Sugar Addiction - Its a real, physical thing and has withdrawal symptoms.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Tell you the other problem with a high protein diet. Your teeth! You get some serious plaque build up if you don't brush 3 times a day. Bacteria in your mouth seems to love that anaerobic respiration.

Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. I don't really have issues with plaque on my teeth, at least no more than the average Joe I would assume, and it hasn't really changed for as long as I can remember.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Interesting. This is the first I've heard of this. I don't really have issues with plaque on my teeth, at least no more than the average Joe I would assume, and it hasn't really changed for as long as I can remember.
Haha - trust me it happens when you eat egg whites and a whey. Those artificial sweeteners are great for fat loss but bacteria still love it.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Actually, our brains are GLUCOSE junkies. The carbs just get turned into sugars for the brain. The key to low carbing is understanding the carb/ketosis threshhold. Your body can and will use ketones to create a secondary fuel for the brain and guess where that comes from? Burning fat! Your fat. If you are fat, then the fat stored in your body begins to be unpacked and used as fuel, just like nature created it to be. This state of ketosis can be controlled once you get the hang of it, and you must get Ketostix or some other measuring tool to determine if you are burning fat. There is no guessing. You are either burning fat or you aren’t, and the keto tool is empirical proof one way or another.

Everything you are telling me spells an imbalance in your diet. The mood swings, the insomnia and the other things you have described.

No imbalance really. I eat pretty much the same food you are eating right now but I add more variety of vegetables(excluding potatoes) but my protein sources are limited though. I have lost 34kg so far.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member

I only noticed that I would find more lots of lodged meat fibers after eating lots of meat like roast beef and chicken and bacon. I also found out that eating carbs is what allows the plaque making bacteria to multiply:

http://www.dentalproductsreport.com/dental/article/how-low-carb-diets-impact-oral-health

The pros to low-carb…

Food residues, specifically carbohydrates, have caries promoting characteristics that allow fermentation and acid accumulation to occur in bacterial plaque. It enhances the four previously mentioned activities of biofilm: implantation, colonization, metabolic activity and thickness. When carbs are restricted in a diet, it limits an essential factor for the development of caries.

The Vipeholm study4 in 1954 first established the strong relationship between consumption and dental caries. It was supported by the investigation of Sreebny5 in 1982, which described the extensive reviews on the study, reaffirming its results. The literature concluded that a very low intake of sugar showed very low caries scores, and those that included a very high amount of sugar in their diets developed high numbers of carious lesions.

So again, it comes back to carbs. I dunno....Im charging his vegetarian diet with the crime. :confused0006:It always comes right back to what is "natural" and what is not. Unnatural diet, unnatural issues come with it.

Last edited:

Joelist

What ship is this?
Staff member
Speaking of sugar:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
No imbalance really. I eat pretty much the same food you are eating right now but I add more variety of vegetables(excluding potatoes) but my protein sources are limited though. I have lost 34kg so far.

Vegetarian = high carb

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Macros macros macros. You need to know EXACTLY the carb and protein and calorie numbers for all the foods you eat. If you "wing it", it's like trying to guess how to get to New York from Los Angeles by road. You will get there eventually by just travelling east, but having a map will greatly refine your route. This link leads to a chart which gives the nutrient macros for most of the foods you eat. If it is not on there, find it elsewhere and make your own chart:

http://www.weightcruncher.com/carb-chart.html

I am fond of broccoli and cauliflower anyway, and they are both very low carb. I know that if I make a dish with them, I can calculate the carbs by simply multiplying them by my portion amounts (also measured). I know that by just adding a half cup of corn, I will double the carbs. I love bananas and grapes, but they are high in sugars (carbs). Also important is the Glycemic response (the impact on blood sugar over a period of time after consuming carbs). A high GI is not good, and even though the body feels briefly energized and satiated, it comes with a crash when that simple sugar is metabolised and turned into fat.

The University of Sydney maintains a searchable Glycemic Index database for foods here:

http://www.glycemicindex.com/

You want low GI foods to deal with that insomnia. High GI foods impact blood sugar and metabolism and sleep patterns and overall energy levels. I think the biggest tragedy of many would-be "healthy eaters" is smoothies. Made with berries, cream and greek yogurt and perhaps apricots or pears, you have a winner. But I see pineapple, bananas, watermelon, grapes, and some even add some agave nectar which is just more sugar. Smoothies made with these high GI/High carb fruits can wreck your diet and your metabolism.

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
I only noticed that I would find more lots of lodged meat fibers after eating lots of meat like roast beef and chicken and bacon. I also found out that eating carbs is what allows the plaque making bacteria to multiply:

http://www.dentalproductsreport.com/dental/article/how-low-carb-diets-impact-oral-health

So again, it comes back to carbs. I dunno....Im charging his vegetarian diet with the crime. :confused0006:It always comes right back to what is "natural" and what is not. Unnatural diet, unnatural issues come with it.
Nope! It happens when I eat whey protein powder too. Like I said, I eat pretty much what you eat and my high carb intake is limited.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Nope! It happens when I eat whey protein powder too. Like I said, I eat pretty much what you eat and my high carb intake is limited.

Do you drink flavored whey protein? If so, what is the sweetener used in it and do you add milk or water to the powder? All those veggies are carbs. Which veggies, how much protein and fat are you eating with the veggies, etc. It's a plan you have to consciously make beforehand. There is very little mystery left in nutritional science. The source of the bacteria which make plaque is known, and the way it forms is also known. So, something is not right in your diet. It could be something else you are consuming.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Do you drink flavored whey protein? If so, what is the sweetener used in it and do you add milk or water to the powder? All those veggies are carbs. Which veggies, how much protein and fat are you eating with the veggies, etc. It's a plan you have to consciously make beforehand. There is very little mystery left in nutritional science. The source of the bacteria which make plaque is known, and the way it forms is also known. So, something is not right in your diet. It could be something else you are consuming.

