Strong Female Characters

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I've been having an ongoing discussion with "real life" friends (face to face) about the lack of decently strong female characters in novels who aren't hypersexual at the same time. Laurell K Hamilton's books come to mind when I say this. I do love her books, but I can understand how some are becoming disappointed in the extreme at the constant sex in her Anita Blake novels.

They certainly didn't start that way.

That said, what kind of strong female character would you all like to see in a novel?

dog-walk.gif

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
One not defined by thier relationships to others.
One who can stand on thier own.
One who has confidence in themselves no matter thier apperance.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've been having an ongoing discussion with "real life" friends (face to face) about the lack of decently strong female characters in novels who aren't hypersexual at the same time. Laurell K Hamilton's books come to mind when I say this. I do love her books, but I can understand how some are becoming disappointed in the extreme at the constant sex in her Anita Blake novels.

They certainly didn't start that way.

That said, what kind of strong female character would you all like to see in a novel?

To me, the most balanced strong female character I have EVER seen portrayed on film is Sigourney Weaver's Ripley from the first Alien movie. Such precise balance...feminine, yet kickass strong with maternal instincts driving her anger and her emotions tempering her violence. SUPERB. I would like to read about who she was before going to the first aliens planet. :)

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
Thanks for the responses.

I'm working on my character development and I'm working hard to NOT turn this into something that screws up the main character in the eyes of the reader.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Thanks for the responses.

I'm working on my character development and I'm working hard to NOT turn this into something that screws up the main character in the eyes of the reader.

I cant wait until you finish your story! I will buy it if you publish it as an e-book! BTW, I need to talk with you (telephone).

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
I cant wait until you finish your story! I will buy it if you publish it as an e-book! BTW, I need to talk with you (telephone).
I'll be available after 4am Wednesday morning for a phone call. The story is coming along nicely. I have a couple folks beta'ing it to be sure it's decent. Thus far, at least one has told me she's hanging on every word and that I am not writing fast enough to suit her. Lol.

S

Stonelesscutter

To me, the most balanced strong female character I have EVER seen portrayed on film is Sigourney Weaver's Ripley from the first Alien movie. Such precise balance...feminine, yet kickass strong with maternal instincts driving her anger and her emotions tempering her violence. SUPERB. I would like to read about who she was before going to the first aliens planet. :)

I very much agree. That character was great. I dunno if it's the "best" strong female character I've seen but she was pretty damn good. And believable.
I'd also put Captain Janeway in for consideration. She was also strong but had the subtleties in there showing that she was really a regular human being.

S

Stonelesscutter

I'll be available after 4am Wednesday morning for a phone call. The story is coming along nicely. I have a couple folks beta'ing it to be sure it's decent. Thus far, at least one has told me she's hanging on every word and that I am not writing fast enough to suit her. Lol.

That makes it sound very interesting. I'm not the reading type. But I hope I'll have a chance to read a little bit of what you're working on.

Somehow when I hear strong woman the characters of Angelina Jolie also come to mind. Tomb Raider, Mr. and Mrs. Smith, etc. Somehow those don't seem like the type you meant though.

S

Stonelesscutter

Regarding strong women... Have any of you seen the movie "True Grit"?

S

Stonelesscutter

Also look at the Star Trek TNG episode "Up the Long Ladder". There's a character in there that pretty much personifies the definition of a strong woman. She's really totally hot! But someone needs to grind off the rough edges. :D

Illiterati

Council Member & Author
An excellent book for this is Downbelow Station by CJ Cherryh

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Downbelow_Station

The character of Signy Mallory is simply superb.
I love her female characters and always have. The first book of hers that I can recall reading was "Serpent's Reach". That was a fun but intense read.

My favorite series from her is the Chanur series (both of them). Pyanfar Chanur is a hell of a woman. Awfully brave of her to decide to bring an "unstable" male on board her ship. ;) Her niece, Hilfy, isn't too bad, either. Pyanfar raised her right, I think.

She writes alien races very well, I think, considering that the series is from the point of view of nonhumans trying to not only understand this hairless mammal that has fallen into their laps, but also the Kif (I miss Skukkuk!) who seem to base their entire civilization on sfik, etc.