Steven Spielberg Working on Live-Action Halo Series for Xbox

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Amidst all of the hullabaloo – and total gamer glee – surrounding today’s announcement of Microsoft’s new Xbox One came a special highlight for TV fans: the news that Steven Spielberg would be producing a live-action series based on the Halo game universe.
Since the new xbox got announced which frankly sounds more like an entertaining device rather than a gaming device, I thought this was one of better news.At least we get to see a series on TV for once and not some reality tv nonsense.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/steven-spielberg-halo-xbox/

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Since the new xbox got announced which frankly sounds more like an entertaining device rather than a gaming device, I thought this was one of better news.

http://www.wired.com/underwire/2013/05/steven-spielberg-halo-xbox/

Microsoft is trying to force people to have an internet connected "game console" which is actually only a delivery device for content and games and advertising. I never understood people who buy consoles and prefer them for gaming. You just cannot get the same gaming experience, graphics or power you can get from a PC running Windows. Not on a Mac or on Linux and not on any console which exists today.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Ease of use buddy, it's that simple.
I prefer consoles for different types of games than I would play on my PC.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Microsoft is trying to force people to have an internet connected "game console" which is actually only a delivery device for content and games and advertising. I never understood people who buy consoles and prefer them for gaming. You just cannot get the same gaming experience, graphics or power you can get from a PC running Windows. Not on a Mac or on Linux and not on any console which exists today.
People think they are getting more for less when they buy a console. There is this ridiculous PR nonsense that developers love to spew.

That being, that their consoles is programmed direct to metal programming so they can squeeze more performance out of a box.However, if you have actually gamed on a console, you'll realize that it's just a watered down PC and as the console ages, the performance comes crashing down to abysmal performance. Even at launch gta4 runs like ass on consoles but there are still many who bought it. That game came to a crawl on consoles.

Even the new ps4 will run most games at 30fps locked and the resolution will be locked at 1080 for its entire lifecycle. It will probably be less if they want to maintain high fidelity. While the PC has already surpassed 1080p but monitor manufacturers are being a royal pain in the bum and not releasing 30" 2560*1600+ monitors. There are a few but not the ones I want. LCD looks really bad compared to plasma. OLED might be decent however.

Consoles have their place but it's annoying when they shove an exclusivity that prevents you from getting it on a better platform. That being the PC of course.

Bluce Ree

Tech Admin / Council Member
Microsoft forces you to subscribe to their stupid service to use apps like Netflix. Honestly, it pissed the hell out of me when I tried launching Netflix on my parents' XBox 360 and it gave me 30 days of free Gold (or whatever pointless metaphorical metal) service on the Microshaft network, after which it wanted me TO PAY just to use the damned app with my own Netflix subscription.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Ease of use buddy, it's that simple.
I prefer consoles for different types of games than I would play on my PC.

Consoles are okay for what they are, but this new Xbox is a watered down PC like heisenberg said. It needs to be connected to the internet now, and when you do it delivers advertising and tracks your usage. The addition of keyboards and mouse capability seems idiotic when you can have a PC. There are already PS2 and PS3 emulators, as well as an Xbox emulator which will allow you to just put your games in your PC and play them. I have a PS2 emulator which plays my PS2 games just fine.

Gatefan1976

Well Known GateFan
Consoles are okay for what they are, but this new Xbox is a watered down PC like heisenberg said. It needs to be connected to the internet now, and when you do it delivers advertising and tracks your usage. The addition of keyboards and mouse capability seems idiotic when you can have a PC. There are already PS2 and PS3 emulators, as well as an Xbox emulator which will allow you to just put your games in your PC and play them. I have a PS2 emulator which plays my PS2 games just fine.
Hey, I'm not defending consoles, I just *like* them for different things.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Hey, I'm not defending consoles, I just *like* them for different things.

LOL...I have one myself. :) But I hardly use it...it is there mostly for my best buddy when he comes by and we play Def Jam Fight for NY and Test Drive and a couple of other games. I play games on my PC when I want to play a real game. :) The graphics disparity alone is enough to keep me from using a console, even the newest greatest one. The main gripe I have here is that Microsoft is marketing this stripped down PC as a game console when it is actually just a cheap (kinda) computer.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
Microsoft basically shot themselves in the foot with this new xbox. It isn't a gaming platform but more of a media centre with ridiculous fees, DRM,blocking used games and on top of this preowned fees.

Steve Ballmer needs to fired from Microsoft. It's time someone else took over. He can't run this company anymore. They've basically taken a piss on the original fanbase. Not that I care though but it does hurt gaming.

By the way, have a listen to angry joe's rant. Pretty funny if you ask me ;).He's dead on and sums up the announcement nicely.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
Probably gonna shove some kids in there somehow, not that I care really cause I won't watch anyways and never really played Halo.

ParagonPie

Well Known GateFan
The HALO universe isn't something to which I can say, I have interest in but I understand it. It depends on the stance that they take. The web series 'Forward Until Dawn' was actually surprisingly well done in my books however one thing is always in mind. Cost, it cost roughly $10 million USD to produce 'Forward until Dawn' and that was 5 fifteen minute episodes. The only way I can imagine this being done within the constraints of TV budgets is set during the separatist conflict (human colonies trying to break away from Earth), that way you have mostly human characters and enemies, because having the aliens (Covenant?) would be way to costly in both practical and CGI effects for any length of time on screen.

I could be wrong, but I go off track record and Spielberg, well he's off the tracks and up a cows arse in my books.

mzzz

Well Known GateFan
I think he's become too used to large budgets cause of his current status in the movie industry. Don't think he really knows how to work movies within a budget anymore, how to write content in such a manner.

heisenberg

Earl Grey
https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-44655117

A live-action version of the Halo computer game has been announced by US TV network Showtime.

The adaptation of Microsoft's popular sci-fi shooter franchise will be led by Rise of the Planet of the Apes director Rupert Wyatt and producer Kyle Killen.

Showtime said the series, split into 10 hour-long episodes, would dramatise "an epic 26th Century conflict" between humanity and the Covenant alien empire.

Production will begin in 2019, with a premiere date yet to be announced.

Showtime will produce the show in association with Microsoft, its 343 Industries studio and Steven Spielberg's Amblin Television.

David Nevins, Showtime's CEO and president, described the project as its "most ambitious series ever".

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
10 hours is pretty long for an episode. Wow!