Star Wars VII - The Force Awakens

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
To be honest the lack of more exposition on the galactic situation bothered me too. I would have preferred they trim other scenes to clear about five minutes and have Leia outline the situation with those shortly after they meet her or alternately show her sending Poe to Jakku and do it then. I still like the film but that little piece of exposition would have been welcome.

yeah, absolutely!

they supposedly shot those scenes

a flashback of Leia addressing the New Republic senate

the senate 'poo-pooing' her and implying she was a war monger

that the first order was nothing but a 'ghost'

then scenes from the 'present' where Leia's Resistance rep was addressing the Senate with proof of the FO's actions and moves back towards the core worlds

all we ever saw anywhere near this was when we see the Senate and the world it is on get blasted by the super duper, trans warp fire bolt!

they were supposed to be on the DVD as deleted scenes but i guess they didn't make it; probably holding them for the big ole boxed set of all 3 films

or they could still work them into ep's 8 or 9

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Special effects used in this film:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Where are they gonna take Star Wars now? Its like a washrag which has been wrung out now. :( There is NOTHING interesting about The First Order or the Knights of Ren, and Rey is not interesting either. BB8 is not as cool as R2D2, and there is nothing to replace C3PO or Han (no, Poe is not it). And why are Finn and Rose in it at all? At least make them interesting. Where are the Jedi?

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Boycot 9 .
It's finished ,,,

Yep, and that is because it has nowhere to go. Besides playing out the loose threads of the original storylines, what is left? The Republic is destroyed (again), and who cares about watching it rebuild again after it had already defeated the Empire and killed the Emperor? The dumb Force Awakens movie just threw us into a Star Wars where some extremely powerful evil force called The First Order came from nowhere, was headed by some dumb bobblehead named Snoke who also came from nowhere and faded back into nowhere, then an emo Darth Vader knockoff Kylo Ren. Then we see that Han and Leia evidently let the Republic go to seed, and allow it all to happen. Luke ends up as a hermit on an island drinking green milk from some creature, and tosses his lightsaber off a cliff. Rey comes out of nowhere, Han dies, Leia flies through space, and now what is left to do? Finn and Rose and Rey and BB8 and Poe are not gonna be able to give us any sort of story worth watching. Maz Kanata as a Yoda-esque replacement? Nah. There is nothing left.

starwarsisdead.jpg

Where are they gonna take Star Wars now? Its like a washrag which has been wrung out now. :( There is NOTHING interesting about The First Order or the Knights of Ren, and Rey is not interesting either. BB8 is not as cool as R2D2, and there is nothing to replace C3PO or Han (no, Poe is not it). And why are Finn and Rose in it at all? At least make them interesting. Where are the Jedi?

I've been reading some fanboi defense of Ruin Johnson where they claim he's a genius for "deconstructing" Star Wars. At the same time they criticize the original template that Lucas used of the simplistic "Good vs. Bad" Kurosawa samurai films from the 50's and 60's. It's shocking that these fanboi critics are so oblivious to reality. The simplistic formula Lucas used in the OT was what made it such a huge success. The confusing "deconstructed" plot of TLJ is what made it such a failure. This really isn't hard to understand yet the fanbois refuse to believe it.

Boycot 9 .
It's finished ,,,

I don't think we have to worry too much about actively boycotting the next turd from Ruin Johnson. It will probably happen naturally on its own.

Yep, and that is because it has nowhere to go. Besides playing out the loose threads of the original storylines, what is left? The Republic is destroyed (again), and who cares about watching it rebuild again after it had already defeated the Empire and killed the Emperor? The dumb Force Awakens movie just threw us into a Star Wars where some extremely powerful evil force called The First Order came from nowhere, was headed by some dumb bobblehead named Snoke who also came from nowhere and faded back into nowhere, then an emo Darth Vader knockoff Kylo Ren. Then we see that Han and Leia evidently let the Republic go to seed, and allow it all to happen. Luke ends up as a hermit on an island drinking green milk from some creature, and tosses his lightsaber off a cliff. Rey comes out of nowhere, Han dies, Leia flies through space, and now what is left to do? Finn and Rose and Rey and BB8 and Poe are not gonna be able to give us any sort of story worth watching. Maz Kanata as a Yoda-esque replacement? Nah. There is nothing left.

Everything you point out is true. What's underlining it is a complete lack of excitement or enthusiasm for the new movies. It's safe to say that all of us remembers the excitement of the old SW movies. There is none of that excitement with the Disney movies. None. There are scenes from the OT that have become part of the popular culture; memes that we still refer to 40 years after originally appearing on film. That's how good the story telling was compared to the SW of today. We're not getting that with these new movies. If anything the scenes we remember are an unintentional joke; Rose whining about not killing the enemy but saving the ones we love. (What does that even mean???) Or Leia pulling a Mary Poppins magic flying act. The fact is, no one finds these scenes exciting or relatable, we find them stupid and worthy of ridicule.