Yes the whey has sweetners. Have you tasted how raw whey tastes like? It tastes like milk powder and that doesn't taste nice at all! In my smoothies I make I add water only with low energy fruits. Yes, they are not the devil.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yes the whey has sweetners. Have you tasted how raw whey tastes like? It tastes like milk powder and that doesn't taste nice at all! In my smoothies I make I add water only with low energy fruits. Yes, they are not the devil.

Which fruits?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Mangoes/Apples/Blueberries(not together but they are mutually exclusive)

The mango is a problem. 33 carbs, and a GI of 60. These are probably the reason for your insomnia. Try subbing out for peaches or apricots? You can also try pears (in pear juice only) and save that juice to sweeten the smoothie (or add it outright). At least do not add mangoes to smoothies made in the evening. :)

heisenberg

Earl Grey
The mango is a problem. 33 carbs, and a GI of 60. These are probably the reason for your insomnia. Try subbing out for peaches or apricots? You can also try pears (in pear juice only) and save that juice to sweeten the smoothie (or add it outright). At least do not add mangoes to smoothies made in the evening. :)
, GI is out-dated isn't ? Just like BMI and I only have 100 grams of mangoes in my smoothies anyway. That comes to 14 grams of sugar which is the same as blueberries.

GI is also outdated because according to this watermelon has a high GI but the sugar content is low.

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
`
, GI is out-dated isn't ? Just like BMI and I only have 100 grams of mangoes in my smoothies anyway. That comes to 14 grams of sugar which is the same as blueberries.

GI is also outdated because according to this watermelon has a high GI but the sugar content is low.

No, GI is not outdated at all. The impact of high GI foods is very important, especially to a diabetic (I am not one). Blood sugar levels determine your energy levels and they need to be fairly sine wave-ish, not with spikes and deep valleys. Yes, watermelon has a high GI and should not be used much unless you are going to work out or use that extra energy.

glycemic20index.jpg

Last edited:

heisenberg

Earl Grey
`

No, GI is not outdated at all. The impact of high GI foods is very important, especially to a diabetic (I am not one). Blood sugar levels determine your energy levels and they need to be fairly sin wave-ish, not with spikes and deep valleys. Yes, watermelon has a high GI and should not be used much unless you are going to work out or use that extra energy.

View attachment 32780

Well,last time I checked they had ice cream with a low GI and carrots with a high GI. Now they have bananas as low GI. idk it keeps changing

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Well,last time I checked they had ice cream with a low GI and carrots with a high GI. Now they have bananas as low GI. idk it keeps changing

http://www.health.harvard.edu/healthy-eating/glycemic_index_and_glycemic_load_for_100_foods

It's confusing, I know. :) Bananas are a problem because of the carbs in them, not because of their GI. Watermelon is low sugar, but has a higher GI. Hence, if you are getting ready for bed, you do not want to eat either because the high GI will affect sleep, or the high carbs will get stored during sleep because those sugars are not being burned. Like I said, you have to plan your meals at least immediately beforehand if not for a day at a time. The effects are cumulative. Ignore all claims on packages. Look at the ingredients and base your decisions on what is in what you are eating. Ideally, there would be no packages involved (all natural foods).

heisenberg

Earl Grey
It's confusing, I know. :) Bananas are a problem because of the carbs in them, not because of their GI. Watermelon is low sugar, but has a higher GI. Hence, if you are getting ready for bed, you do not want to eat either because the high GI will affect sleep, or the high carbs will get stored during sleep because those sugars are not being burned. Like I said, you have to plan your meals at least immediately beforehand if not for a day at a time. The effects are cumulative. Ignore all claims on packages. Look at the ingredients and base your decisions on what is in what you are eating. Ideally, there would be no packages involved (all natural foods).
Yeah, that's why I opt for apple for my last evening meal with whey & water- something in the middle but doesn't spike my sugar level. What's your opinion on quinoa? When should I have it because I need it for my mood. Reckon lunch is fine? I also love carrots but I add variety of vegetables with carrots - things like Onions, Capsicum, Tomatoes, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage and have between 250 grams to 300 grams of these low energy carbs. I also have 60 grams of raw quinoa that I cook but only have this once a day.

I have this with my meals

http://www.ayam.com/chilli-sauces/412-thai-sweet-chilli-sauce-light-295ml.html

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Yeah, that's why I opt for apple for my last evening meal with whey & water- something in the middle but doesn't spike my sugar level. What's your opinion on quinoa? When should I have it because I need it for my mood. Reckon lunch is fine? I also love carrots but I add variety of vegetables with carrots - things like Onions, Capsicum, Tomatoes, Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cabbage and have between 250 grams to 300 grams of these low energy carbs. I also have 60 grams of raw quinoa that I cook but only have this once a day.

I have this with my meals

http://www.ayam.com/chilli-sauces/412-thai-sweet-chilli-sauce-light-295ml.html

You can have quinoa ANYTIME. I love it. Because of the added protein it makes an excellent choice, and although it is not particularly low carb, it is much lower carb than rice or potatoes and you can have it all sorts of ways. :) I have even made a pudding from it! You can bake it into muffins, make cheese quinoa cakes from it, have it for breakfast, make stir-dried quinoa from it. Love it. The carrots are to be dealt with carefully. Everything else looks good. And hey, if you are not in strict mode, have those carrots and even perhaps a once a week cheat. I let my once a week cheat become three days before I knew it. Now I am back on track.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member