Survivors: 21 episodes, EXCELLENT!

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
WOW. Netflix has really paid for itself in short order. I have discovered a great series on there called Survivors...yet more excellent science fiction/drama from the UK. AWESOME story. I just watched the 86min premiere, and the premise is one we have seen before...a global plague reduces the world population to a very small number of...Survivors. An unlikely band of 7 so far, each character different, with different motivations for survival and different morality. VERY INTERESTING show!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYS54Ydtfao

For those of you who like more drama in their science fiction, this is your show. Not big on special effects (because they arent needed), the premise is pure science fiction, whilst the stories are drama wrapped around the reality of a virus decimated planet. The classic struggle of finding food, water and safety is explored in a very realistic way, with plenty of sometimes dark drama and lots of character interaction. NOT SOAPY. This is worth a look see. :)

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
COOL! I didnt know of the original, but this one is great.

I've seen a couple of episodes of this on BBCA. It seemed ok but I the episodes I caught were in the middle of season 2 so I was slightly lost. Apparently this series is actually a remake of a show from the 1970's.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors
The original

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Survivors_(2008_TV_series)#Series_2_.282010.29
The remake

Very cool! I never knew about either the original or this one, but starting with this one is great. Its important to watch the first episode to understand how this plague worked, its not like I Am Legend, and people dont reanimate or turn into zombies. Im really liking this. :)

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Yep. Survivors is pretty good.

As to I Am Legend, there are three movies loosely based on the book. The recent one was really good (especially using the "alternate" ending which is what the makers intended). The Omega Man was also pretty good. And there is a Vincent Price film called The Last Man on Earth. It tracks a bit closer to the book and is also ok.

I highly recommend reading the book I Am Legend. It was a trailblazer in the whole scifi-depopulation genre and also the first attempt (and a good one) at creating scientific rationale for vampirism.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yep. Survivors is pretty good.

As to I Am Legend, there are three movies loosely based on the book. The recent one was really good (especially using the "alternate" ending which is what the makers intended). The Omega Man was also pretty good. And there is a Vincent Price film called The Last Man on Earth. It tracks a bit closer to the book and is also ok.

I highly recommend reading the book I Am Legend. It was a trailblazer in the whole scifi-depopulation genre and also the first attempt (and a good one) at creating scientific rationale for vampirism.

I have seen all of those movies. :) I have not read the I Am Legend book, but I know enough about it to know that the Will Smith version is a big departure from that story.

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
I have seen all of those movies. :) I have not read the I Am Legend book, but I know enough about it to know that the Will Smith version is a big departure from that story.

It is indeed. I actually think of I Am Legend more like a remake of Omega Man as it is closer to that film than to the book. Both are still good tho.