It still blows my mind that a corporation as successful as Disney has completely botched the handling of Star Wars. All they had to do was use the simplistic template of one of their cartoons and they would have had a slam dunk smash hit. SW fans don't want complicated, they don't want anything "deconstructed", they want easy-to-understand good vs. bad storytelling. That's it. Why a multi-billion dollar corporation that has built it's empire on exactly this type of simplistic storytelling suddenly doesn't get it is beyond me. Clearly there's something amiss in the boardroom.

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
I've been reading some fanboi defense of Ruin Johnson where they claim he's a genius for "deconstructing" Star Wars. At the same time they criticize the original template that Lucas used of the simplistic "Good vs. Bad" Kurosawa samurai films from the 50's and 60's. It's shocking that these fanboi critics are so oblivious to reality. The simplistic formula Lucas used in the OT was what made it such a huge success. The confusing "deconstructed" plot of TLJ is what made it such a failure. This really isn't hard to understand yet the fanbois refuse to believe it.

I don't think we have to worry too much about actively boycotting the next turd from Ruin Johnson. It will probably happen naturally on its own.

Everything you point out is true. What's underlining it is a complete lack of excitement or enthusiasm for the new movies. It's safe to say that all of us remembers the excitement of the old SW movies. There is none of that excitement with the Disney movies. None. There are scenes from the OT that have become part of the popular culture; memes that we still refer to 40 years after originally appearing on film. That's how good the story telling was compared to the SW of today. We're not getting that with these new movies. If anything the scenes we remember are an unintentional joke; Rose whining about not killing the enemy but saving the ones we love. (What does that even mean???) Or Leia pulling a Mary Poppins magic flying act. The fact is, no one finds these scenes exciting or relatable, we find them stupid and worthy of ridicule.

It still blows my mind that a corporation as successful as Disney has completely botched the handling of Star Wars. All they had to do was use the simplistic template of one of their cartoons and they would have had a slam dunk smash hit. SW fans don't want complicated, they don't want anything "deconstructed", they want easy-to-understand good vs. bad storytelling. That's it. Why a multi-billion dollar corporation that has built it's empire on exactly this type of simplistic storytelling suddenly doesn't get it is beyond me. Clearly there's something amiss in the boardroom.

I watched The Force Awakens, then Episode I (The Phantom Menace), and then Episode II, then The Last Jedi...in that order. Guess what? I dare say the PREQUELS are better than the latest two sequels (but not as good as Rogue One). The Last Jedi makes the prequels look good now. I had this same experience with Star Trek Enterprise after the 2009 reboot came out.

I watched The Force Awakens, then Episode I (The Phantom Menace), and then Episode II, then The Last Jedi...in that order. Guess what? I dare say the PREQUELS are better than the latest two sequels (but not as good as Rogue One). The Last Jedi makes the prequels look good now. I had this same experience with Star Trek Enterprise after the 2009 reboot came out.

I've been thinking the same thing about the prequels. I remember when I thought the prequels were terrible. I didn't envision a time when they would be considered good but here we are. It's rather sad when you think about it.

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
Where are the Jedi?

you know, we hav eeard from time to time in REBELS that obviously not all jedi were killed or captured/turned. some escaped and may be training others

we still have Ashoka out there timed at end of EP 6, and Ezra is out there somewhere too

probably the ONLY good thing they could do in ep9 is have a return of a jedi force

hey..sound familiar? :) ---ep's 7,8 do mirror eps 4,5 a bit so why not same with ep 9?

YJ02

Well Known GateFan
but not as good as Rogue One

the semi stand alones (as in diff story diff characters but within the over all story we know) like rogue one (but not SOLO!) ARE the way to go

i would find them more interesting if they were made as well as R1

----

related
live action series, this could be very good, or really,really bad

THE MANDALORIAN

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
the semi stand alones (as in diff story diff characters but within the over all story we know) like rogue one (but not SOLO!) ARE the way to go

i would find them more interesting if they were made as well as R1

----

related
live action series, this could be very good, or really,really bad

THE MANDALORIAN

Making it be only "The Mandalorian" instead of specifically Boba Fett makes it lame to me. :) Way back a couple of years ago after The Force Awakens came out, there was supposedly a new Boba Fett standalone in the works. We know Jango was killed in the prequels, but Boba is still around.

Instead, we get "The Mandalorian". So, are they gonna come out with a standalone called "The Wookies", but not have Chewbacca in it? With Kathleen Kennedy still at Lucasfilm, how do we know they won't wuss them up and make them all SJW? We saw in your clip at least one female Mandalorian warrior. No problem there, unless she is there to push some SJW agenda. Maybe I am just too cynical after all the flubs they have made since A New Hope II The Force Awakens?

