero
Not sure why they are just numbering the episodes rather than giving them a title, but last night's could have easily been called "Bushwhacked."

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
I should add that David Hewlett's brief appearance in the ep was actually pretty good.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Well I actually sat through last nights episode believe it or not. They used the zombie trope on a salvage ship. The thing that struck me the most about this episode was the complete lack of empathy I had with the characters. At no point did I feel a sense of danger or concern for them. Quite frankly, the whole show was just plain boring. You'd think with a cast of 7 different characters they could come up with some interesting story lines for them but so far they are all pretty uninteresting and not worth dissecting.

Why would you have any empathy for characters with no depth or real background and whose portrayals are flat as a board? In all honesty, the even cheaper Killjoys for its folibles (and it has its share) at least has a sense of energy to it and the performances are sufficient that you can actually feel a sense of danger for them.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Why would you have any empathy for characters with no depth or real background and whose portrayals are flat as a board? In all honesty, the even cheaper Killjoys for its folibles (and it has its share) at least has a sense of energy to it and the performances are sufficient that you can actually feel a sense of danger for them.

You know me, I'm the eternal optimist. :icon_lol:

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
yes they do, but the BBC does not function under advertising, it is funded by a TV tax.
A bloody expensive one, I now pay. Not worth it, imo and you have no choice. Such BS, makes me miss USA. I also still have to pay through nose for Virgin as well, BBC has some good shows but most over here suck ass.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
I do like Dark Matter, it is no war and peace, but such is life these days. It has a big dude from Conitinuum in a much more likeable character and robot is Lauren from Lost Girl. Have to love Canadian tv actors being recycled on so many shows. I basically scour SPACE anymore to find the good shows. DM has some interesting mysteries, it will be cool to see if they can come up with some good surprises.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Did you recognize Lisa Ryder on Killjoys? She is the RAC rep who swore in the brother

Jim of WVa

Well Known GateFan
I do like Dark Matter, it is no war and peace, but such is life these days. It has a big dude from Conitinuum in a much more likeable character and robot is Lauren from Lost Girl. Have to love Canadian tv actors being recycled on so many shows. I basically scour SPACE anymore to find the good shows. DM has some interesting mysteries, it will be cool to see if they can come up with some good surprises.

Danger Mouse?

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Who is she from?

A bunch of different Candian Sci Fi shows like "Andromeda, Earth Final Conflict, Total Recall 2070, Forever Knight" and others.

Quetesh

Well Known GateFan
A bunch of different Candian Sci Fi shows like "Andromeda, Earth Final Conflict, Total Recall 2070, Forever Knight" and others.
Any of these any good? I am on lookout for more shows to watch. Already did Caprica, BSG, SG,SGA, Fallling Skies, Definace, ER, Last Ship and now doing House MD. I need some good shows to binge watch.