Stargate SG1 The Captives

CommanderOZ

GateFans Noob
Oh well here we go. I tried getting folks to read my stuff on GW, it was ok at first, but as soon as I started posting on FF.net, the interest went from not too bad, down to :eek:

I tried getting help as well when I couldn't write, long story. Some really talented writers came on, including Aragon101, but still no bites worthy of mentioning. So I thought I'd give it one more shot before I give up entirely.

Just click on the link I suppose.

You can tell how enthusiastic I am. :(

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
I think why people don't read is because when they think FF, they think of something that would take forever to read. Pleasantly though, it was nice and brief. No more than a 5 minute read. I like it and hope to read more.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
You read 13 chapters in 5 minutes? Excellent!

I think why people don't read is because when they think FF, they think of something that would take forever to read. Pleasantly though, it was nice and brief. No more than a 5 minute read. I like it and hope to read more.

I havent read it yet but I am going to read it. Its 13 chapters. I dont read much fanfiction at all, but I am VERY interested in fanfic videos. I guess I was spoiled by the fanfiction series for Star Trek the Original Series called Star Trek New Voyages (now called Star Trek Phase II). This fanfic is complete with REAL sets, real actors in real costumes as well as some impressive fan made CGI for the space footage and battles.

I would LOVE to see some of this excellent fanfic stuff become the basis for new Stargate fanfiction video. After seeing the CGI made by Omnipotent on this site, I can easily see Atlantis, SG-1 and any other Stargate based fanfiction done easily. If SGU is cancelled and the franchise goes into hibernation for a few years, the fanfic videos might be inspired!

OCgatergal

GateFans Noob
Oh...its 13 chapters..The first chapter was good so I guess I should continue then:D

CommanderOZ

GateFans Noob
Gee thanks guys, I'm overwhelmed really. There is at this point 26 chapters in two parts. Episode 1 snd Episode 2. I hope you enjoy it, as I've tried very hard to emulate the Stargate theme, albeit with an international touch. At the latter end of Episode Two, I was unable to write because of an industrial acciedent, so the last four chapters of that arc has been a co-write with some guest writers.

Thank you again for taking the time to read :)

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
Gee thanks guys, I'm overwhelmed really. There is at this point 26 chapters in two parts. Episode 1 snd Episode 2. I hope you enjoy it, as I've tried very hard to emulate the Stargate theme, albeit with an international touch. At the latter end of Episode Two, I was unable to write because of an industrial acciedent, so the last four chapters of that arc has been a co-write with some guest writers.

Thank you again for taking the time to read :)

you know i did try to read it a few months ago Ray but it was just... to... international for me so to speak.

its still terrific writing tho just not my taste ;)

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
I havent read it yet but I am going to read it. Its 13 chapters. I dont read much fanfiction at all, but I am VERY interested in fanfic videos. I guess I was spoiled by the fanfiction series for Star Trek the Original Series canned Star Trek New Voyages (now called Star Trek Phase II). This fanfic is complete with REAL sets, real actors in real costumes as well as some impressive fan made CGI for the space footage and battles.

I would LOVE to see some of this excellent fanfic stuff become the basis for new Stargate fanfiction video. After seeing the CGI made by Omnipotent on this site, I can easily see Atlantis, SG-1 and any other Stargate based fanfiction done easily. If SGU is cancelled and the franchise goes into hibernation for a few years, the fanfic videos might be inspired!

indeed i seen that fic and i watch specter of the past on youtube occasionally (pure cg trek with ok story)
and myself i have provided alot of artworks for both Aragon and cmdrOZ some of it old and ugly others newer and pretty.
ill leave it up to them if they want to post some of it ;)

but for an SG CG fanfic me and aragon have been toying with the idea for a few months or actually it might be for almost a year... the probles here would be TIME as its THE factor when it comes to cg. for instance my latest animation that you can see HERE took me 124 hours to render and it was only 10 seconds of footage, so time is a limiting factor here unless one has accses to a real good computer or even better a renderfarm.

but id def love being a part of making one.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
This is where CPU power comes in.

If you were rendering on a quad core processor on a 64-bit operating system, that render time would be cut to less than half the time. That is the reason for multi-core processors...to crunch more, faster. CGI software performance is directly related to CPU power.

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
Well the good news is i MAY have gotten the job in the computer industry, so i might be able to work out sending an ASUS quadcore laptop Alx's way :P costs 16 bills though :eek:

If we were to make a fanfiction series via video, I wouldn't want to do it alone. I have 2-3 select writers i'd want to be a part of it beyond myself. I'm good, but i'm not exceptional just yet and i'd definitely want some help with technicalities of writing and consistency. I think a mix of original rendered CGI and machinama would be the best thing, but finding a proper gaming engine would take alot of effort and that's something i'm not used to.

Maybe comics using CGI so that it doesn't need to be drawn every time by hand.

As far as "The Captives", i think it's a few reasons why it hasn't caught on well. One is the focus on internationality. Like it or not, the good ol' USA is popular :P

two is the - while realistic in some ways - way the SGC hsa been changed from a small operation that's really more of an underdog thing, to a type of Federation of Planets with fleets that go about the stars. [/cheeky]

three, the OCs are very rapidly introduced and focused on heavily. While not specifically mary sue, they do lean towards that quite a bit. The whole "ancient warrior' thing really sums up the 'chosen one' trope which more often than not doesn't really compel the reader much.

fourthly, and i've talked to you about htis PJ, the Dialogue is kinda stilted at times and doesn't fit the scene. Mac explaining in detail his training at the Gamma Site about Ori Fighters while they're under fire is just so jarring it's hard to move past it. :P Yes i'm using that example again because even when you rewrote it, you DIDN"T CHANGE THAT!!!! :P

Popularity is not hte same as quality though, there are very popular fics out there that are frankly, dreck made by people who just want to escape their own lives and live vicariously. I don't deny that writing can be fun (creating the DF universe has been very very fulfilling) but truthfully i get maybe 300 hits over a week once i post an episode up. on the opposite side, i just started posting a Mass Effect/Stargate Crossover and already i'm hitting almost a thousand hits per chapter. Certain things just appeal to people.