I mean, look at that thumbnail...a Mandalorian with a lightsaber?

Last edited:

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an Ewok Jedi, or perhaps a Porg Sith or even a Gungan Jedi. Maybe a Death Cube. That giant First Order Supremacy ship....where did it come from and how did they get the resources to build it?

The Return of the Jedi = Empire DEFEATED, Republic restored > WHAT HAPPENED HERE IN 30 YEARS??? > The Force Awakens = Republic destroyed, First Order is ruling the galaxy?

How did the First Order come into being? How the f*ck did Han and Leia mess things up so bad that their son Ben became Kylo? Why didn't Luke help his sister out raising Ben to keep him good? Why did Han leave her? How come the other Republic planets did not prevent The First Order from becoming a problem? How come the planets near the Starkiller Base did not know it was being built and destroy construction of the weapon?

If Disney thought that fans would ignore all this and just get into the knockoff characters and buy stuffed Porg plush toys and Rey and Finn action figures, they have already been proven wrong about that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/luketh...-toys-selling-as-well-this-year/#47f1000054e5

http://fortune.com/2018/03/28/hasbro-star-wars-toys/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...les-fall-in-2017-as-movie-tie-fatigue-sets-in

Its fun to read the various theories the Corporate analysts come up with to explain the lackluster interest, because all of them ignore the obvious: Star Wars SUCKS now!

Why would anyone want this?

915mq-+CWJL._SX466_.jpg

Last edited:
At this point, I wouldn't be surprised if we get an Ewok Jedi, or perhaps a Porg Sith or even a Gungan Jedi. Maybe a Death Cube. That giant First Order Supremacy ship....where did it come from and how did they get the resources to build it?

The Return of the Jedi = Empire DEFEATED, Republic restored > WHAT HAPPENED HERE IN 30 YEARS??? > The Force Awakens - Republic destroyed, First Order is ruling the galaxy?

How did the First Order come into being? How the f*ck did Han and Leia mess things up so bad that their son Ben became Kylo? Why didn't Luke help his sister out raising Ben to keep him good? Why did Han leave her? How come the other Republic planets did not prevent The First Order from becoming a problem? How come the planets near the Starkiller Base did not know it was being built and destroy construction of the weapon?

If Disney thought that fans would ignore all this and just get into the knockoff characters and buy stuffed Porg plush toys and Rey and Finn action figures, they have already been proven wrong about that.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/luketh...-toys-selling-as-well-this-year/#47f1000054e5

http://fortune.com/2018/03/28/hasbro-star-wars-toys/

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...les-fall-in-2017-as-movie-tie-fatigue-sets-in

Its fun to read the various theories the Corporate analysts come up with to explain the lackluster interest, because all of them ignore the obvious: Star Wars SUCKS now!

Why would anyone want this?

View attachment 34770

Maybe if they actually made movies worth seeing and weren't so cynical with the brand marketing they might actually sell some merchandise. But when they start selling Star Wars coleslaw it's time to hang it up.

And yes, I'm dead serious about the coleslaw. It's been marketed through Dole and I've even seen it in my own grocery store.

coleslaw.jpg

Overmind One

GateFans Gatemaster
Staff member
Maybe if they actually made movies worth seeing and weren't so cynical with the brand marketing they might actually sell some merchandise. But when they start selling Star Wars coleslaw it's time to hang it up.

And yes, I'm dead serious about the coleslaw. It's been marketed through Dole and I've even seen it in my own grocery store.

View attachment 34771

Bahahaha! Cynical doesn't even begin to describe this silliness. I literally laughed out loud at the Captain Phasma baby carrots at Smart & Final. And yeah, they are selling that coleslaw at my local S&F too! :) Here are some more...

24261359197_2aee8818f4_b.jpg

More silliness....

81if0tdq2FL._AC_SS350_.jpg radox-shampoo-star-wars-400ml-1029160.jpg

Lord Ba'al

Well Known GateFan
That sorta thing would be a reason for me not to buy that particular product.

Bahahaha! Cynical doesn't even begin to describe this silliness. I literally laughed out loud at the Captain Phasma baby carrots at Smart & Final. And yeah, they are selling that coleslaw at my local S&F too! :) Here are some more...

View attachment 34772

More silliness....

View attachment 34773 View attachment 34774

Try as I might I can't find any legitimate reason to brand coleslaw with the SW logo. Do they really think kids are going to see a bag of cabbage and then beg mommy to buy it for them? A sugary cereal is one thing because it obviously plays to a kid's palette but this is a bag of freakin' shredded cabbage. And it's not like you're going to save the package after you open it. Why would you? It's a gross cabbage bag. The whole marketing scheme is dumb and the people responsible for it should be fired. They're idiots.

ezgif.com-add-text (2).gif