SyFy original movie - The Philadelphia Experiment

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Is it still an "original" movie when it's a remake?

Inara

GateFans Noob
Is it still an "original" movie when it's a remake?

They've aired stuff previously aired on other networks and called it "original" programming. The original run of Stargate SG-1 is an example, since it was originally produced by Showtime.

I'm finding it interesting they have a castmember from the original movie, but make no mention of it in the press release. Probably a cameo role, but those who've seen the original would get it.

S

Stonelesscutter

So now SyFy is going to remake a Hollywood movie and claim it's original? And they think they can do better than the original??
They've got some nerve.

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
There seems to be this growing inability in Hollywood to come up with original content, so now studios of all stripes are "reimagining" existing (previously successful) scripts. To date, I don't believe that many of these "reimaginings" have been a financial success.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
They're bringing back Michael Pare from the original movie. I don't imagine they'll be giving him the lead on this version.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
*sigh*

... Pare plays the villain Hagan, one of Moore's henchmen...

Since this is a sequel, why couldn't Pare reprise his role given that the story takes place today?

InThe Philadelphia Experiment, a secret government research project tries reviving the World War II “Philadelphia Experiment,” which was an attempt to create a cloaking device to render warships invisible. When the experiment succeeds, it brings back the original ship (theEldridge) that disappeared during the first test in 1943 -- which brings death and destruction to the 21[SUP]st[/SUP] century. It’s up to the sole survivor (Lea) of the first experiment and his granddaughter (Ullerup) to stop it.

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
*sigh*

Since this is a sequel, why couldn't Pare reprise his role given that the story takes place today?

*sigh" you'd think they would just use Pare given he's only 4 years older than Lea. :facepalm:...oh well, another movie to miss! :P

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
So now SyFy is going to remake a Hollywood movie and claim it's original? And they think they can do better than the original??
They've got some nerve.

They have been using that same diseased, atrophied nerve to come up with dreck like Marcel's Quantum Kitchen and Wrestling Fridays. Why dont they just start adding Spanish language soap operas? I understand they have HUGE audiences. :roll: This is a remake/re-imagining, and there is nothing original about it. I half expect them to start making remakes of remakes.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
They have been using that same diseased, atrophied nerve to come up with dreck like Marcel's Quantum Kitchen and Wrestling Fridays. Why dont they just start adding Spanish language soap operas? I understand they have HUGE audiences. :roll: This is a remake/re-imagining, and there is nothing original about it. I half expect them to start making remakes of remakes.

I thought that was SGU??

SciphonicStranger

Objects may be closer than they appear
For what it's worth, this one premieres tonight. :apathy:

Rac80

The Belle of the Ball
OMG...The original was cheesey beyond beleif - even for the time! I can't even being to fathom how horrible this one will be! :thoranime12:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Did you lace it with Tropicaine and Everclear (190 proof) to make sure you're numb and tanked?

No need as I've been numb and tanked ever since the 8-27-2011 announcement about the movie right here! :stupid::chuncky::anim_59:

SciphonicStranger

Mad Dog 20/20 goes pretty well with popcorn and SyFy movies... :beckett_new049:

shavedape

Well Known GateFan

SciphonicStranger

*Disclaimer*

The last time I drank MD 20/20, I couldn't see out of my left eye for about a week. For some reason Mega Shark did seem more enjoyable that way. :icon_e_biggrin: