Sugar Addiction - Its a real, physical thing and has withdrawal symptoms.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
A banana's GI depends on its level of ripeness. Slightly green bananas are best whereas very ripe bananas have more converted simple sugars.

You're right. Green bananas have resistant starch whereas ripe yellow ones have had that starch converted to sugar.

shavedape

Well Known GateFan
Incidentally, I recently noticed something with cold pasta. Theoretically, pasta that has been cooked and then cooled develops resistant starch; a healthy starch that induces the growth of friendly bacteria and improves digestion. I made a huge batch of my famous seafood pasta salad for an Easter party. Needless to say it contains pasta and is served cold. It's a recipe I've made a million times for parties but aside from tasting it to make sure it's good, I don't really eat much of it. It's a "creamy" salad in that it has a mayonnaise-based dressing and I'm not into mayo that much.

But, this time I found myself eating a fair amount of it. I then noticed an improvement in my digestion, which is to say, I was pooping like a champion. (Eat your heart out, Bluce :P ) Hopefully this wasn't just placebo effect happening. I've never noticed this effect with bread. In fact, bread seems to have the opposite effect. But anyway, I cut back on carbs awhile ago and pasta is demonized along with carbs in general, hence my belief that it would be bad to consume it. I'm reconsidering that stance now. When I eat pasta I don't feel bad. In fact, I feel good. Can't say the same when it comes to bread products.

So I'm thinking of saying f@#& it and will start to eat more pasta, especially cold pasta, weird as that sounds.

*BTW, raw potato starch is supposed to be a great source for resistance starch that we can add to our diets. It's hard to find but Bob's Red Mill makes it if anyone wonders. Personally I didn't care for it at all when I tried it though. It gave me a severe headache and tied my stomach up in knots and was generally a horrible experience each time I tried it. I won't be trying it again.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
A banana's GI depends on its level of ripeness. Slightly green bananas are best whereas very ripe bananas have more converted simple sugars.

My point was that it seems arbitrary and seems to change every decade or so. I mean, look at ice-cream :lol: compare it to what that graph that OM1 posted.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
My point was that it seems arbitrary and seems to change every decade or so. I mean, look at ice-cream :lol: compare it to what that graph that OM1 posted.

I think arbitrary may either be attributed to misconception or lack of understanding by the author of these observations. Bananas DO vary depending on ripeness.

Also, not all ice cream is created equal. :)

upload_2016-4-9_18-43-1.png

upload_2016-4-9_18-41-59.png

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I think arbitrary may either be attributed to misconception or lack of understanding by the author of these observations. Bananas DO vary depending on ripeness.

Also, not all ice cream is created equal. :)

View attachment 32782
View attachment 32781
Funny how premium ice cream is of lower GI than regular :lol: Here they have corn/carrots and all fruits etc in the 'low' category but that harvard report has it in the high category....
Though they do mention ripening of vegetables/fruits does affect its GI, but why is Corn and carrots in two places I wonder?

http://www.diabetes.org/food-and-fi...arbohydrates/glycemic-index-and-diabetes.html

What's your opinion on fish oil btw? How much should one have?

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
You can have quinoa ANYTIME. I love it. Because of the added protein it makes an excellent choice, and although it is not particularly low carb, it is much lower carb than rice or potatoes and you can have it all sorts of ways. :) I have even made a pudding from it! You can bake it into muffins, make cheese quinoa cakes from it, have it for breakfast, make stir-dried quinoa from it. Love it. The carrots are to be dealt with carefully. Everything else looks good. And hey, if you are not in strict mode, have those carrots and even perhaps a once a week cheat. I let my once a week cheat become three days before I knew it. Now I am back on track.

How much quinoa would you recommend to have and how often? Do you recommend taking corn kernels? Again - same issue with corn as highlighted above.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
How much quinoa would you recommend to have and how often? Do you recommend taking corn kernels? Again - same issue with corn as highlighted above.

Avoid lots of corn. Not only is all corn found in the US a GMO product, but it has a very high GI and high carbs. As popcorn, you are getting far less corn overall, and it can be had as a treat. But corn and potatoes wreak havoc on your blood sugar levels. Quinoa? I usually make it two cups at a time (one cup quinoa, two cups cooking water, yields about 2 cups cooked quinoa). That two cups takes usually two days for me to eat. So, a cup of cooked quinoa per day?

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Avoid lots of corn. Not only is all corn found in the US a GMO product, but it has a very high GI and high carbs. As popcorn, you are getting far less corn overall, and it can be had as a treat. But corn and potatoes wreak havoc on your blood sugar levels. Quinoa? I usually make it two cups at a time (one cup quinoa, two cups cooking water, yields about 2 cups cooked quinoa). That two cups takes usually two days for me to eat. So, a cup of cooked quinoa per day?
...and fish oil?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
...and fish oil?

It's a must have. You get your Omega 3 fatty acids from fish oil and it is essential for good brain function. Take a fish oil capsule EVERY DAY. I thought briefly about using the bottled liquid, but the gelcaps keep the oil fresher longer and they can be stored easier. Just seems more sanitary to me somehow. :). If you want, take two per day.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It's a must have. You get your Omega 3 fatty acids from fish oil and it is essential for good brain function. Take a fish oil capsule EVERY DAY. I thought briefly about using the bottled liquid, but the gelcaps keep the oil fresher longer and they can be stored easier. Just seems more sanitary to me somehow. :). If you want, take two per day.
I take 2 in every meal actually. 1 capsule size is 1000mg and have 5 meals a day. Too much?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I take 2 in every meal actually. 1 capsule size is 1000mg and have 5 meals a day. Too much?

Meh, your body will dump what it doesn’t need. I think when it comes to Omega 3, the more the better. :) However. many doctors say that too much thins the blood.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Meh, your body will dump what it doesn’t need. I think when it comes to Omega 3, the more the better. :) However. many doctors say that too much thins the blood.
Anyway, today I avoided mangoes all together and had apples instead for my Smoothies. I also avoided carrots to a large degree but couldn't avoid corn kernels all together because I accidentally made them in my meal last night - oh well - I'll report back to you how my sleep goes.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Anyway, today I avoided mangoes all together and had apples instead for my Smoothies. I also avoided carrots to a large degree but couldn't avoid corn kernels all together because I accidentally made them in my meal last night - oh well - I'll report back to you how my sleep goes.

Have the mangoes before you exercise or walk or do any physical activity and the sugar energy will get burned.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
damn so that's no watermelon, no mangoes, no pumpkin, no beetroot.

No, you CAN have those things, you just have to plan exactly in your day to eat them when they cannot affect your energy flow. No watermelon 4 hours before bed, or mangoes. Have those things around lunchtime and perhaps a bit for dessert after dinner (assuming there are at least two hours between dinner and bedtime). Also, resist quinoa in the evening unless it's part of dinner. You have to make sure you are not loading up on carbs before bed or you will gain weight. So, low GI foods before bed will let you sleep, and low carb foods before bed will help you keep your metabolism in fat burning mode.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
No, you CAN have those things, you just have to plan exactly in your day to eat them when they cannot affect your energy flow. No watermelon 4 hours before bed, or mangoes. Have those things around lunchtime and perhaps a bit for dessert after dinner (assuming there are at least two hours between dinner and bedtime). Also, resist quinoa in the evening unless it's part of dinner. You have to make sure you are not loading up on carbs before bed or you will gain weight. So, low GI foods before bed will let you sleep, and low carb foods before bed will help you keep your metabolism in fat burning mode.
avoiding mangoes did the trick. I didn't wake up last night.