I could go on for ages, but i need sleep :P Night all!

CommanderOZ

GateFans Noob
As far as "The Captives", i think it's a few reasons why it hasn't caught on well. One is the focus on internationality. Like it or not, the good ol' USA is popular :P

This is a theme I cannot understand, I would have thought making it more international has the effect of making it more appealing not less. At least the majority of my reviewrs have said so.

two is the - while realistic in some ways - way the SGC hsa been changed from a small operation that's really more of an underdog thing, to a type of Federation of Planets with fleets that go about the stars. [/cheeky]

Over a period of time, with the Stargate Programme revealed, this would be a natural progression imo.
three, the OCs are very rapidly introduced and focused on heavily. While not specifically mary sue, they do lean towards that quite a bit. The whole "ancient warrior' thing really sums up the 'chosen one' trope which more often than not doesn't really compel the reader much.

Your opinion only Sam, not so that of others who enjoy a little more balance and not have the total focus on the "team" that is so unrealistic. The SGC nor the ships of Stargate are not ghost towns with only a handful of characters wandering about. A typical navy frigate has about 180 personnel aboard.

fourthly, and i've talked to you about htis PJ, the Dialogue is kinda stilted at times and doesn't fit the scene. Mac explaining in detail his training at the Gamma Site about Ori Fighters while they're under fire is just so jarring it's hard to move past it. :P Yes i'm using that example again because even when you rewrote it, you DIDN"T CHANGE THAT!!!! :P

No I did not because after reading it a 1,000 times I could not see where you were coming from. I have been in similiar situations and my dialogue was exactly how someone in that position may ahve reacted, depending on his or her personality.

Popularity is not hte same as quality though, there are very popular fics out there that are frankly, dreck made by people who just want to escape their own lives and live vicariously. I don't deny that writing can be fun (creating the DF universe has been very very fulfilling) but truthfully i get maybe 300 hits over a week once i post an episode up. on the opposite side, i just started posting a Mass Effect/Stargate Crossover and already i'm hitting almost a thousand hits per chapter. Certain things just appeal to people.

And here is where I really get pissed off. It's ok to give a little critique on someone's story, but Sam you do this every opportunity you get, on every thread practically on GW, you run out another advertising campaign about YOUR stories. Yes they are great, and I enjoy them, but please as my friend leave it for your own threads.

Omnipotent

GateFans Noob
bad mood today Ray?

i for one agree with sam on the early heavy focus on the OC's and the internationality
to me it simply isnt the "Stargate" i want to "watch" similar to my feelings towards sgu but distinctly diffrent as your story lacks alot of the turn off that SGU has.

and Ray i dont think sam meant to offend you in anyway and im guesstimating he was just eagerly trying to prove his point as he normally does :P

anyway i havnt read the last few chapters but if it will make you happy ill give it another go Ray ;)

Aragon101

Illusive Deity of Fanfic
This is a theme I cannot understand, I would have thought making it more international has the effect of making it more appealing not less. At least the majority of my reviewrs have said so.

Over a period of time, with the Stargate Programme revealed, this would be a natural progression imo.

Your opinion only Sam, not so that of others who enjoy a little more balance and not have the total focus on the "team" that is so unrealistic. The SGC nor the ships of Stargate are not ghost towns with only a handful of characters wandering about. A typical navy frigate has about 180 personnel aboard.

No I did not because after reading it a 1,000 times I could not see where you were coming from. I have been in similiar situations and my dialogue was exactly how someone in that position may ahve reacted, depending on his or her personality.

And here is where I really get pissed off. It's ok to give a little critique on someone's story, but Sam you do this every opportunity you get, on every thread practically on GW, you run out another advertising campaign about YOUR stories. Yes they are great, and I enjoy them, but please as my friend leave it for your own threads.
I hardly ever advertise my fics TBH. I have my sig and that's it. I did so right now simply as a way to show yo numbers that i know for a fact. Forgive me if i offended.

I DO like The Captives, but i've found there are basically two different types of fanfiction fans out there in large majorities.

1.) The Techies. These are the people who thrive on reading a story that's full of explanations.

2.) The character fans. These are the people who thrive on reading about the established characters of the franchise.

I've written alot Ray, and i see the patterns. the more focus on original characters i put, the less popular it is even if it's amazing writing. Captives IS compelling and enjoyable, but remember that as Fanfiction, it doesn't work the same way as an original piece. An original piece draws people in under its own merit. a fanfiction has a set of fans who already like the show enough to look for fanfic of it. It's a much smaller percentage that actually are into original stuff like The Captives.

If i've offended, i ask forgiveness. it was not my intent nor am i happy about it.

CommanderOZ

GateFans Noob
Sorry if I sounded a bit off, new meds making me utterly sick. Now I know how women feel with morning sickness:eek:

On the subject, while I admit there seems to be those who want a total Stargate involvement, as I enjoy. My problem is with 99% percent of those written, claiming to be SG1 or Atlantis, they are still someone else's fantasy and after you read a bit, apart from having Jack or Sam or whoever, they're rarely worthy of being true to the form. The only reason I use OC's is to bolster the story line, give a little more depth and character beyond what was seen on the show.

And yes you're forgiven Sam.....just don't bloody do it again:P

Alex, read....read. You will enjoy it, that's an order:anubis-pancarte01: